Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any tips on getting insurance to call it totaled? At this point if they push for repair, I won't feel safe with the family in there.

The arrow is pointing to the skid from where my rear wheel used to be. Must have pushed it 12-15 feet.

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
363 Posts
Ouch! Glad you're okay and that it was parked, not moving at the time. What the heck was up with that driver? Did you find out what happened? Seems pretty dang hard to hit a parked car like that if not seriously impaired or something. And good luck with the insurance company, hope all works out there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What the heck was up with that driver? Did you find out what happened?.
Didn’t see it but it seems like the guy passed or was very distracted, drifted to the right into the parked cars, with mine taking the brunt of it. The guy seemed ok side from a minor head injury, but was still carted off in an ambulance. I agree tho... seems like he must have been going really fast to push my car like that.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
I would also suggest you get a copy of the police report and video footage that may have been captured from home, business or municipal cameras.

do you have gap insurance? this would initially cover the value difference but I would think it would be easy to recover this from the other driver. Remember, you do not have a contract with the other driver's insurance. do not talk with them. They will want to settle right away. Only respond to them in writing and very carefully. This is thankfully only property damage so it is a matter of whether the cost of the repair is worth undertaking. I would want them to simply replace the car with another new 2020.

did you file a claim with your insurance yet?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Glad you are ok. Your bike rack still looks great. Weird. To get it totaled may be a bit of a stretch. Look for deminished value as another mensioned. Have the repairs made by the dealer and start talking to the dealer about trading it in.

·
Registered
816 Posts
That’s a corner hit,the frame will be out of whack.Looks to me like it should be totaled.Hope you had GAP insurance,good luck with the outcome.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would also suggest you get a copy of the police report and video footage that may have been captured from home, business or municipal cameras.

do you have gap insurance? this would initially cover the value difference but I would think it would be easy to recover this from the other driver. Remember, you do not have a contract with the other driver's insurance. do not talk with them. They will want to settle right away. Only respond to them in writing and very carefully. This is thankfully only property damage so it is a matter of whether the cost of the repair is worth undertaking. I would want them to simply replace the car with another new 2020.

did you file a claim with your insurance yet?
Do have gap insurance! Somehow got talked into that when signing for the car, and now I'm glad we did. But I think that only applies if it's totaled, correct?

Did file a claim, but they're waiting on the body shop to submit photos and such. Still need to get the police report...apparently it can take several days...or even up to a week.

Guess I'm sort of in limbo until my insurances shows their cards.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That’s a corner hit,the frame will be out of whack.Looks to me like it should be totaled.Hope you had GAP insurance,good luck with the outcome.
Yep...solid at good speed on that corner. Not even sure how they'd try to fix that. Yes to gap insurance...glad I got talked into it!

·
Registered
816 Posts
First thing the shop should look at is how true the frame ,any deviation...hello junkyard!

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Do have gap insurance! Somehow got talked into that when signing for the car, and now I'm glad we did. But I think that only applies if it's totaled, correct?

Did file a claim, but they're waiting on the body shop to submit photos and such. Still need to get the police report...apparently it can take several days...or even up to a week.

Guess I'm sort of in limbo until my insurances shows their cards.

Thanks for the tips!
Gap comes into play with it being totalled. Make sure someone else is paying for your rental during this process. They owe you a similar vehicle.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,841 Posts
Sad you had that mishap but glad the damage is primarily to the vehicle. It did its job. As to your question, the decision to "total" or not comes down to cost to repair and the nature of the actual damage. From a cost standpoint, it's based on the percentage of ACV of the vehicle (a depreciated value) that the repair cost is estimated to be with some wiggle room for unknown cost since it's not uncommon for "additional damage" to be discovered upon teardown for repair. Some kinds of damage really cannot be repaired to original specifications, too.

If it does come down to repair, be sure you go after diminished value because whether you keep the vehicle or unload it, a major accident/repair is going to affect resale/trade-in value.

And yea...if that's a relatively new Ascent, gap coverage is going to be your friend if it's totalled and you have it financed due to how steep initial depreciation is.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Glad to hear you were not in the car.

I suppose the big question now is whether or not you’d buy another one or if you’d look into something else.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Limited
101 Posts
I had a 2010 Forester XT with 19,000 miles on it when someone ran a stop sign, and I t-boned him going 45. Full airbag deployment, shattered glass, the whole 9 yards. I walked away fairly unscathed with a few little burn marks on my hands and face from the air bag deployment. Now I am on my sixth Subaru!

I let MY insurance company represent me in the claim even though it was the other driver's fault (I have USAA). I thought it would be a simple total as soon as they looked at it, but nope! It took 2 weeks speaking with the appraisal team about costs. @Jim_in_PA is completely correct. If the value of the car is $XX,XXX and the repairs are less than (for example) 60% of the car value ... they may try to fix it. I sent a very strong letter to USAA expressing my concern over an "air-bag deployment CARFAX" and the lost value. Whether or not that helped, a few days later they totaled the car and I moved on.

But, what's different in your case (it appears) is that you may have a direct hit to the left-rear frame components. Mine had a LOT of damage, but the frame was intact. Like others have said ... if the frame is out of whack, the likelihood of a total is higher.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I had a 2010 Forester XT with 19,000 miles on it when someone ran a stop sign, and I t-boned him going 45. Full airbag deployment, shattered glass, the whole 9 yards. I walked away fairly unscathed with a few little burn marks on my hands and face from the air bag deployment. Now I am on my sixth Subaru!

I let MY insurance company represent me in the claim even though it was the other driver's fault (I have USAA). I thought it would be a simple total as soon as they looked at it, but nope! It took 2 weeks speaking with the appraisal team about costs. @Jim_in_PA is completely correct. If the value of the car is $XX,XXX and the repairs are less than (for example) 60% of the car value ... they may try to fix it. I sent a very strong letter to USAA expressing my concern over an "air-bag deployment CARFAX" and the lost value. Whether or not that helped, a few days later they totaled the car and I moved on.

But, what's different in your case (it appears) is that you may have a direct hit to the left-rear frame components. Mine had a LOT of damage, but the frame was intact. Like others have said ... if the frame is out of whack, the likelihood of a total is higher.
Great info... Thanks.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
[/QUOTE]
I agree completely. The focus at this point ought to be to wait until a determination and if totaled filing the paperwork for gap insurance and or depreciated value. Basically recovering 100% of damages due to the accident. Next step is to figure out what your next vehicle purchase will be and get that lined up. If you are custom ordering a 2021 replacement Ascent it will take months and the insurance will not cover a rental for that time period. It would be a much easier transition if you are comfortable picking one off a dealer lot.

for the OP, please keep us posted as to how this works itself out in regard to the repair/totaled, diminished value and or gap insurance. The fact is if the vehicle is totaled the insurance is responsible to put you in a position you were in the moment prior to the accident. That means the value for your Ascent is less than what you paid for it, despite it being "new". That is precisely why gap insurance can be important. Gap insurance covers the difference between the value of the vehicle prior to the accident and the balance of any outstanding loan. I shopped around for my gap insurance and got a low price and along with my expected high mileage use made gap insurance an easier decision.

A insurance deductible $ amount would not be in play since you were not at fault.

from the link above:
Purchasing gap insurance makes the most sense if:

• You put down less than 20% when you bought the vehicle.
  • Your loan payoff period is five years or more.
  • You’re leasing the car.
  • Your particular vehicle has a history of depreciating quickly.
  • You put a relatively high number of miles on the odometer each year, making the car depreciate even faster.
Interested aspect of gap insurance I just now learned:
Do you get money back from gap insurance?
If you pay a vehicle loan off in full early, you may be entitled to a refund of the unused portion. Some states require insurers to refund the premiums if, for example, a 36-month loan with gap coverage for 36 months is paid in 24 months.

Often, the insurance provider will not let you know if you are due a refund. Make sure to keep your payoff letter, the original contract or insurance information and an odometer disclosure statement. It is important to know an insurer’s refund policy before buying gap insurance. It could be helpful to contact your state commerce department or insurance commissioner office to know state laws and regulations beforehand, or should an insurer refuse to issue a refund.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts