Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear All,

As I wrote in my previous post we bought ASCENT MY2020 but will have it in the Europe.
Because I wanna use remote start and AC setting I need My Subaru app.
But when I wanna downloaded from Google Play store I got an information that this app isn´t for my country.
I made a several traouts with several VPN to log in thru US, Canadian etc. server but wasn´t sucessful.
I thin that Goolge already blocked this option.
So do you know where it is possible to download My Subaru application on the othere place than google store?
Could you give me some link where I can download it?
I know that there are some monthly payments for the service but there are even some monthes free for test. And when it works I don´t have any issue with mothly payments :)

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
Dear All,

As I wrote in my previous post we bought ASCENT MY2020 but will have it in the Europe.
Because I wanna use remote start and AC setting I need My Subaru app.
But when I wanna downloaded from Google Play store I got an information that this app isn´t for my country.
I made a several traouts with several VPN to log in thru US, Canadian etc. server but wasn´t sucessful.
I thin that Goolge already blocked this option.
So do you know where it is possible to download My Subaru application on the othere place than google store?
Could you give me some link where I can download it?
I know that there are some monthly payments for the service but there are even some monthes free for test. And when it works I don´t have any issue with mothly payments :)
There's no way to get it to work there. It uses AT&T's United States cellular network, and will not connect there. You can get the remote engine start control module and do FOB based remote start, but not app start.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi.
YES I tried to use US VPN to downloaded but it doesn´t work. All the time Google market know from which country I´m. Newertheless yesterday evening I was looking for something else on the net and tried to looking for the My Subaru app again to find some informations etc. But I found server other where I can download My Subaru so I aready have this app from yesterday evening.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no way to get it to work there. It uses AT&T's United States cellular network, and will not connect there. You can get the remote engine start control module and do FOB based remote start, but not app start.
But how does it work with AT&T´s US cellular network? There is some SIM card from AT&T in the car and where?
Because if there is only SIM card from AT&T I could change it for SIM card from our operator and teoreticaly it could work.
So could you let me know how it works, if there is some SIM card in the car etc.?
Thnx.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,215 Posts
You cannot change the SIM...it's embedded in the system and not a little card like on a cell phone. Subaru uses ATT exclusively for their StarLink services, even for those you don't have to pay for. This has been discussed previously in the technical area of this forum.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
561 Posts
I've wondered about that. When logging on to MySubaru, it will tell me the mileage on the car. Turns out that the mileage is uploaded every time the motor is shut off. It uses StarLink via AT&T on board.
This got me thinking; when the radio, and for those with nav, the maps need updating, why is it required to be within a wifi signal and go through the hoops of setting up wifi/password/etc if there's already AT&T cellular on board? I think Subaru could have just as easily done any and all software updates this way instead of either customer supplied wifi or dealer appt.

·
Administrator
11,126 Posts
I've wondered about that. When logging on to MySubaru, it will tell me the mileage on the car. Turns out that the mileage is uploaded every time the motor is shut off. It uses StarLink via AT&T on board.
This got me thinking; when the radio, and for those with nav, the maps need updating, why is it required to be within a wifi signal and go through the hoops of setting up wifi/password/etc if there's already AT&T cellular on board? I think Subaru could have just as easily done any and all software updates this way instead of either customer supplied wifi or dealer appt.
I would expect so it doesn't go over expected data use. For instance, the AT&T hotspot is capped at 22GB (things get unusably slow after that). Full updates are 14GB, and with map regions, push the amount over the AT&T data cap for many of us (such as me, who, at a minimum, uses 4 states).

So, especially for the free built in connection, little bursts of highly compressible data (eg: vehicle stats, map POI lookups, etc) aren't much, but downloading 15-30GB of already compressed update files is.

It also alleviates the issues with data being slow for big files when moving because of constant cell tower switching.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
195 Posts
It sure would be nice to have remote start from my phone here in Canada...fob remote start doesn’t help me as I have to park a block away from my workplace, well out of range.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts