Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this is a coincidence or not, but our Touring nav system stopped finding destinations whether we spoke them or typed then in when stopped.

I was in the process of adding an aftermarket HUD (mainly MPH so at least that would match our 2018 Accord). This is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D5SFXM2

I had tried programming some of the functions in the driveway, and didn't pay any attention to the order in which the HUD was turned on or plugged in, relative to the car running or not. So today I let my wife drive to Chicago while I attempted to program the HUD. But when she attempted navigation, it wouldn't work. It wouldn't find previously stored destinations, favorites, or home. The map worked and showed where we were. So I unplugged the HUD, and nothing changed. We pulled over briefly, shut the car off and tried again, but still the same.

After our Chicago visit of several hours I plugged the HUD back in and started the car. Now everything is back to normal. So does anyone have an idea on this one? It seems bizarre that a surge on the OBD II bus, caused by plugging the HUD in after the car was running, could cause the search functions of navigation to get whacked.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
It shouldn't be relevant. In the event the OBD2 dongle interfered, you'd note your dash lit like a Christmas tree and (not "or") there would be a code stored regarding a communications error.

Go into the Nav settings and download your "region" (state) and try again.

Also make sure you've installed the latest update to the system. You will need a newer model 16GB or larger USB drive - the faster the better. You can grab it here:
https://subaru-maps.com

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for this info.
As it turns out, the vendor replied to my questions and they said yes, the HUD needs to be plugged in prior to starting the car. I don't know if they actually knew that from their own testing or they just agreed with my findings.
I have no idea why it whacked the nav search function, but it has been working ok since.

We are driving from Chicago to Florida Keys in a few days. Should we be updating maps for the whole trip down there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.