Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd give an update as to the problems as resolutions I have had with my 2019 Ascent, build month of June 2018:

For the past few months I have had a horrible pulsation while braking at high speeds or while going downhill. Also, one day at random, I started the morning to a slew of warning lights on the dash related to the headlights. In particular, the SRH, ABL, and HBA warnings. I was hoping the warnings would just go away, but after 1300 miles, they were still present. I finally had time to schedule and get the Ascent to the dealer on 12/19/19, right before my ski trip to central OR.

Upon arrival, I was informed of the WUV07 (CVT) and WUW08 (PCV) recall which they said were applicable to my Ascent. Now, again, I was never notified of these recalls by Subaru by mail, email, phone or even in the MySubaru app. I said go ahead and do them as well. The service tech was able to verify the brake pulsation and inspected the pads. They recommended to replace the front rotors as the pads were not worn. Unfortunately, they did not have the rotors in stock. With the holiday shutdown, I would have to wait until after Christmas to get the parts. The headlamp issue was throwing DTC U0181. It turns out that the connector was not fully seated and it may have also caused a blown fuse 18. So after the re-seat and fuse replacement, the headlamps work fine. After driving home I noticed that the CVT was much smoother and not as harsh shifting between gears.

Back to the brakes. The parts came in and I had my appointment for today, 1/3/20. Again, upon checking in they said there was another recall, WUU06 (ecu reprogram) open. Again, no notification from Subaru anywhere before this. I figured I was exempt from this and the CVT recall. At any rate, they installed the rotors under warranty and the pulsation is indeed gone. The drive home was also much better behaved with the ECU programming. Not that the Ascent needs any help selling, but if the throttle and shift response was like this from day 1, I doubt Subaru would lose sales to the competition based upon the driving dynamics. The dealer also topped off my wiper fluid.

With the major recalls done, I can hardly wait for some hard parts from COBB in 2020. Happy 2020!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Under federal regulations recall notices have to go out USPS snail mail before electronic notices can be sent. Those recalls happened around three weeks ago. It takes time to contract out, then print, stuff envelops, mail, and then add in the holiday crush. Tell your congresspersons it is time to update the regulations for modern communications.

You can go to this link and plug in your VIN and see any recalls as soon as they are issued. Subaru Cars, Sedans, SUVs | Subaru of America

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
I wonder if some bad rotors went out in June 2018? Mine were just replaced in Dec also, along with the pads to be safe. The rotors as you can see were pretty bad. I first noticed the pulsation at 20k mi and it took until 27k to get it fixed by going to a different dealership and contacting SOA. Glad you’re taken care of!
Auto part Tire Vehicle brake Automotive tire Automobile repair shop

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wonder if some bad rotors went out in June 2018? Mine were just replaced in Dec also, along with the pads to be safe. The rotors as you can see were pretty bad. I first noticed the pulsation at 20k mi and it took until 27k to get it fixed by going to a different dealership and contacting SOA. Glad you’re taken care of! View attachment 2805
I've had this happen too. There is a TSB out on it. My rotors were replaced. No problems since.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I just thought I'd give an update as to the problems as resolutions I have had with my 2019 Ascent, build month of June 2018:

For the past few months I have had a horrible pulsation while braking at high speeds or while going downhill. Also, one day at random, I started the morning to a slew of warning lights on the dash related to the headlights. In particular, the SRH, ABL, and HBA warnings. I was hoping the warnings would just go away, but after 1300 miles, they were still present. I finally had time to schedule and get the Ascent to the dealer on 12/19/19, right before my ski trip to central OR.

Upon arrival, I was informed of the WUV07 (CVT) and WUW08 (PCV) recall which they said were applicable to my Ascent. Now, again, I was never notified of these recalls by Subaru by mail, email, phone or even in the MySubaru app. I said go ahead and do them as well. The service tech was able to verify the brake pulsation and inspected the pads. They recommended to replace the front rotors as the pads were not worn. Unfortunately, they did not have the rotors in stock. With the holiday shutdown, I would have to wait until after Christmas to get the parts. The headlamp issue was throwing DTC U0181. It turns out that the connector was not fully seated and it may have also caused a blown fuse 18. So after the re-seat and fuse replacement, the headlamps work fine. After driving home I noticed that the CVT was much smoother and not as harsh shifting between gears.

Back to the brakes. The parts came in and I had my appointment for today, 1/3/20. Again, upon checking in they said there was another recall, WUU06 (ecu reprogram) open. Again, no notification from Subaru anywhere before this. I figured I was exempt from this and the CVT recall. At any rate, they installed the rotors under warranty and the pulsation is indeed gone. The drive home was also much better behaved with the ECU programming. Not that the Ascent needs any help selling, but if the throttle and shift response was like this from day 1, I doubt Subaru would lose sales to the competition based upon the driving dynamics. The dealer also topped off my wiper fluid.

With the major recalls done, I can hardly wait for some hard parts from COBB in 2020. Happy 2020!!!
I agree with the throttle and smother shifting especially at lower speed. The car also is easier to drive especially when you are following other cars because the throttle response is not the panicky anymore. With regards to the notifications from Subaru, I think these 3 recalls( pcv, ecu and the tcm ) have been out since November last year. I didn’t wait for Subaru to send me any email/snail mail since all the information that I need have been out from this forum and some members have been very active regarding this matter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The ECU update does not effect vehicle performance and anything you noticed as being improved is the Placebo effect.

ECU Reprogramming C1424

Description
In some vehicles, the current software may cause the sub learning value control to operate improperly during the wake-up mode of the ECM. This could cause repeated erroneous learning of the accelerator position which can result in the disabling of the VDC function. When the VDC function is disabled, EyeSight, Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB), and Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) auto release functions are disabled by the VDC fail signal causing the VDC, EyeSight, RAB and EPB warning lamps to illuminate.
Safety Risk
None
Remedy
Subaru retailers will reprogram the ECM.

·
Administrator
10,954 Posts
The ECU update does not effect vehicle performance and anything you noticed as being improved is the Placebo effect.

ECU Reprogramming C1424

Description
In some vehicles, the current software may cause the sub learning value control to operate improperly during the wake-up mode of the ECM. This could cause repeated erroneous learning of the accelerator position which can result in the disabling of the VDC function. When the VDC function is disabled, EyeSight, Reverse Automatic Braking (RAB), and Electronic Parking Brake (EPB) auto release functions are disabled by the VDC fail signal causing the VDC, EyeSight, RAB and EPB warning lamps to illuminate.
Safety Risk
None
Remedy
Subaru retailers will reprogram the ECM.
It's not the placebo effect, but you are correct it's not the ECU reprogramming that caused it. The TCM update affects those items and is causing the changed shifting and apparent performance changes (performance isn't really changed in the speed sense, but how it feels and shifts is definitely changed for those who had earlier TCM code).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts