Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of previous discussion on this forum in several threads about possible missing turbo bolts. I believe Robert mentioned this as possibly involving the inter cooler piping sometime back in August. Well here’s my story.

We picked up our new pre ordered Black Touring model at the dealer on 6/28/2018. Drove it home...approximately 50 miles. That evening in the garage upon examining the engine compartment and closing the hood a bolt apparently fell out on our carpeted garage floor. The bolt was not discovered immediately, but a half hour or so later by a visiting neighbor on the carpet under the front passenger wheel well. I immediately examined all front areas underneath and around engine compartment that I could see with flashlight. Nothing missing. Wrote SOA a message with pictures, received reply stating that I should have car inspected by a dealer. We were very short on time...leaving for 2 1/2 months...and could not have it checked until today.

Today, with 257 miles on the car the results are in.....

Had this bolt not fallen out on my garage floor....I would have never known that I had a problem.
Sadly, and based on others input to this forum, no proactive action that I know of has been taken by Subaru to alert customers of a potential problem.....there are three bolts that hold the inter cooler piping in place.

However, I am very pleased with my dealers response and hopefully others may benefit by having this checked. Access to the inter cooler piping is not user friendly! Our vehicle was produced very early June 2018.

Attachments

·
Registered
561 Posts
Crazy it fell out on your garage floor, glad it was resolved without much fuss.

Anyone have schematic as to where these are located exactly?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Slam of hood probably caused it to jump off under engine cover plate...only a guess!
No schematic, but location of piping is at upper back of engine and is not easily accessible other from underneath and using a lift.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I was watched a documentary many years ago about engine building in Japan, forgot if it's Toyota, nissan, or Honda, but there was a QC point that they check when fastening bolts. The controlling point was to mark over the bolt head w/ a paint marker, ensuring that it's fastened properly.

Although this intercooler piping bolt isn't as critical as the engine, but I wonder if SOA develop adequate QA plan or implement the QC process adequately, ensuring that these things doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Shhishh.. Glad it was a simple fix and didn’t cause a holiday trip snafu.

Regarding carpet or any flammable material on your garage floor. Check to make sure your homeowners insurance covers you for fire loss especially if the garage floor has a flamable covering.

A friend lost his home and ended up in a big long drawn out fight with his insurer because of the cause ie carpeted garage floor under the car.

I know three other people who lost cars and garages due to similar instances. Modern cars have super hot catalytic converters under them in the exhaust system. They easily light flammable materials on fire when parked for a period of time. Here in the west we also avoid parking or sitting in one spot when off road in high grass same issue only now you’ve started an epic wild fire.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Shhishh.. Glad it was a simple fix and didn’t cause a holiday trip snafu.

Regarding carpet or any flammable material on your garage floor. Check to make sure your homeowners insurance covers you for fire loss especially if the garage floor has a flamable covering.

A friend lost his home and ended up in a big long drawn out fight with his insurer because of the cause ie carpeted garage floor under the car.

I know three other people who lost cars and garages due to similar instances. Modern cars have super hot catalytic converters under them in the exhaust system. They easily light flammable materials on fire when parked for a period of time. Here in the west we also avoid parking or sitting in one spot when off road in high grass same issue only now you’ve started an epic wild fire.
Thanks for your concerns..I am aware of fire hazards...I have small area ..approximately front one third of auto over polypropylene low nap indoor/outdoor carpet...no oil, solvents, gasoline on carpet...My carpet apparently absorbed the sound of the falling bolt when I let the hood drop....the missing bolt issue could have been a significant issue in another 5000 miles and then no assurance that Subaru would have caught it doing an oil change...hopefully feed back will generate a service bulletin and others in my Vin range will be checked.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts