Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I put a strut bar brace on my first Impreza I had 20 years ago. Haven't put one on a vehicle since. There is not necessarily anything wrong with them, but for a daily driver any difference you feel in handling is in your head.

This has been discussed and beat to death on every automotive forum. Unless you have a track-tuned car with a modified and lightened shell that you're tossing into the corners of a race track, then a strut brace will have no benefit.

From an engineering perspective, it actually has the potential to cause more damage in a particular type of accident - like if someone hit your front end from the side - it can transfer those forces to the opposite side rather than allowing the vehicle to crumple as designed. Otherwise, you're be better off spending your money on polyurethane bushings, rather than trying to eliminate a flex in the body shell that doesn't exist.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put a strut bar brace on my first Impreza I had 20 years ago. Haven't put one on a vehicle since. There is not necessarily anything wrong with them, but for a daily driver any difference you feel in handling is in your head.

This has been discussed and beat to death on every automotive forum. Unless you have a track-tuned car with a modified and lightened shell that you're tossing into the corners of a race track, then a strut brace will have no benefit.

From an engineering perspective, it actually has the potential to cause more damage in a particular type of accident - like if someone hit your front end from the side - it can transfer those forces to the opposite side rather than allowing the vehicle to crumple as designed. Otherwise, you're be better off spending your money on polyurethane bushings, rather than trying to eliminate a flex in the body shell that doesn't exist.
Honestly I purchased this on impulse, but on my travels to work I have to go through about 4 to 5 really sharp turns and I find that I have to slow down to almost a halt just to be able to make these turns because the cars feels pretty clumsy and unpredictable sometimes. I was hoping this helped out a little in that area.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update, nameless emailed me and said there powder coating machine is down so they are waiting on it to be repaired:(

·
Registered
655 Posts
Like any chassis brace, there will be a trade-off. When it comes to chassis and suspension, I usually like anywhere I can get them.

I suspect the car will feel more solid and might have some induced NVH, nothing new here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Finally got my bar and installed. Took over month and a half. I don’t know how long it would take to fab two bars welded together with a nameplate and then powder coated. Pretty straightforward install except for a minor fitment issue with the bar touching the a/c line that runs next to the drivers side strut mount. I am trying to solve this with some mount washers I had. I’ll lupdate with results later. For most drivers, you will feel no change at all. Now if you are like an aggressive driver like myself, then you will Feel some change. The car feels more stable now, previously the tires felt like they bounced back and forth. Hard cornering is improved with less body roll. Sharp lane changes does not wobble as much. So it does it’s job for the most part, although I would have preferred a completely solid bar with adjustable strut mount brackets and was bigger with more rigidity. Clearance is not an issue ad the bar is recessed enough to avoid the hood. For the price, I don’t know if I would have chosen this as my top choice, but without other manufacturers this is what we have.
A7B5AC42-4E32-4F42-AE87-29B7BF91A87A.jpeg

You can see on the right side the bar sitting on the a/c line. I wrapped the line with some foam insulation I had lying around. I doubt this would really cause an issue as the part after where it touches is a flex line so it’s likely not to break. But I have noticed more noise when I turn on the a/c. I’m guessing that the bar touching the line is causing some vibrational noise. Two other things of note, when installing the bar I noticed that strut mount nuts were pretty loose (meaning it took little effort to loosen and remove). Anyone with weird vibration in the front end check your strut mount nuts. They’re probably loose. Second thing, I believe I found a second point of adjustment for the hood for those that have an uneven gap between the hod and fender like I did. About the middle of the hood on the edge that touches the fender, there is another rubber bushing like the one on the front near the grill. I didn’t think anything of it but gave it a few twists because unlike the front bushing, the ones in the middle are free floating. But when I closed the hood, the spacing improved almost to the point of being even. I’ll check this out further since I am writing this and 2am. Will update as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,989 Posts
Took over month and a half. I don’t know how long it would take to fab two bars welded together with a nameplate and then powder coated.
Things like that are generally built and finished in batches...they were probably collecting orders for enough product and building them to meet the minimum quantity requirements for subcontracted work. This is very common with small specialty manufacturers. I don't know this company from Adam, but that would be my suspicion. :)

Red...very red. 'Glad you see a positive difference!

Reactions: packout

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just ordered a black one yesterday, shipped today. So they do have stock, look forward to getting it on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got mine and the difference is subtle, but noticeable. Where it's noticeable and better with it is on long on or off-ramps and during 90 degrees onto another street at just about any speed. The front end just feels more predictable and confident. I don't mind the steering assist, but some people have complained that it's too automated and you lose feel of the road. Well the strut bar is for those people. It will give you that contact feeling.

Love it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
There is an easy way to determine if the Ascent can benefit from a front strut brace.

Get a cheap fish scale that will save the max weight, attach a heavy fishing leader to each side.

Attach each end of the leader to the strut bolts, stretch it just tight enough to hold the leaders and scale taught.

Go out and drive it like you stole it.

Check the max weight showing on the scale, if it didn't change by a significant amount, you don't need a strut bar up front.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Finally got my bar and installed. Took over month and a half. I don’t know how long it would take to fab two bars welded together with a nameplate and then powder coated. Pretty straightforward install except for a minor fitment issue with the bar touching the a/c line that runs next to the drivers side strut mount. I am trying to solve this with some mount washers I had. I’ll lupdate with results later. For most drivers, you will feel no change at all. Now if you are like an aggressive driver like myself, then you will Feel some change. The car feels more stable now, previously the tires felt like they bounced back and forth. Hard cornering is improved with less body roll. Sharp lane changes does not wobble as much. So it does it’s job for the most part, although I would have preferred a completely solid bar with adjustable strut mount brackets and was bigger with more rigidity. Clearance is not an issue ad the bar is recessed enough to avoid the hood. For the price, I don’t know if I would have chosen this as my top choice, but without other manufacturers this is what we have. View attachment 1792 View attachment 1792
You can see on the right side the bar sitting on the a/c line. I wrapped the line with some foam insulation I had lying around. I doubt this would really cause an issue as the part after where it touches is a flex line so it’s likely not to break. But I have noticed more noise when I turn on the a/c. I’m guessing that the bar touching the line is causing some vibrational noise. Two other things of note, when installing the bar I noticed that strut mount nuts were pretty loose (meaning it took little effort to loosen and remove). Anyone with weird vibration in the front end check your strut mount nuts. They’re probably loose. Second thing, I believe I found a second point of adjustment for the hood for those that have an uneven gap between the hod and fender like I did. About the middle of the hood on the edge that touches the fender, there is another rubber bushing like the one on the front near the grill. I didn’t think anything of it but gave it a few twists because unlike the front bushing, the ones in the middle are free floating. But when I closed the hood, the spacing improved almost to the point of being even. I’ll check this out further since I am writing this and 2am. Will update as soon as possible.
Hi just ordered mine for my ascent...since you had your sway bar any updates on if you feel a difference since your last post

·
Registered
125 Posts
Sorry haven’t been on the forum much lately. To tell you truth you really don’t feel it much unless you’re making a hard turn. I think the lower tie bar I added helps more. I’ve noticed that the Ascent is prone to wheel instability if there is any give in the suspension. So if you find something that moves even a little, I would tighten it some. Now I don’t present myself as an expert by any means so anything you do to your car is none of my responsibility. Be safe

1 - 20 of 25 Posts