Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had 2021 ascent touring for 2 weeks now. Mysubaru app remote engine start worked great for a week, but last week not working at all. All other remote functions work. Any ideas ?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Its probably the app itself.I’ve had to call customer service when I had problems with the app and they took of it on their end. Also I have remote started the vehicle parked in my garage unlocked.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine has never worked at my house. The remote start relies on ATT wireless service, which is non existent where I live. Many calls to Subaru and they can care less.

It also doesn’t update mileage and stuff like that in the app until I travel to another town and park. Kinda sucks they made the remote start rely on a service you don’t have. Would be as easy as letting us change the SIM card as I would be happy to pay for Verizon instead.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
Happi'....Subaru can't really do anything to get ATT service in your area and that's the network that's embedded in the whole system. It's not something that can be changed. There is no SIM "card"...but even if there was, ATT is the actual network backbone for StarLink services and there are security aspects at play relative to how things work. (the system doesn't work in Canada, either, so buyers north of the border get no Starlink services)

If you want remote start, you may want to have the fob based remote start installed. It will cost about the same as a 7 year Starlink subscription but work "anywhere" as long as you are physically close enough to the vehicle for the radio to work.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Touring Brilliant Bronze
104 Posts
There are also "other" remote start options if you don't go with Subaru. Those other options can also have web/app based start services in addition to their fob. They may claim greater range too. Of course it might be a bit of you get what you pay for too.

There is a 5G push now, in the US, and hence carriers have an incentive to upgrade/add/change their towers. With a little luck you might get better coverage in your area as a result ... in the proverbial "soon" time frame of course.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
There is a 5G push now, in the US, and hence carriers have an incentive to upgrade/add/change their towers. With a little luck you might get better coverage in your area as a result ... in the proverbial "soon" time frame of course
This will only help 4G radios if additional towers are installed in areas that have poor coverage to increase footprint and only because the gear "can" be backward compatible. Most geography outside of major metropolitan areas have or will be getting low-band 5G and sometimes mid-band 5G...slower 4G like speeds or slightly better, but on the same towners. The fast 5G millimeter wave/high-band stuff requires base stations every 1500-3000 feet, rather than the miles that low-band can travel. Hence, only in and around cities and very large suburban communities.

Reactions: Titanrx8

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. Follow up. I found what the problem was. It a very simple fix. When they installed wireless charger, it involves taking off leather shift knob. Problem was that the plastic stick inside shift assembly was sitting too high when reassembled. So car was sensing that shifter was depressed. Fix involves adjusting plastic stick so it sits a little lower before putting leather shifter knob back on. That simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok. Follow up. I found what the problem was. It a very simple fix. When they installed wireless charger, it involves taking off leather shift knob. Problem was that the plastic stick inside shift assembly was sitting too high when reassembled. So car was sensing that shifter was depressed. Fix involves adjusting plastic stick so it sits a little lower before putting leather shifter knob back on. That simple.

Similar story to me, they did the same wrong and fix the problem, thank you for post this, help a lot!

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
how the heck was that figured out?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts