Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried searching the website for this issue but did not find anything. I noticed that in the navigation system, the speed limit is missing on most of the local road and is inaccurate on some roads where is was reduced 10 years ago. The vehicle is brand new and I did the update but the TomTom system is nowhere as good as the one Ford has.

I thought I read somewhere that there is delay in getting the information from Tom Tom to Subaru. What is the best way to the the most current updates? Do you have to got through Subaru or can you go directly to Tom Tom?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
800 Posts
I tried searching the website for this issue but did not find anything. I noticed that in the navigation system, the speed limit is missing on most of the local road and is inaccurate on some roads where is was reduced 10 years ago. The vehicle is brand new and I did the update but the TomTom system is nowhere as good as the one Ford has.

I thought I read somewhere that there is delay in getting the information from Tom Tom to Subaru. What is the best way to the the most current updates? Do you have to got through Subaru or can you go directly to Tom Tom?
If you have already done an update over WiFi or using the USB method with the most current version of the overall software which includes general map data, you still need to download the detailed map info for your region (state) over WiFi. Look in your Radio and Navigation manual for how to do that.

This may or may not fix the speed limit errors, I've noticed that for some local roads where the speed limit was incorrect, later updates just removed the speed limit altogether on some roads while others were corrected.

Reactions: Big Guy

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have already done an update over WiFi or using the USB method with the most current version of the overall software which includes general map data, you still need to download the detailed map info for your region (state) over WiFi. Look in your Radio and Navigation manual for how to do that.

This may or may not fix the speed limit errors, I've noticed that for some local roads where the speed limit was incorrect, later updates just removed the speed limit altogether on some roads while others were corrected.
Thank you. I thought some of the local speed limits were gone after an update but since I only had the car a week, thought I was mistaken.

·
Registered
2020 Touring
25 Posts
The Ascent speed limit database isn't great, I run into issues many places where others have been fine. Wish it had a sign reading system to help (that works). Others have it and it really adds to the NAV.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
Thank you. I thought some of the local speed limits were gone after an update but since I only had the car a week, thought I was mistaken.
If you lost a bunch of 25 mph speed limits, you're welcome. ;)

A few of us had been bugging Subaru to get TomTom and Harman Kardon to fix the issue. When the system didn't have a speed limit on a local/residential road, it would default to 25 mph. With the recent updates, instead, it displays no number, because it doesn't know the number.

Firmware and maps updates will provide you the best possible chance of accurate speed limits. I find that it's no more inaccurate than Google (here in the NY Metro area, or on my many travels nationwide). It's interesting to see which will be accurate on any given road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my Ascent on Saturday after the salesman told me it has speed sign reading through the cameras (like my Ford Explorer did) .... found out through these forums that isnt true (their manual doesnt give any help in that area).
I looked on the update screen and it says to download the aha app? Still figuring out the easiest way to update the navigation as it is reading most roads around my house as 30 mph when they are ranging between 25 and 45. So crazy that they cant have the technology for reading the signs with all the cameras they have!

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
I bought my Ascent on Saturday after the salesman told me it has speed sign reading through the cameras (like my Ford Explorer did) .... found out through these forums that isnt true (their manual doesnt give any help in that area).
I looked on the update screen and it says to download the aha app? Still figuring out the easiest way to update the navigation as it is reading most roads around my house as 30 mph when they are ranging between 25 and 45. So crazy that they cant have the technology for reading the signs with all the cameras they have!
You can skip the AHA app and please never install the Starlink app on a modern phone. I wrote instructions here:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts