Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I "bought" the app services when I bought my 2020 Ascent (Nov 2019) and it worked fine for about 10 months. Fall 2020 the remote start feature stopped working. Made some calls to Starlink, no help. After a while the door lock & unlock feature stopped working, same error code. Called again, still nothing.

I've had a number of excuses and directions, once told to take it to the dealer because Starlink can't fix the starting issue. Dealer found nothing wrong, I had them call Starlink and they got just as useless support as I did.

Called Starlink back, they said they had to put in an IT ticket. Called back a week later, new rep said nothing was put in and she'd do it. Also said I'd get a confirmation email within 24 hours. Here I am about 10 days later without the email.

I just logged into my account via computer and tried starting my car, same error. So it's not the app itself.

The only other thing I might guess could be causing the issue is related to the fob. Last summer the automatic door unlock feature started spazzing out. Took the car in and had it fixed, they had to reprogram the fob. It was a month or so later before I tried the remote start again when it started having problems. Door lock & unlock worked, but not the start.

Anyone else with this problem and error code? Any advice?

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Hello everyone! I "bought" the app services when I bought my 2020 Ascent (Nov 2019) and it worked fine for about 10 months. Fall 2020 the remote start feature stopped working. Made some calls to Starlink, no help. After a while the door lock & unlock feature stopped working, same error code. Called again, still nothing.

I've had a number of excuses and directions, once told to take it to the dealer because Starlink can't fix the starting issue. Dealer found nothing wrong, I had them call Starlink and they got just as useless support as I did.

Called Starlink back, they said they had to put in an IT ticket. Called back a week later, new rep said nothing was put in and she'd do it. Also said I'd get a confirmation email within 24 hours. Here I am about 10 days later without the email.

I just logged into my account via computer and tried starting my car, same error. So it's not the app itself.

The only other thing I might guess could be causing the issue is related to the fob. Last summer the automatic door unlock feature started spazzing out. Took the car in and had it fixed, they had to reprogram the fob. It was a month or so later before I tried the remote start again when it started having problems. Door lock & unlock worked, but not the start.

I do not see why the fob would have anything to do with your problem. You are not able to remote start using the desktop or phone app. These operate completely differently then the fob. Call soa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try going to the settings on your phone and look for the My Subaru App and then go to storgae and clear date and clear cache. This happened to me once and this fixed it.
Thanks, I'll give that a shot if I can find it. I'm an iPhone user, can you point me in a direction? I did try uninstalling and reinstalling the app not long ago, no joy.

·
Registered
2 Posts

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
I had the same problems on my 2019 Ascent: worked flawlessly for 2 years, and then just last month the Starlink remote start failed repeatedly with the same "SER-4357" error message. However, in my case, the locate, lock/unlock functions remained. Same runaround with Starlink customer service (and disappearing IT tickets!), and shrugs from dealer service Dept (though, to be fair, they put me in a loaner while trying to chase down the problem).

Then, I stumbled on this Subaru service bulletin (I think on reddit, but it could have been somewhere else?):

You can also ask the dealer to look up:
15-251-19R

It worked! Bonus was I was able to test it for the rep by starting the car using the app from home (20 miles away)! The fix has something to do with the DCM and Immobilizer being properly registered with each other. Service rep was surprised he didn't find the bulletin, but was grateful for the help.

Off to pick up the car tomorrow... :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED!!!
I had the same problems on my 2019 Ascent: worked flawlessly for 2 years, and then just last month the Starlink remote start failed repeatedly with the same "SER-4357" error message. However, in my case, the locate, lock/unlock functions remained. Same runaround with Starlink customer service (and disappearing IT tickets!), and shrugs from dealer service Dept (though, to be fair, they put me in a loaner while trying to chase down the problem).

Then, I stumbled on this Subaru service bulletin (I think on reddit, but it could have been somewhere else?):

You can also ask the dealer to look up:
15-251-19R

It worked! Bonus was I was able to test it for the rep by starting the car using the app from home (20 miles away)! The fix has something to do with the DCM and Immobilizer being properly registered with each other. Service rep was surprised he didn't find the bulletin, but was grateful for the help.

Off to pick up the car tomorrow... :)
Cool, thanks! Glad to hear there's hope! I'll talk to the dealer ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool, thanks! Glad to hear there's hope! I'll talk to the dealer ASAP.
Well, finally made it back to the dealer. Turns out this wasn't the problem. The problem was actually when the other dealer fixed the automatic door unlock problem. Something that they didn't sync the telematics of the new module to the rest of the system right. Once this service rep and this tech actually listened to me tell them about that repair, it took them about 2 minutes to set everything straight. So, FINALLY, just 4 months later, it's fixed.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent Touring CWP
32 Posts
I’m curious if this is still valid. Bought a 2021 Ascent Touring and it worked for a while. Took it in last week for permacoat to be completed and now it won’t work and hasn’t worked. I wonder if they did something to change the DCM and immobilizer. Everything else works just fine on the app I just can’t start my car anymore from the app. I’m convinced now that I should buy the remote start fob so that I don’t have to deal with this unnecessarily. Especially in winter when it’s -20F it really sucks to go outside and start a vehicle that’s frozen shut.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts