Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow subies. Have been waiting for my vin info to make it all the way to Harman/Kardon (h/k) to register the starlink navigation system. they finally got it, and i registered the car/unit. they report that there is no update available; but in my experience with all other gps devices, they are loaded with a baseline mapset and require an update to the latest maps right away. in going through the car's nav system settings, there is a selection for map update and a line to select region(s) which is grayed out. another screen comes up that refers you to a website to enter a 20 character code number that is shown. the website is not shown. i have exhausted all websites i have been able to discover with no joy. my dealer was no help either, and asked me to send them any info i uncover playing detective. has anyone out there had a similar situation and found a solution? thanks to any potential sherlocks out there! btw, really loving the car. we have a whole 150 mi on it, mostly from the two 50 mile round trips to the dealer to install options. might actually drive it somewhere when we figure out the systems. hope you're enjoying yours. last bubu we owned was in 1981.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the same problem of select region being greyed out and it turned out being that the car needed to be connected to wifi (connected to the internet) in order for region select to be enabled.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
Hello fellow subies. Have been waiting for my vin info to make it all the way to Harman/Kardon (h/k) to register the starlink navigation system. they finally got it, and i registered the car/unit. they report that there is no update available; but in my experience with all other gps devices, they are loaded with a baseline mapset and require an update to the latest maps right away. in going through the car's nav system settings, there is a selection for map update and a line to select region(s) which is grayed out. another screen comes up that refers you to a website to enter a 20 character code number that is shown. the website is not shown. i have exhausted all websites i have been able to discover with no joy. my dealer was no help either, and asked me to send them any info i uncover playing detective. has anyone out there had a similar situation and found a solution? thanks to any potential sherlocks out there! btw, really loving the car. we have a whole 150 mi on it, mostly from the two 50 mile round trips to the dealer to install options. might actually drive it somewhere when we figure out the systems. hope you're enjoying yours. last bubu we owned was in 1981.
Your car's nav system has to be connected to the internet before you can download map updates. Your home Wi-Fi network will work if it is near enough or a smart phone Wi-Fi hot spot will work (or Starbucks parking lot). This is not the car's Wi-Fi hot spot, which is different and can cause confusion.

From the nav Home screen tap Settings, it should default to General settings, the leftmost button. Scroll down to Wi-Fi and tap that, then tap the On button to turn on the cars Wi-Fi. Go back to the previous menu and tap Wi-Fi Settings. You should see a list of available networks and should see yours and other nearby networks. Find your own network and tap that name, then enter your network password. Your Ascent will now automatically connect to this network and check for updates whenever it is within range.

Go back to you nav update screen and the Regions will no longer be grayed out. You can pick up to 8 regions, which are listed by State names. They download fairly quickly.

I had to move my Ascent out of the garage and nearer to the house to get a good Wi-Fi signal. Also, if your internet router has 2 bands, choose the 2.4ghz band which will be stronger over a longer distance and through walls than the 5ghz band.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
map success!

thanks to all who responded, especially garyinmi, for the solution. connected my wi-fi amplifier in the garage, and voila. showed a connection to regular network originally, but must have been fringe signal. now loaded up and ready to rock. now just need some place to go. thanks to all.:grin:

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
803 Posts
Happy to help, happy driving!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.