Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received a call from my dealer where my car is being serviced that they are unable to repair a nail in the center of a tire without replacing all tires. Tires are less than a year old and were replaced previously at the dealer with less than 10,000 miles wear on them. Dealer says that they are unable to repair the tire because of tire depth (Ok, so maybe 2 new tires), but apparently, they are not allowed due to Subaru policy - change just the 2 tires because of the difference in wear between the front and back - apparently all 4 tires need to be changed. The car went trough a service 5 months ago where the tires were apparently rotated.

Service rep told me that the AWD system on the Ascent is different from other cars and monitors the difference between the tires.

My comments would be do not purchase tires from Subaru dealers directly as their warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. Do yourself a favor - buy from Sam's club or elsewhere and avoid the $200 markup on dealer pricing.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Ascent Limited 2010 Subaru Legacy GT limited
829 Posts
Subaru does indeed only allow 2/32 difference between tread depths on all 4 tires. I can't comment on the pricing you received, however, I can say if it were me I may have put a plug in it and let it ride to the next set of tires. I did buy my last set from the dealer, but only because 1. the price was cheaper than anywhere else and 2. road hazard is included for 2 years. I haven't had to use the road hazard yet so if it turns out to be a pain then I would recommend shopping elsewhere. I normally use Discount Tire.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can't comment on the s Bah, Ruben beat me to it.

If you are ever in the position where you must replace one tire and the other three are all still good; you can get most tire places to shave down the replacement to be in-spec with the other three. It sucks intentionally taking miles off a new tire, but it's cheaper than buying three more. Sometimes that just how it goes.

·
Super Moderator
3,214 Posts
Its not exactly correct to say the car monitors the difference between different tires. Its more like you could start wearing and breaking things if there is too much difference.

I haven't had to use the road hazard yet so if it turns out to be a pain then I would recommend shopping elsewhere.
Now you're guaranteed a nail in a tire on day 731

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subaru does indeed only allow 2/32 difference between tread depths on all 4 tires. I can't comment on the pricing you received, however, I can say if it were me I may have put a plug in it and let it ride to the next set of tires. I did buy my last set from the dealer, but only because 1. the price was cheaper than anywhere else and 2. road hazard is included for 2 years. I haven't had to use the road hazard yet so if it turns out to be a pain then I would recommend shopping elsewhere. I normally use Discount Tire.
Thanks Ruben,

I think my biggest issue is I purchased these tires from the dealer and they apparently "rotated them" 5100 miles ago at its last service. Are the tires that Subaru sells just really fast wearing? And if they are then how do they allow rotating between services?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ruben,

I think my biggest issue is I purchased these tires from the dealer and they apparently "rotated them" 5100 miles ago at its last service. Are the tires that Subaru sells just really fast wearing? And if they are then how do they allow rotating between services?
BTW - I also purchased them for the hazard warranty in part - but in this case that does not count...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks Ruben,

Tires aren't fast wearing unless something is off. You might want to have your Ascent checked for alignment on all 4 wheels. If alignment is good and tire pressure is good, the tire should wear normally. I'm at 18000 miles on mine and I still have a lot of life to go.
If your alignment is bad, correcting it will also help improve steering and mpg, so it's a good investment.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Well just go pick up the car and get it repaired. Or if it’s not repairable, then your options are give me my tire due to hazard warranty and get it mounted, or it if you feel the others are worn enough to need s shave, then get one. But in either case either bring it in to a professional tire shop and get it repaired, or get your free tire for the road hazard one that they saw can not be repaired, and go elsewhere. But please don’t let them rip you off like they are proposing. Call soa - I’m going though this right now with a service dept that Subaru endorses and pays, but is either incompetent or corrupt or both.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tires aren't fast wearing unless something is off. You might want to have your Ascent checked for alignment on all 4 wheels. If alignment is good and tire pressure is good, the tire should wear normally. I'm at 18000 miles on mine and I still have a lot of life to go.
If your alignment is bad, correcting it will also help improve steering and mpg, so it's a good investment.
Thanks NotAClunker will ask them on alignment.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have about 18k miles on my Ascent now and hit a pothole about a month ago. Lucky for me I had purchased the tire/wheel package with the vehicle. I got a new tire (just one) and a new rim as well. The remaining tires were about 6/32", so I guess I was within official policy. I remember asking if I needed to replace 2 tires and they said it wasn't necessary. I am probably going to switch to the Michelin CC2's before winter, as I don't think I'll get more than 30-35k on the Falken's anyway.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I have about 18k miles on my Ascent now and hit a pothole about a month ago. Lucky for me I had purchased the tire/wheel package with the vehicle. I got a new tire (just one) and a new rim as well. The remaining tires were about 6/32", so I guess I was within official policy. I remember asking if I needed to replace 2 tires and they said it wasn't necessary. I am probably going to switch to the Michelin CC2's before winter, as I don't think I'll get more than 30-35k on the Falken's anyway.
The OEM tires are 10/32 new, you were out of spec to just replace one. Make sure and keep all your receipts just in case.

In the two cases I have had to replace all 4 tires Discount tire gave me a credit towards the purchase of the new tires. One reason I use them over other places, besides their excellent service.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thanks Ruben,

The OEM tires are indeed a low wear rating tire at a 360 UTQG wear rating, this isn't uncommon for oem tires unfortunately. The dealer isn't limited by Subaru on what tires they can sell, I bought Continental Crosscontact lx25 with a 740 wear rating for our Ascent. The cost was just under $1k installed with road hazard, although now I am a bit skeptical on the road hazard to be honest. Those tires are $895 from Tire Rack right now. Here is the weird part, I made the purchase and service appt through the Subaru Tire Shop site and for whatever reason it seems the dealer service system and the Tire shop are not one in the same, so if you call them and ask for tires the prices will probably be way higher.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
703 Posts
although now I am a bit skeptical on the road hazard to be honest
I can't say this as a blanket statement, but in my case when I put new tires on my Outback ~1 year ago, the road hazard only covers the damaged tire. So you're still footing the bill for the other 3 if you need to replace all. IMO that "insurance" costs way too much for the out of pocket expense I'd still need to cover. If there was a road hazard policy for ~%20 more that covered all tires, I might go for it.

·
Banned
244 Posts
Well the tires a new car comes with don’t have any road hazard warranty right?
What would be a good change is two fold here. First, if Subaru stopped using those garbage tires the car comes with, then the owners of the cars would not be buying tires at 30k miles. Second, if Subaru would start to weed out the corrupt dealers and their service departments, then there would not be posts like the one that started this thread.
Telling a person with a flat in the middle of their tire, absent additional information- which could be an omission of some types of culpability on the part of the poster-
but which I automatically discount due to the corruption and fraud I’ve seen at the dealers- is criminal because tires with flats in the middle of the thread are completely fixable. Telling a person such is criminal, but the businesses pay their paid for politicians, to have the police in my area to call such things civil matters. Th wit is nothing civil about outright fraud.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I've never considered going to the dealer for anything tire-related. I'd only go for the stuff that nobody else can do. I would just take the car to a tire shop and get it patched for free. It'll buy you some time on the existing tires and give you an opportunity to order the exact tire you really want later on.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
801 Posts
I can't say this as a blanket statement, but in my case when I put new tires on my Outback ~1 year ago, the road hazard only covers the damaged tire. So you're still footing the bill for the other 3 if you need to replace all. IMO that "insurance" costs way too much for the out of pocket expense I'd still need to cover. If there was a road hazard policy for ~%20 more that covered all tires, I might go for it.
Supposedly Discount Tires certificates help out with with the 3 remaining tires, or so they told me. I have not had to exercise this benefit yet.

·
Registered
946 Posts
The OEM tires are indeed a low wear rating tire at a 360 UTQG wear rating, this isn't uncommon for oem tires unfortunately. The dealer isn't limited by Subaru on what tires they can sell, I bought Continental Crosscontact lx25 with a 740 wear rating for our Ascent.
UTQG is problematic - but perhaps most problematic in that the buyer should not use it to compare tires across different brands/makes:

UTQG: Is it the Beginning of the End for the Regs No One Wanted? - this article dates back to 2002, but it's still valid today.

If you want to use it as a reference, keep in mind that it's only valid within that particular make's other offerings.

·
Registered
946 Posts
....flats in the middle of the thread are completely fixable.
Not always.

There are other determinants -

Typically, destruction-of or damage-to the critical sidewall structure that's caused by "limping the car into the shop" and an irregular puncture (i.e. a cable staple or similar, where it's a double-puncture) one that runs afoul of industry repair standards are the reasons why a seemingly reparable tire is deemed non-reparable.

[ Understand also that these industry standards are themselves variable depending on where one lives: in much of the developing world, for example, tire sidewall repairs are actually not at all uncommon on everything from passenger vehicles to heavy-duty industrial applications. ]

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,261 Posts
1 - 20 of 43 Posts