Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We recently traded our Terrain in and decided to give Subaru a try. Happy so far. Only question is our bike rack sits very high on the vehicle compared to our last. Is this normal? Also the rack seems to not position in as far as ot did with my last hitch?.
Transport Water Bumper Automotive exterior Tree
Bumper Automotive exterior Tire Automotive tire Auto part

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,844 Posts
You might consider asking the administrator to move your thread to the Accessories area. There are also previous threads in that discussion area relative to hitch receiver height and things like bike racks. One solution is to use a "double hitch receiver" which provides a second 2" receiver location that can be about 4-5" lower. It does extend your rack farther than the vehicles, but it also gets it down lower.

With many vehicles have hitch receivers integral to the bumper these days, certain bike racks, etc., are going to be positioned much higher than folks are used to and that the racks were originally designed for.

Reactions: REB1

·
Registered
418 Posts
I actually think the higher hitch is a feature, as I'm planning on getting a cargo tray thingie for my hitch, and the higher location will keep it away from the exhaust, which can melt things stored on the cargo tray if too close to it. I imagine having your cargo carrying solution farther away from the vehicle could also mitigate that risk.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yup it's a higher receiver height than some other vehicles. My hitch-mounted storage box sits quite a bit higher than on my old Merc GL450, which is still a fine height for access and it does sit above the hot exhaust.

If you hate the resulting height of your rack, maybe search for a drop height receiver extender, something like this (just googled it, not something I bought):

F.S.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Having the bike rack/trays higher will be a huge advantage if you drive on wet gravel roads. Will keep bikes out of the yuk. Haven't tried my hitch rack on the Ascent, happy to see this info!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yup it's a higher receiver height than some other vehicles. My hitch-mounted storage box sits quite a bit higher than on my old Merc GL450, which is still a fine height for access and it does sit above the hot exhaust.

If you hate the resulting height of your rack, maybe search for a drop height receiver extender, something like this (just googled it, not something I bought):

F.S.
Thank you for this information. I'm hoping a dual hitch adapter with an 8" drop will be the answer for towing our Casita. We have a mount with a 2" ball and also a small ball for the sway bar. I've had a difficult time finding a drop mount for that arrangement. The mount we have was no problem with our Outback but as everyone above has mentioned, the hitch receiver that comes with the Ascent is quite a bit higher. I've ordered one of the Roadmaster adapters. I'll write back when it arrives and we've tested it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A receiver extender of that sort is to lower the 2" receiver to than plug in something (bike rack, wharever). If you're just trying to have a ball at a lower height, how about the Subaru ball mount that comes with the factory hitch mount? It drops several inches and is quite well made. I used it to tow a U-Haul cargo trailer.
F.S.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts