Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All!

I have been lurking on these forums for over a year and finally bite the bullet and bought a 2020 Ascent. One feature my wife and I were excited for was the fact we could use remote start since most morning's it is around 30* and takes a bit to de-ice the car. We live in an area where ATT is not very reliable and when we have people that have ATT phones they only have 1-2 bars of service. I did connect my vehicle to the home wifi also to see if it would solve the issue.

So the issue is that when we are in town where ATT service is better we can use all the MySubaru functions. But at home they always fail to connect to the vehicle.

So my question is -
1. Can anything be done to see how many bars of service the cars has? Like in a maintenance screen?
2. Is there anyway to increase the service?
3. A new ATT tower came in recently and on FB people talk about having to have their phone search for new towers. Is that something the car can do?

I wish connecting the vehicle to my Wifi would solve the issue but that was no luck. When I called SOA they told me to call ATT. When I asked them how I identify myself for an account holder for ATT they told me they have no idea and to call them. Dealership was no help also as they didn't understand the issue. I called ATT and they told me they had no way to lookup my vehicle connection to initialize a reset without the account holder calling which is Subaru. I feel like I am in a never ending circle.

Vehicle location doesn't even work at my house which I thought was done via GPS with some reliance on LTE? Funny because we live on the top of the mountain and our Verizon phones always have full service. Wish we could just change the carrier. :rolleyes:

Anyone else have these issues?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Wish we could just change the carrier. :rolleyes:
Sorry about your remote problem. I have to agree with you that it would be really good if we could switch carriers. I have noticed that depending on the area different carriers work better than others. It would be nice to use the best one in my area.

Is your car close to your house. You might be able to have the remote start installed and use the extended range remote. It does not use ATT but uses just line of sight RF.

·
Registered
108 Posts
In your instance, it sounds like you may want to consider having the remote start unit installed. I've had our Ascent for a few months now, and only used the app to start it once. Every other time I've used the remote fob. Its just more convenient.

Another advantage to the fob is that I don't have to maintain a wireless plan once it expires, and can remote start in areas that we're camping off grid.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,853 Posts
While the Ascent's cellular radio seems to be more sensitive than smaller devices, you may have issues if the signal is truly "not there". I was worried about that when I was buying my own Ascent and even pre-ordered the fob-based remote start, given we live in a kind of cellular "dead spot" for all carriers...the tower is on the hill behind us, but we are blocked from line-of-sight by the hill itself, which is a massive piece of limestone. We have to use WiFI calling with our phones on our property, not just in the house. I got lucky in that the Ascent could pull in more than enough signal to allow all MySubaru features including remote start and I cancelled the install of the fob-based remote start and got my money back from the dealer.

You have no choice around the carrier. There is no traditional SIM card setup and Subaru is contracted with ATT for all MySubaru services, including the ones you don't have to pay for. The system does not support WiFi for MySubaru functions...I got that confirmed by both my dealer's technical staff and directly from a conversation with Subaru. So in your case, if you want remote start "at home", you're going to have to opt for the fob-based accessory to make it happen.

What you can use WiFi for is entertainment system firmware updates and map region downloads if you have NAV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
If you end up looking for a fob remote start you might want to check into either viper or compustar remotes. They have the ability to give you much better range than Subaru's fob remote start.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts