Subaru Ascent Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
I totally respect your opinion about C&D Robert and will accept that seems to be they’re programmed in for a reason. However by bowing to these journalist’s opinion, they’ve completely destroyed my wife’s opinion of the car. She wants to get rid of it purely because the transmission “feels cheap when it clunks”.

She wants her 5speed auto from her acura back…. Which, because I still daily drive it, can tell you clunks much more than the fake shifts in the ascent.
Alas, my friend, nothing I stated was opinion (inside info). Car & Driver wasn't the only one - but they were the loudest. The TR690 was designed to never faux shift under normal operations, but with the option for simulated shifting (eg: paddle shifters) for the customers who wanted it. So, when it came out in 2009, it never fake shifted. It was years later that the shifting was added. Subaru needed to kill off the inefficient 4EAT and 5EAT transmissions (and this was back at a time where 4 speed and 5 speed automatics were "the thing" and 8-10 speeds were pretty unheard of), so, they didn't really have any other option, other than adding it.

And, if it weren't for all the other ways I love my Subies, I'd be in a similar boat as your wife.

As I constantly tell Subaru of America...
I UTTERLY TOTALLY DETEST THE FAKE SHIFTING WITH A PASSION!!!!!!
(hoping someone there passes by this post, to see me say it again, in all bold, lol!)

Not my experience driving them at all. Sure using the manual mode, but never in “D”. And I’ve tried to reproduce it just to test my theory.

Where are you getting this data?
Like I said above, the TR580 has always had fake shifting, since the very first one released.

Here's the 2019 Subaru Impreza (right column is CVT):

Here's the 2020 Outback (only comes with either TR580 or High Torque TR690 - both are 8 fake shifts)

Both are programmed with stepped shifting that matches the paddle shifter manual modes.

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
As I stated in another thread, Subaru should incorporate user selectable TCM options.....
"Normal", "ECO", "Tow/Haul", and "Car & Driver" (incorporating harsh faux shifts). ;)
Everyone needs to send Subaru an email suggesting that... making sure that they let Subaru know that, at the very least, "Normal" and "Eco" (and "Performance"?) modes should NOT fake shift.

And, both YES, and LOL to the "Car & Driver" mode. Make it so harsh it slams them back into their seats so they shut up for once, lol!!!

·
Registered
2022 Ascent Onyx, Ice Silver
671 Posts
The General Motors Dynaflow was completely stepless but, the Buick I-8 and V8 had gobs more power than even a turbo Soob, and moving a lot more weight. The Dynaflow even went into a few Cadillacs in about 1955 or so when the HydraMatic plant had a serious fire. The Caddie V8s of the time were well into mid 300 horsepower range. Yet, they stayed in one piece,

and given the technology of the time, worked really well. So, I tend to think the fake shift points are there to give Americans a sense of what they are used to. I single out Americans because to this day, automatics remain the exception, rather than the rule, in Europe and Asia.

Car & Driver is still populated with motor heads who equate a hard shift with "rugged". That is false thinking because even the beefiest > 1 ton truck automatics have gotten crazy smooth. My past several vehicles have been MoPars of various sorts, and the shifting is imperceptible. If anything, the "shifts" in a Subaru are felt more, and, to me, an old antique, they are just not necessary.
Begining in 1950, Packard offered the "Ultramatic" and the later "Twin Ultramatic" transmissions. Much like the Buick Dynaflow, it was basically a torque converter, one-speed trans. However, the Ultramatic had a lock up Torque Converter, revolutionary for the time. At around 28 MPH, the converter would lock up to direct drive. Even with tons of torque (330 lb/ft for the 359 cid straight 8) it had molasses slow acceleration, and the wags of the era dubbed it the "Turtlematic".

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am not a tuner or a gear head but I will say this.... I'd really appreciate if Subaru would make a CVT mode you could select that would remove the fake shifts. If other cars can add parts to make suspensions selectable, I would think they could make our cars have this option as well. Unless I'm completely wrong, I don't even know that it would require any additional parts.

Additional question for those that have done the "launch mode"... does that make the CVT acceleration feel like an electric car? It would be particularly exciting if it did. I rented a Tesla on vacation and found that constant acceleration to be quite fun to play with when red lights turn green! lol

·
Administrator
12,753 Posts
Additional question for those that have done the "launch mode"... does that make the CVT acceleration feel like an electric car? It would be particularly exciting if it did. I rented a Tesla on vacation and found that constant acceleration to be quite fun to play with when red lights turn green! lol
Yes, it does. Slower acceleration than a Tesla, of course, but very much like that.

The difference of course being the sound. It isn't the drone of belt driven CVTs, but it does not sound normal to anyone who hasn't driven a TR690 that's not faux shifting. To many, it seems "broken" or "bad", similar to how when the CVT is actually operating like one, when on hills, and RPMs are slowly going up and down to handle changes in load, people think it's broken.

Personally, I love the way it drives and feels when it isn't faux shifting. It operates so smoothly.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I am not a tuner or a gear head but I will say this.... I'd really appreciate if Subaru would make a CVT mode you could select that would remove the fake shifts. If other cars can add parts to make suspensions selectable, I would think they could make our cars have this option as well. Unless I'm completely wrong, I don't even know that it would require any additional parts.

I'm pretty sure it can be done just with TCM programming, no extra parts required. If I were doing it, I would leave the current programming as is to satisfy ppl who are used to "shifts" (and to please Car & Driver) and add a selectable "Sport Mode" that is pure CVT. Ideally, it would remain in the last selected mode when the car is turned off and restarted.

I had a Sonata Sport Turbo with a conventional auto trans and a selector that offered "Normal", "ECO", and "Sport". When in sport it raised the RPM on shift points and also tightened up the electric power steering assist. If Hyundai can do it, I don't see why Subaru couldn't also.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
675 Posts
Yes, it does. Slower acceleration than a Tesla, of course, but very much like that.

The difference of course being the sound. It isn't the drone of belt driven CVTs, but it does not sound normal to anyone who hasn't driven a TR690 that's not faux shifting. To many, it seems "broken" or "bad", similar to how when the CVT is actually operating like one, when on hills, and RPMs are slowly going up and down to handle changes in load, people think it's broken.

Personally, I love the way it drives and feels when it isn't faux shifting. It operates so smoothly.
So how does one do that "launch mode" y'all are talking about? And sorry someone already said this and I missed it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
So how does one do that "launch mode" y'all are talking about? And sorry someone already said this and I missed it.
Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas, let the RPM rise to ~1500+, then release the brake and stab it. This builds pre-boost from the turbo so you are taking advantage of the full torque at launch. Somehow, this is programmed to defeat the faux shifts and the trans goes to full CVT mode. It gives turbine-like acceleration.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
675 Posts
Left foot on the brake, right foot on the gas, let the RPM rise to ~1500+, then release the brake and stab it. This builds pre-boost from the turbo so you are taking advantage of the full torque at launch. Somehow, this is programmed to defeat the faux shifts and the trans goes to full CVT mode. It gives turbine-like acceleration.
I might just have to give that a try, just for the heck of it!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,555 Posts
The fake shift points are in our transmissions as a necessity to make Car & Driver stop crapping on every Subaru with a CVT. And yet, still, they complain it doesn't shift harsh enough or frequently enough (seriously, 2021 review).
Subaru could have built a solenoid into the seat to thump the C&D reviewer with a good whack and left the rest of us alone.

·
Registered
Just ordered a '23 Ascent Touring
67 Posts
I've always felt that brake torqueing a vehicle can't be good for it. It's probably why I also spend the majority of my time driving in the right lane though. 🙃
It's NOT a good idea. If folks want a Dynaflow feel (and I am one of them), we need to keep pushing Subaru for a firmware change. If they can change the firmware to make the heater controls nicer and easier to use, a firmware change for the transmission should be easy. I knew a man with a Dodge Caliber, of all things, hated the fake shift points. His service writer plugged in a scan tool, poked in a code, disconnected the scan tool, and said "drive it". No more fake shift points.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,555 Posts
I knew a man with a Dodge Caliber, of all things, hated the fake shift points.
I once drove an Avis Caliber from Orlando to Miami. Everything about that car was awful. How'd he even notice the fake shifts over the snail acceleration, the wind, road and drivetrain noise and the uncomfortable seats. I left it in Miami and rented another car for the return. I said I'd never step foot into another Caliber.

Funny thing is the manufacturers seem to sell to rental fleets to help sales and build reputation for their vehicles. Giant misstep on Chrysler's part letting Avis use the caliber. It couldn't have leveraged any sales.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I once drove an Avis Caliber from Orlando to Miami. Everything about that car was awful. How'd he even notice the fake shifts over the snail acceleration, the wind, road and drivetrain noise and the uncomfortable seats. I left it in Miami and rented another car for the return. I said I'd never step foot into another Caliber.

Funny thing is the manufacturers seem to sell to rental fleets to help sales and build reputation for their vehicles. Giant misstep on Chrysler's part letting Avis use the caliber. It couldn't have leveraged any sales.
I had one on rental in Fla and - MoPar man that I am - thought it was a big nothing. Speaking of horrid rentals, I came to NE TN in 2017 to look for a house. The rental car place gave me an Explorer. It was the most profoundly ANNOYING car I had driven in 20 years. I took it back, and got... a Subaru Forester. The blasted console was in the way, but the car itself was fun. "Tossable", decently quick, plenty of headroom for a man built like a bear, and I played around with the CVT to see what it would do. The trip-cities area is all hill-and-dale, and watching the tach climb and sink, climb and sink, was a real hoot.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I wouldn't recommend it at every stoplight, but an occasional use shouldn't do any harm.
I've always felt that brake torqueing a vehicle can't be good for it. It's probably why I also spend the majority of my time driving in the right lane though. 🙃

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had my recall done about 6 weeks ago and the CVT is a different animal. Its now smooth and has gotten rid of the complaints I had. It still has 1 or 2 issues, but for the main, it is now nice to drive.

Of course, I would like the smoothness the Nissan's have but you cannot have everything.

I hope the CVT gets better and not worse.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had my recall done about 6 weeks ago and the CVT is a different animal. Its now smooth and has gotten rid of the complaints I had. It still has 1 or 2 issues, but for the main, it is now nice to drive.

Of course, I would like the smoothness the Nissan's have but you cannot have everything.

I hope the CVT gets better and not worse.
What issues remain?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I've had my new Onyx Ascent a little over a week now & frankly I'm not experiencing any of these fake shifts you people are referring to. I've never driven a vehicle with CVT & reading threads like these prior to ordering in May had me concerned about how much effect it would have on my liking the vehicle.
When I test drove the Ascent back in May, I didn't notice any of these "fake" shifts I was reading about. The test drive was enjoyable. So, I thought maybe this was something in the earlier Ascents, since I read they did have tranny issues.
But reading this thread it seems the issue is still there with these fake shifts. Or is it an issue?
Now given the fact my Ascent is new & far under the 1000 mile break in period, I've been pretty easy on the gas pedal. But I'm not one to really stomp on it anyway, unless I have to.
But given my driving so far in the suburbs & expressways, (up to 70-75mph) I've not noticed any of these fake shifts at all. Getting up to speed (whatever that may be) has been nothing but smooth & seamless.
Is there a particular speed or rpms where this has been most noticeable? I'm really wondering why I'm not experiencing what some of you are.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I've had my new Onyx Ascent a little over a week now & frankly I'm not experiencing any of these fake shifts you people are referring to. I've never driven a vehicle with CVT & reading threads like these prior to ordering in May had me concerned about how much effect it would have on my liking the vehicle.
When I test drove the Ascent back in May, I didn't notice any of these "fake" shifts I was reading about. The test drive was enjoyable. So, I thought maybe this was something in the earlier Ascents, since I read they did have tranny issues.
But reading this thread it seems the issue is still there with these fake shifts. Or is it an issue?
Now given the fact my Ascent is new & far under the 1000 mile break in period, I've been pretty easy on the gas pedal. But I'm not one to really stomp on it anyway, unless I have to.
But given my driving so far in the suburbs & expressways, (up to 70-75mph) I've not noticed any of these fake shifts at all. Getting up to speed (whatever that may be) has been nothing but smooth & seamless.
Is there a particular speed or rpms where this has been most noticeable? I'm really wondering why I'm not experiencing what some of you are.
So you're saying you've never felt the car "shift gears" during acceleration? It definitely shows up when you "get on the gas" especially if you're completely stopped. Unless you always drive super gentle, or you always brake torque the car when you take off, I'd expect you to have noticed it. Maybe you're lucky though and have the one that wasn't programmed with those "fake steps" that were added for better driver perception.

·
Registered
21 Posts
So you're saying you've never felt the car "shift gears" during acceleration? It definitely shows up when you "get on the gas" especially if you're completely stopped. Unless you always drive super gentle, or you always brake torque the car when you take off, I'd expect you to have noticed it. Maybe you're lucky though and have the one that wasn't programmed with those "fake steps" that were added for better driver perception.
That's what I'm saying. I've never felt the car "shift gears". Again, getting up to speed (no matter what it is) has been smooth & seamless. I don't feel a thing accept acceleration.
I don't even know what brake torquing is. Since it obviously must involve the brakes during take off (as you mentioned) I guarantee I don't do it.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts