Subaru Ascent Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
That's what I'm saying. I've never felt the car "shift gears". Again, getting up to speed (no matter what it is) has been smooth & seamless. I don't feel a thing accept acceleration.
I don't even know what brake torquing is. Since it obviously must involve the brakes during take off (as you mentioned) I guarantee I don't do it.
I hope my 2023 drives like yours does and doesn't let the "fake shifts" show. I like the electric car feel of smooth torque instead of the herky jerky shifts that cause spilled beverages. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I hope my 2023 drives like yours does and doesn't let the "fake shifts" show. I like the electric car feel of smooth torque instead of the herky jerky shifts that cause spilled beverages. :)
Maybe these later builds had a change in the software programming? Maybe the way the car is driven has something to do with it? Don't know, just speculating.
All the time driving this, I'm thinking to myself, where are these fake shift issues/jerkiness I've been reading about on the forum?
If yours drive anything like mine, guarantee you'll be happy with it. I know I am so far.
Good luck.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,555 Posts
@CosmoK
If you have the advanced display, set one of the displays to show the throttle angle. The fake shifting happens 100% when starting from a stop and applying >50% throttle. Once you get past breakin you'll find yourself don't this to keep up in stop and go traffic. You will experience take shifts unless the current programming has changed parameters.

The other less than delightful behavior occurs at low steady speeds with light throttle. Between 17-22mph and less than 20% throttle you'll get drivetrain bogging/hunting/bucking/shuddering, many use different words to describe it but you'll know it when it happens. Again, maybe the new programming addresses it, maybe not.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@CosmoK
If you have the advanced display, set one of the displays to show the throttle angle. The fake shifting happens 100% when starting from a stop and applying >50% throttle. Once you get past breakin you'll find yourself don't this to keep up in stop and go traffic. You will experience take shifts unless the current programming has changed parameters.

The other less than delightful behavior occurs at low steady speeds with light throttle. Between 17-22mph and less than 20% throttle you'll get drivetrain bogging/hunting/bucking/shuddering, many use different words to describe it but you'll know it when it happens. Again, maybe the new programming addresses it, maybe not.
@CosmoK

From a stop I'm pretty light on the throttle (nowhere close to >50%) & accelerate to whatever speed I want to achieve with absolutely no sign/feel of any fake shifting, bucking/shuddering. Nothing whatsoever.
Again, acceleration either from a dead stop or on the expressway to pass someone is smooth & seamless.
I suspect it is a change ibn the programming that Subaru addressed.
If anyone lived close by, I'd be more than happy to let them drive it & see for themselves.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
@CosmoK floor it - it'll fake shift.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Nothing wrong with that - but I am not commenting on your choice of driving styles...

I am saying that your car is programmed like all the rest. IF you floor it, it WILL fake shift. If you do NOT floor it and are easy on the pedal, it likely won't.

All Ascents operate that way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
No reason to floor it unless the situation calls for it. Trust me, I don't drive like a little old lady going to Church on Sunday. But I don't drive like a maniac either. Somewhere in between. :)
One of my Mom's favorite stories about my Grannie tells of the time they drag raced my aunt down the main road and hit their heads on the ceiling of the car as they flew over the railroad tracks. So maybe you SHOULD "drive like a little old lady" to see if that causes the "fake shifts" to occur for you. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nothing wrong with that - but I am not commenting on your choice of driving styles...

I am saying that your car is programmed like all the rest. IF you floor it, it WILL fake shift. If you do NOT floor it and are easy on the pedal, it likely won't.

All Ascents operate that way.
OK, I get that. So apparently it boils down to how someone drives their vehicles. Which begs the question, how many times do you feel the need to floor it? A Corvette or any sports car this isn't.

·
Registered
66 Posts
OK, I get that. So apparently it boils down to how someone drives their vehicles. Which begs the question, how many times do you feel the need to floor it? A Corvette or any sports car this isn't.
I have a feeling the answer to your question depends a lot on locale. Particularly when I drive from my city of 100k people through a much larger city like Atlanta, I'm always glad I don't have to be a daily participant of that level of traffic hustle and bustle. That daily commute wasn't declared the " rat RACE" for no reason! 😄

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Me? ALL the time. Where I live (NYC Metro Area), the highway onramps can be one to three car lengths.
Road surface Asphalt Plant Tree Slope

OR... they can be ZERO car lengths. No joke... here, you can see two very short on ramps, and two with literally no merge zone at all.
Land lot Urban design Thoroughfare Landscape Terrestrial plant

Best yet, you're literally FORCED to stop, at the STOP Sign, before you then have to rocket out into traffic, and somehow come up to highway speeds in inches.

Plant Sky Tree Road surface Asphalt

So, literally millions of us, each day, just in my "back yard", need to floor it regularly.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Oh, and, also, I do enjoy flooring it. So, that doesn't help, either, lol!!! And, it sure as heck doesn't help my gas mileage!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Me? ALL the time. Where I live (NYC Metro Area), the highway onramps can be one to three car lengths.
View attachment 18357

OR... they can be ZERO car lengths. No joke... here, you can see two very short on ramps, and two with literally no merge zone at all.
View attachment 18358

Best yet, you're literally FORCED to stop, at the STOP Sign, before you then have to rocket out into traffic, and somehow come up to highway speeds in inches.

View attachment 18359

So, literally millions of us, each day, just in my "back yard", need to floor it regularly.
The first time I drove to visit my brother when he lived near Raleigh I also had the "joy" to "experience" these types of ramps. Now... take the relatively flat terrain in your pictures and make it have diving and climbing grades that look like something they use as a rollercoaster design and you have the metro up there. It was quite the white knuckle experience!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh, and, also, I do enjoy flooring it. So, that doesn't help, either, lol!!! And, it sure as heck doesn't help my gas mileage!!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Easy solution to your problem. Move to the burbs & avoid city driving & drivers. :)
Yeah, everyone enjoys some spirited driving from time to time whether you need to or not. Myself, in this vehicle I tend to watch that green bar stay there as much as possible for the better gas mileage. IIRC, I think you mentioned that in another thread. 👍

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
I do live in the suburbs. NYC Metro (which includes NJ suburbs of NYC, and Nassau County & Western Suffolk County) has a very very high population. Heck, the suburban area population on Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk Counties) has a population of 2.9+ million people - those rather small suburbs have a greater population than the entirety 20 individual states. Once you add in Brooklyn and Queens (the rest of Long Island), we're at 7.75 million people - or a greater population than all but 12 states. :confused:

Ah well.

It is nice when I am out on a road trip and can be more leisurely in my travels.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@CosmoK
THIIIIIISSSSS! I love my Ascent but for the last three years, this bouncing/bucking (or what I call “rubberbanding”) in the 15-20 MPH range drives me insane. I even took it in for service wondering if there was something wrong with the CVT but they couldn’t reproduce it apparently after having it for a week (the service person definitely felt it when they initially moved the car). It happens constantly for me and it really irritates me.

·
Registered
Just ordered a '23 Ascent Touring
67 Posts
THIIIIIISSSSS! I love my Ascent but for the last three years, this bouncing/bucking (or what I call “rubberbanding”) in the 15-20 MPH range drives me insane. I even took it in for service wondering if there was something wrong with the CVT but they couldn’t reproduce it apparently after having it for a week (the service person definitely felt it when they initially moved the car). It happens constantly for me and it really irritates me.
I just have to wonder if there isn't some manner of flashing the firmware to turn it from fake-shift into a real CVT. The Dodge Caliber, as marginal a car as one could imagine, had that ability. The tech would plug in a scan tool, mash on a few buttons, and, it went from fake-shift-to-Dynaflow instantly. A gal I worked with had that done, and it made go from a chore to drive to a fairly decent little car.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
5,875 Posts
I just have to wonder if there isn't some manner of flashing the firmware to turn it from fake-shift into a real CVT.
This has been an ask from owners (especially in this forum) since the MY19 Ascent debuted. Send your request to SoA so you're voice is also heard.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too had the recent CVT chain guide recall completed and can attest that the new programming has really changed my 2019 for the better. The low speed roughness is gone and it has less harsh fake shifts. Drives more like my wife’s normally aspirated 2020 Outback.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Again, I'm not experiencing any of this in my new '22 Onyx. Absolutely none.

[/QUOTE/]
I too had the recent CVT chain guide recall completed and can attest that the new programming has really changed my 2019 for the better. The low speed roughness is gone and it has less harsh fake shifts. Drives more like my wife’s normally aspirated 2020 Outback.

This speaks for itself.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts