Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a limited about 2 weeks ago (technically dealer inventory but at the rail head) and it arrived today! Damaged...

Apparently a chain broke loose on the hauling truck and it smacked against the driver side door and window denting the door and scraping the paint. The sales person said Subaru of America will contact me and said that color matching the paint could be problematic since it's so new.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh my gosh so sorry to hear that. Did you still buy the vehicle, waiting till it is fixed, or asking for a new order?

Any pictures to show how bad the damage is?
The sales person sent me pics after I posted this. It doesn't seem as bad as what was described given the haulers chains are pretty heavy, it looks nearly immaculate and I'll see what options Subaru of America provides me before making a decision, I'd prefer to receive the vehicle as is on written condition that it be repaired in the near future.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I'd prefer to receive the vehicle as is on written condition that it be repaired in the near future.
Unfortunately, stuff like this does sometimes happen. It's especially gruesome when you have a car that was on the top row of the car hauler, because those are always facing backwards, and it ends up eating a bird - right under the top spoiler. I've seen rear wipers broken off before due to bird strikes.

We get door dings all the time, and if the reconditioning guys that your dealership uses are any good at all, you'll never know anything happened. I had someone back a pick-up into the front fender of an Outback before, so we had to get a new fender skin and repaint the whole front end so it'd blend. It happens, takes a couple of days to fix, and it's good as new. AND since it's still not 'your' car yet, any repairs would still be covered under factory warranty. (You don't even WANT to know how many factory defects get caught in the factory and have to be fixed by the paint touch up crew in the plant. They have their own dedicated area and crew that does those.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
The sales person sent me pics after I posted this. It doesn't seem as bad as what was described given the haulers chains are pretty heavy, it looks nearly immaculate and I'll see what options Subaru of America provides me before making a decision, I'd prefer to receive the vehicle as is on written condition that it be repaired in the near future.
This does happen. Cars get damaged in transport. Cars that go to the dealer have this happen and are repaired prior to delivery. You as a customer will never know this. I bought a truck and realized years later that one of the panels had been repainted. It just wasn't as smooth as the others.

With that color matching on a single panel can be a pain and some people notice it more than others. Also factory paint is baked, where as repair paint is not if they don't take everything off the door. Baked paint is much more resilient and harder than when it air drys.

This is my 2 cents because I am OCD, but I wouldn't take delivery. Maybe with a big discount, I would think about it, but to me the car is no longer new. Hopefully they make it right for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately, stuff like this does sometimes happen. It's especially gruesome when you have a car that was on the top row of the car hauler, because those are always facing backwards, and it ends up eating a bird - right under the top spoiler. I've seen rear wipers broken off before due to bird strikes.

We get door dings all the time, and if the reconditioning guys that your dealership uses are any good at all, you'll never know anything happened. I had someone back a pick-up into the front fender of an Outback before, so we had to get a new fender skin and repaint the whole front end so it'd blend. It happens, takes a couple of days to fix, and it's good as new. AND since it's still not 'your' car yet, any repairs would still be covered under factory warranty. (You don't even WANT to know how many factory defects get caught in the factory and have to be fixed by the paint touch up crew in the plant. They have their own dedicated area and crew that does those.)
They're taking the vehicle to the auto body shop they work with to get an appraisal to send to Subaru of America. The damage really seems pretty small; three small dents all smaller than 1" with the smallest being maybe a quarter inch and some paint scuffing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
If it truly bothers you, you could probably request some credit in the form of Subaru Bucks from the main customer service number, or maybe through the dealership if they have some type of relationship.

Again, things happen, and I'm sure they'll make it right. Good luck with your ride.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it truly bothers you, you could probably request some credit in the form of Subaru Bucks from the main customer service number, or maybe through the dealership if they have some type of relationship.

Again, things happen, and I'm sure they'll make it right. Good luck with your ride.
Honestly I'm fine with them just repairing it. The only part that is frustrating is waiting for 2 weeks while it sat at the railhead only to find out I'll have to wait a few more days while it's repaired. The sales person is my brother-in-law so I know I'm well taken care of.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On the 6th day with our Ascent we parked in a store parking lot 3 spaces away from anyone and out a ways. 20 minutes later we came out to find a 4 nicks and when you look at it just right you can see a 4" crease in the driver side rear door. Now our 6 day Ascent has the same number of dings as our 11 year old Touareg. 1 total. I was crying inside.

·
Registered
149 Posts
On the 6th day with our Ascent we parked in a store parking lot 3 spaces away from anyone and out a ways. 20 minutes later we came out to find a 4 nicks and when you look at it just right you can see a 4" crease in the driver side rear door. Now our 6 day Ascent has the same number of dings as our 11 year old Touareg. 1 total. I was crying inside.
People are the worst. So sorry. I hope the offending party gets leprosy. We are having a hard time with people wanting to come see ours and then they bring their kids and the kids get in and I hate them all a little bit as they crawl around and touch things. My husband hates them a lot. We may just bubble wrap her.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I am laughing inside. (not really) Cherry literally looks like sideways hail damage. 20 parking lot digs before I bought her. 10 more in the last 18 months.

Most people s*ck.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Honestly I'm fine with them just repairing it. The only part that is frustrating is waiting for 2 weeks while it sat at the railhead only to find out I'll have to wait a few more days while it's repaired. The sales person is my brother-in-law so I know I'm well taken care of.
I feel you on this. That said, bitch bitch bitch and make sure you call SOA and get ALL of this in your record. I can almost guarantee that they will send you some sweet swag and anytime you ever have an issue, they'll be extra nice and take care of you because of the history.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Ugh! That makes me sick... sorry to hear that.

The other day we had a rock fly up from a truck and chip off some paint (down to the metal) right at the leading edge of the roof line on our blue Ascent. The service guy said he'd order touch up paint for us, then immediately replied back saying it's not even available yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
People are the worst. So sorry. I hope the offending party gets leprosy. We are having a hard time with people wanting to come see ours and then they bring their kids and the kids get in and I hate them all a little bit as they crawl around and touch things. My husband hates them a lot. We may just bubble wrap her.
Or you could bubble wrap the kids. :smile: I have a couple of young boys so I’m only half-joking when I say this.

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Now you can take it off road and not worry? Trying to be upbeat about this!

·
Registered
965 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts