Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well our Ascent has accumulated over 2000 miles since we took delivery end of August. It has been on two overnight trips and numerous local trips in addition to the daily grind of commuting too and from work.
Wife still loves the car and it has been an quantum jump over her 2016 2.5 OB Limited and a much better ride than my 2017 3.6R Touring.

To date it has done everything without issues, we acknowledge city MPG isn't great, highway MPG has been acceptable but not better than the 3.6R driven at similar speeds. It will cruise much faster and is deceptive in apparent speed so one must watch the speedo if you are ahead of the traffic flow on the interstate.

Had our first issue this weekend when we programed the hotel address into the navigation system for a location about 80 miles away. System would recognize the address and after we selected it to proceed, the calculation process would initiate and then hang at 33~35% followed by an error message that it could not complete the route calculations. Next attempted two more addresses in same city and got the same results each time. Loaded a previously used address and the system would complete the task.

Next got out my trusty standby Garmin and loaded the same addresses. Worked as expected.

During the next hour of driving to location attempted to use car OEM with no success. Finally when we had driven about 3/4 the distance OEM nav system worked as intended. We use it the remainder of that day and next, but when it was time to return home it failed to calculate my home address after our first stop. Again it went to 33% and generated error message. I knew how to get home so never used Garmin, we stopped once more closer to home and it again worked.

Today attempted to use the hotel address used over the weekend and again got the 33% calculation error. Guess it is time to call dealer. We attempted to use Subaru Service through the concierge services on our way Friday but all they could do is verify from their end that everything was green and working. :(

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Hi, try connecting to your home wifi, and then download "regions" (states) into the navigation system, and see if that fixes the issue. You can download up to 8 of them. Let me know if that helps.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks will try that funny that the system does not prompt one to use regions like other gps systems? Guess I will need to see what states are paired to what region because the first trip in September was also out of our state without issue.
Next question, 'connecting to my home wifi" does that require activation of the hotspot? I have not done that and don't need the hotspot feature.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thanks will try that funny that the system does not prompt one to use regions like other gps systems? Guess I will need to see what states are paired to what region because the first trip in September was also out of our state without issue.
From what I can discern, it has a more limited database "built in", which could be the reason for your routing errors. So, loading the detailed routing information for your state may fix it. So, many routes will succeed, while some will fail. I've got no idea how TomTom decides what info is included though.

Next question, 'connecting to my home wifi" does that require activation of the hotspot? I have not done that and don't need the hotspot feature.
No, that's for in car wifi hotspot via AT&T. You do get a free trial though, that's limited to a month or 1GB of data, whichever comes first. But, you don't have to activate that to accomplish what you need to for the maps - that's a totally different wifi thing.

What you need to do is connect your car's infotainment system to your wifi. That's in a different setting than the wifi hotspot. If your wifi is too far away, you can "cheat" by temporarily starting a wifi hotspot on your phone (assuming your phone's data plan supports it), connecting to that wifi network, and downloading the regions you need, then remove that wifi connection from the car's infotainment system.

SIDE NOTE:
If you do decide to set up the AT&T hotspot, it's $20 a month for "unlimited" (generally 22GB un-throttled, everything after that is throttled), or as low as $10/month if you already have a post-paid AT&T phone plan. Following the instructions in the emails from AT&T will walk you through setting up the correct plan, if you choose to permanently enable the hotspot. Remember, this isn't necessary for what you need to do. Just figured I'd cover it since you brought it up. ;)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again read owner manual and while I could see the region data would rectify a location several states away, my state data has been working find but it would not load my home location for return that should be in that data set already. When I have more time will look and load more regions in system, in the mean time I sent SOA a note outlining the problem before going to dealer later for their analysis

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Thanks again read owner manual and while I could see the region data would rectify a location several states away, my state data has been working find but it would not load my home location for return that should be in that data set already. When I have more time will look and load more regions in system, in the mean time I sent SOA a note outlining the problem before going to dealer later for their analysis
Your region is not automatically loaded. None are.

·
Registered
98 Posts
There is a problem with the Harmon Kardin head units and they are trying to fix it. If you try to register your Ascent on Subaru-maps.com (where I was told to get my first usb update), you'll get a message that your vehicle isn't registered yet.

Subaru support said I would have to wait for HK to fix it and their time frame is "a few weeks". It's been 3 so far.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
There is a problem with the Harmon Kardin head units and they are trying to fix it. If you try to register your Ascent on Subaru-maps.com (where I was told to get my first usb update), you'll get a message that your vehicle isn't registered yet.

Subaru support said I would have to wait for HK to fix it and their time frame is "a few weeks". It's been 3 so far.
That's something else entirely, and doesn't affect downloading map data via wifi.

It's also not a problem with the head unit. It's a problem with the Harman website.

Mine took two months to shown on Harman's website, but I downloaded map data ("regions") on day one directly via the head unit.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on Nav
First wrote SOA on problem but got a response to take the car to the dealer since they were unaware of any issues. Made an appointment for today and when I arrived service manager had all of the particulars regarding not calculating routes statomg he too had been in touch with SOA and this was a know common problem with many 2019 cars with the Tom Tom nav system. They took a video of the problem for documentation back to SOA for my car. Since it does not impact normal operation I was finished and received a complimentary car wash and was told they expected a solution in the next few weeks.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Update on Nav
First wrote SOA on problem but got a response to take the car to the dealer since they were unaware of any issues. Made an appointment for today and when I arrived service manager had all of the particulars regarding not calculating routes statomg he too had been in touch with SOA and this was a know common problem with many 2019 cars with the Tom Tom nav system. They took a video of the problem for documentation back to SOA for my car. Since it does not impact normal operation I was finished and received a complimentary car wash and was told they expected a solution in the next few weeks.

Hi, I still strongly suggest you download *your* region to the car via wifi download. There's incomplete region data for all 50 states in the system. Your region's complete data set is absolutely not downloaded automatically.

While this may not fix your routing issue, it has fixed it for myself and numerous others.

It all depends on whether the missing data is included in the full region file, or whether the update includes better routing information than the considerably* smaller subset that's included with the radio by default.

* The full map data is so much bigger that you can only download up to 8 regions. When you select them, you'll see just how big they are.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I connected to my home wifi but the regions will not display for download. There are no regions loaded and the options to select them are greyed out. SOA is slow to help and seemed annoyed with me when I called. I guess it is due to another trip to the dealer. Something isn't working.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I connected to my home wifi but the regions will not display for download. There are no regions loaded and the options to select them are greyed out. SOA is slow to help and seemed annoyed with me when I called. I guess it is due to another trip to the dealer. Something isn't working.
I'll make you a step by step video tomorrow if you want, and we can see if that helps.

What trim level do you have?

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Actually, you don't need a video. You're doing it correctly. Click "check for updates" on the map update screen. If you see it asking you to connect to wifi, you're too far away from the wifi router.

Once you have a stronger signal, you will have access to the "regions" (states).

I just replicated this with some trials and errors here. ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
NAV failures

I have this problem also. My unit will not calculate to addresses in the Chicago metro area. It finds the address, but can't complete the calculation. Personnel at my dealer told me to try vocal input vs. manual input for the address. This has worked so far. I have tried areas in MN, SD, WY, UT, TX, AR, TN and CA, all have worked with both types of input. Contacted TomTom -- was told it's not their problem. Waiting on SOA for an answer!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
Hey folks, I know this is old, but, as I've been saying elsewhere when this comes up, the solution is to install the latest firmware update, and re-load all map "regions" to fix the "Navigation Canceled" or "Route Failed" (etc) errors.

Well, those instructions are now part of Subaru TSB 15-247-19.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi All ... i just got my Ascent about 2 weeks ago. 2020 Limited. I did my first "long" trip today (about 80 miles 1 way). When I was about 10 min away from the destination, the navigation just kind of froze up. The wheel kept spinning, not showing the map. The starlink screen would flash every 30 seconds or so. The menu screen would work every so often and I tried to cancel the route but when I did nothing happened. I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I shut the car off and went into work. Hopefully it'll reset by the time I leave. Do you guys think the update talked about above will work? I would have assumed everything would have been updated already.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.