Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would detail my experience with our 2019 Ascent and recent interaction with SoA for everyone.

We bought a 2019 Ascent Touring in March of 2019 (almost a year ago exactly.). We paid cash, assuming we were investing in a vehicle that would last us 8-10 years if properly cared for. I have 3 teenagers and they were also satisfied with the relative comfort of the 3rd row (coming from a Yukon XL they actually liked it better.). So we bought it outright. We put too many miles on the "family car" to lease etc.

The car was great up until about 11,000 miles. It developed a significant brake shudder above 65+ mph when stopping. This was probably in late November or December 2019. We took it to the dealer...they replaced the rear rotors under warranty, no issues. About 2 weeks later, the same issue, significant brake shudder at 65+ mph. I took the car back to the dealer...they explained they did not replace the rear pads last time, and although that should not have caused the rear rotors to warp again...they were indeed warped and this time they would replace the rotors and pads. No issues, covered under warranty. They did the ECM/TCM recall update at this time to I think.

About a two weeks later...you guessed it, significant brake shudder above 65+ mph. This time I could not tell if it was rear or front. Took it back to the dealership and it turned out to be warped front rotors. Replaced front rotors and pads under warranty. The car probably had 13,500 miles on it at this point (we had a few 700 mile+ trips during this time).

2-3 weeks after the front rotors my wife drives the car to the market, comes out of the market and starts the car. The dash lights up like a Christmas tree, the wheel lock notice is up in the dash (along with every other warning light), the shift lever moves but the tranny does not engage, and she cannot shut the car off. She took a video. The car eventually shuts itself off (this episode lasts maybe 60 seconds), she starts it back up...and no issues of course. I called the dealer, dropped it off that morning, jumped in a 2020 loaner and asked that they figure out what the issue was and let me know. This happens on a Friday.

We don't hear from the dealer Friday or Saturday. I have a loaner, so I'm not that concerned about it. On Monday SoA calls us proactively. They explain that they see our 2019 has been in the shop a lot lately and how that must be pretty frustrating etc. They were working with our dealership to get all the service records and would be in touch. I explain the latest issue and say that frankly we are losing confidence in this particular car. He understands etc and promises to get back to me by Friday or the following Monday. In the meantime I call the dealer...they still have not looked at the car. On Wednesday the dealer calls and says they cleared a bunch of codes, but nothing that would have caused what was on the video, and of course could not recreate the issue...so I could come pick my car up because they could not do anything more. I picked it up, dropped off my loaner and called the SoA rep. Essentially telling him my wife was not refusing to drive the car and I could not blame her...and I was hesitant to put my kids in it. I did not want them stranded somewhere. He understood and again told me they were working on it and he would get back to me Friday.

Friday comes and he calls late in the day. He tells me they would like to put us in a new 2020 Ascent for no cost to us. I explain we love the car and that would be great. He asks for a week to work with the dealer and get the paperwork together (he does not tell me, but it was a little complicated because I paid cash for the car and SoA did not finance it.). I am skeptical about the "at no cost to you" comment of course, but that's what he said. The car had almost 15,000 miles on it at this point.

The end of the story is that yesterday my wife and I drove out of our local dealer with a brand new 2020 Ascent Touring...at NO cost to us. I have never experienced this level of customer service with any company, no less a car company. For those who think Subaru does not stand behind their cars, our story is proof positive that they do. We were stunned frankly with the level of commitment. Subaru has fans for life in our family now (I owned one many years ago as a teenager, and my daughter is in an outback so we are a 2 Subaru family so far).

Anyway, I thought I would share our story. A truly amazing car company with unparalleled concern for customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Wow amazing wish my car had issues to get a free new model lol ? awesome I’m a first time buyer of a Subaru ascent 2019 and was worried with all the issues going on with them but so far mine has been good but it only has 7 k miles on it so only time will tell

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been a Subaru Salesman for about 4+ years now. I have seen it a couple times where customers have cars that have issues and Subaru covers replacement. Subaru honestly wants people to be happy in their vehicles. I had a gentleman who had a 19 Outback with a sluggish transmission and instead of a new transmission, they upgraded him to a 2020 which is the whole new body style. No cost.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I thought I would detail my experience with our 2019 Ascent and recent interaction with SoA for everyone.

We bought a 2019 Ascent Touring in March of 2019 (almost a year ago exactly.). We paid cash, assuming we were investing in a vehicle that would last us 8-10 years if properly cared for. I have 3 teenagers and they were also satisfied with the relative comfort of the 3rd row (coming from a Yukon XL they actually liked it better.). So we bought it outright. We put too many miles on the "family car" to lease etc.

The car was great up until about 11,000 miles. It developed a significant brake shudder above 65+ mph when stopping. This was probably in late November or December 2019. We took it to the dealer...they replaced the rear rotors under warranty, no issues. About 2 weeks later, the same issue, significant brake shudder at 65+ mph. I took the car back to the dealer...they explained they did not replace the rear pads last time, and although that should not have caused the rear rotors to warp again...they were indeed warped and this time they would replace the rotors and pads. No issues, covered under warranty. They did the ECM/TCM recall update at this time to I think.

About a two weeks later...you guessed it, significant brake shudder above 65+ mph. This time I could not tell if it was rear or front. Took it back to the dealership and it turned out to be warped front rotors. Replaced front rotors and pads under warranty. The car probably had 13,500 miles on it at this point (we had a few 700 mile+ trips during this time).

2-3 weeks after the front rotors my wife drives the car to the market, comes out of the market and starts the car. The dash lights up like a Christmas tree, the wheel lock notice is up in the dash (along with every other warning light), the shift lever moves but the tranny does not engage, and she cannot shut the car off. She took a video. The car eventually shuts itself off (this episode lasts maybe 60 seconds), she starts it back up...and no issues of course. I called the dealer, dropped it off that morning, jumped in a 2020 loaner and asked that they figure out what the issue was and let me know. This happens on a Friday.

We don't hear from the dealer Friday or Saturday. I have a loaner, so I'm not that concerned about it. On Monday SoA calls us proactively. They explain that they see our 2019 has been in the shop a lot lately and how that must be pretty frustrating etc. They were working with our dealership to get all the service records and would be in touch. I explain the latest issue and say that frankly we are losing confidence in this particular car. He understands etc and promises to get back to me by Friday or the following Monday. In the meantime I call the dealer...they still have not looked at the car. On Wednesday the dealer calls and says they cleared a bunch of codes, but nothing that would have caused what was on the video, and of course could not recreate the issue...so I could come pick my car up because they could not do anything more. I picked it up, dropped off my loaner and called the SoA rep. Essentially telling him my wife was not refusing to drive the car and I could not blame her...and I was hesitant to put my kids in it. I did not want them stranded somewhere. He understood and again told me they were working on it and he would get back to me Friday.

Friday comes and he calls late in the day. He tells me they would like to put us in a new 2020 Ascent for no cost to us. I explain we love the car and that would be great. He asks for a week to work with the dealer and get the paperwork together (he does not tell me, but it was a little complicated because I paid cash for the car and SoA did not finance it.). I am skeptical about the "at no cost to you" comment of course, but that's what he said. The car had almost 15,000 miles on it at this point.

The end of the story is that yesterday my wife and I drove out of our local dealer with a brand new 2020 Ascent Touring...at NO cost to us. I have never experienced this level of customer service with any company, no less a car company. For those who think Subaru does not stand behind their cars, our story is proof positive that they do. We were stunned frankly with the level of commitment. Subaru has fans for life in our family now (I owned one many years ago as a teenager, and my daughter is in an outback so we are a 2 Subaru family so far).

Anyway, I thought I would share our story. A truly amazing car company with unparalleled concern for customer satisfaction.
Frankly, it doesn't get any better than this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.