Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Figured I'd hop in here and introduce myself. My name is Jason Griffith and I'm one of the owners of Nameless Performance. We are just coming up on our ten year anniversary of developing and manufacturing quality exhaust systems in the Subaru market. We build all of our systems right here in our shop from the mufflers to the tips. All of our tubing is CNC mandrel bent in-house and TIG welded by our team.

With the release of the COBB AccessPort for the Ascent, we are excited to bring a downpipe to market and we have a car coming into the shop in the very near future for that purpose. I know there was some misconception about the efficacy of our mid pipe for performance gains without a downpipe in some other threads, and I'd like to get that cleared up as well. While we haven't done any back to back dyno testing on the 2.4DIT for the catback, it has been our experience that while a catback or axleback generally produce very little peak horsepower, they both tend to improve the midrange torque, the midpipe especially so.

While we have the Ascent in the shop in the next few weeks we would also like to get an idea of what our customers would have interest in us taking a look at on these vehicles. In other discussion groups we are hearing interest for an intake - which I'm certain we could accommodate. Let us know what you'd like to see us look further into and we'll report back here.

And if you haven't had a chance to take a peek at what we have available for this market, we have a nice selection of products, which are all currently 12% off for the next six days as our year end sale culminates. Now is a great chance to get your foot in the door with a muffled axleback or strut tower bar at a discount. The code is BYE2019.

If you’ve got any questions about our products, feel free to DM me here on the forum or comment below. Thanks for your time today, have a great weekend and be good to each other! Cheers.

Jason Griffith
Engineering Director
Nameless Performance, Inc.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a downpipe and stage 2 tune on my other vehicle, and I'm impressed not just at the torque and power, but the fact I can use that torque and still get 10% better mpg than I had when it was stock.
I think on the Ascent there's one major fear that increasing the torque too much will damage the transmission. COBB map for 93 gas already increases torque 20% over stock, adding a downpipe+midpipe could surely increase it a bit more, but I would be weary of pushing it too much.
Now my suggestion would be a stage 2 map for the access port to match your downpipe with similar torque as COBB Stage 1 (which they assure is safe for the transmission), but focused also on fuel efficiency. I think a 20% increase is more than decent, and if you can show test data that your pipe gives you better fuel economy while still letting you enjoy the extra power... it would help you sell it!

·
Registered
559 Posts
IMO it's essential to have data to back up your claims. Put the vehicle on a dyno and measure the difference with the various downpipe/exhaust configurations, maybe with and without the performance tune as well. Seeing the performance gain, if any, over the RPM range would be very helpful.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think there is a very good basis for that concern about going overboard with aggressive tuning on the CVT. However, this platform does have a much more robust CVT than earlier vehicles from my understanding. Either way I think the key variable is not hammering the heck out of the car and stressing the drivetrain more than it is simply having the torque on demand. One very reputable tuner blew their FXT gearbox up right out of the gate in late 2013/early 2014 after running down in the low 13's in the quarter mile with nothing but a tune. But that's using everything on the table to get that car to hook up and launch.

As for fuel economy - I would absolutely concur with your experience. I had a 2015 WRX with our full turboback and a pro-tune from Lance Lucas over at Cobb and it was incredible how the FA20DIT responded to the tune from an economy standpoint. At cruise, economy was improved nearly 10mpg. But at wide open throttle, she ate like nothing else!

We plan to test the catback on the dyno with and without a tune (before and after for both), but I'm not sure we will be offering a tune for our downpipe, rather, we will offer it and allow people to choose a tuner and discuss their needs and how aggressive they want with that person, because honestly, that's the way it's going to go - the accessport is most likely never going to have a Stage 2 off the shelf tune.

Jason

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
IMO it's essential to have data to back up your claims. Put the vehicle on a dyno and measure the difference with the various downpipe/exhaust configurations, maybe with and without the performance tune as well. Seeing the performance gain, if any, over the RPM range would be very helpful.
Yep that's pretty easy, to be honest. Our local test car already has our full catback and will be coming in next for the downpipe and straight in for a pro-tune. I'll have the after numbers for it, but I have no idea if the customer did a baseline. Either way we will do baseline with tune, without stage 1 off-the-shelf tune and then after the catback with both factory and OTS S1 tune.

I'd suspect a pronounced midrange torque gain for both of the 'after catback' in the midrange with maybe 8hp gain at the peak. The EJ257 picked up 21hp at 3300rpm and 34ftlb at the same range. Here's our graphs of torque and horsepower on those cars using a very similar catback design to the one we have for the Ascent:

Gains for the turboback include the change of the tune, which is another reason why we would avoid advertising turboback or downpipe gains when there isn't an off the shelf tune available and the gains are predicated on the tune itself as much as they are the mechanical parts. That being said, we would certainly feel that the data our customers would share publicly about the gains they got with the tuner they chose would be the data set to back up the downpipe or turboback.

Jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi all,

Figured I'd hop in here and introduce myself. My name is Jason Griffith and I'm one of the owners of Nameless Performance. We are just coming up on our ten year anniversary of developing and manufacturing quality exhaust systems in the Subaru market. We build all of our systems right here in our shop from the mufflers to the tips. All of our tubing is CNC mandrel bent in-house and TIG welded by our team.

With the release of the COBB AccessPort for the Ascent, we are excited to bring a downpipe to market and we have a car coming into the shop in the very near future for that purpose. I know there was some misconception about the efficacy of our mid pipe for performance gains without a downpipe in some other threads, and I'd like to get that cleared up as well. While we haven't done any back to back dyno testing on the 2.4DIT for the catback, it has been our experience that while a catback or axleback generally produce very little peak horsepower, they both tend to improve the midrange torque, the midpipe especially so.

While we have the Ascent in the shop in the next few weeks we would also like to get an idea of what our customers would have interest in us taking a look at on these vehicles. In other discussion groups we are hearing interest for an intake - which I'm certain we could accommodate. Let us know what you'd like to see us look further into and we'll report back here.

And if you haven't had a chance to take a peek at what we have available for this market, we have a nice selection of products, which are all currently 12% off for the next six days as our year end sale culminates. Now is a great chance to get your foot in the door with a muffled axleback or strut tower bar at a discount. The code is BYE2019.

If you’ve got any questions about our products, feel free to DM me here on the forum or comment below. Thanks for your time today, have a great weekend and be good to each other! Cheers.

Jason Griffith
Engineering Director
Nameless Performance, Inc.
In addition to the exhaust component your company should start working on bigger sway bars, and end links, etc. Because this is a north American only vehicle the JDM mod parts are lacking on this model. Hopefully with the introduction of this vehicle to Asian market in the coming year, we should be able to see more.

·
Registered
685 Posts
In addition to the exhaust component your company should start working on bigger sway bars, and end links, etc.
I think sway bars are going to be a stretch, unless the sway bar components show up on other cars. The 2020 Outback has the same diameter FRONT bar, but I am not sure it's the same bar.

In the mean time there is this small, homegrown enthusiast who fabricates performance sway bar bushings. These are available now. :love:

·
Registered
731 Posts
Need a fatter rear bar for this vehicle. I’ve said it before I owned one. My 14 FXT needed one too and it was the best mod I did to the car. It doesn’t have to be much fatter, just 1mm or 2mm.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think sway bars are going to be a stretch, unless the sway bar components show up on other cars. The 2020 Outback has the same diameter FRONT bar, but I am not sure it's the same bar.

In the meantime there is this small, homegrown enthusiast who fabricates performance sway bar bushings. These are available now. :love:

Currently, several JDM manufacturers are introducing new products for the new Subaru global platform. It is just a matter of time. The same happened with the Forester SJ; it took time and experimentation. As BroDoze, it was the cheapest and best suspension mod for that vehicle.

·
Registered
731 Posts
^^ Was so easy too as it was just the OEM STI rear bar and rubber bushings.
No high-maintenance poly bushings or new end-links required. Probably won’t get that lucky with the Ascent. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts