Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While driving my Ascent Limited in to town, I made braking right turn, which goes downward from highway to rural paved road. As Ascent started to straighten from corner, with Ascent still tilted downward, about a tablespoon of brownish liquid poured down on my right hand on steering wheel. (see first pic)

The liquid came from right front corner of driver's overhead light. There was even some liquid still between the overhead light's plastic lens and cut-out area for overhead. (see 2nd pic)

The liquid had a electrical like smell to it. It also seemed sticky. Brownish liquid looked and felt like soda pop.

Adding to absolute strangeness of it. The Subaru Ascent Limited does not have a sun/moon roof. No modifications to roof. Even though there has been lots of rain, the Limited had been parked inside a metal building for couple of weeks.

What has me puzzled is...
How did liquid get in overhead console system?
Why hasn't liquid come out before when driving same route?
Why isn't there stains on ceiling liner? Or how could liquid stay in overhead console and not come out else where?

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
While driving my Ascent Limited in to town, I made braking right turn, which goes downward from highway to rural paved road. As Ascent started to straighten from corner, with Ascent still tilted downward, about a tablespoon of brownish liquid poured down on my right hand on steering wheel. (see first pic)

The liquid came from right front corner of driver's overhead light. There was even some liquid still between the overhead light's plastic lens and cut-out area for overhead. (see 2nd pic)

The liquid had a electrical like smell to it. It also seemed sticky. Brownish liquid looked and felt like soda pop.

Adding to absolute strangeness of it. The Subaru Ascent Limited does not have a sun/moon roof. No modifications to roof. Even though there has been lots of rain, the Limited had been parked inside a metal building for couple of weeks.

What has me puzzled is...
How did liquid get in overhead console system?
Why hasn't liquid come out before when driving same route?
Why isn't there stains on ceiling liner? Or how could liquid stay in overhead console and not come out else where?

View attachment 12562

View attachment 12563
you certainly have water leaking into the vehicle. It probably is following wire to that light fixture location. It can then be heating up and possibly changing color from wires and or electrical connections. It might be an antioxidant on a terminal.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Time for investigation and that overhead console and liner gotta come down. You obviously have a roof leak. If the other side of the liner is a impermeable layer, then it won't seep thru. I wouldn't be surprised, if persist, you'll find water in the A or B pillars.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
I wouldn't touch anything at all, and bring it to the dealership. Chances are there's a leak at a roof rail mount as @Luis Padilla suggested. It's also possible something melted in or around the lights. I wouldn't want a claim/warranty issue denied because some tech saw I'd been in the area and might have caused the problem.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
If you were driving at highway speed in very heavy rain, the water can be pushed upward and find a windshield leak.

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

That is sort of what I was thinking. Except it was tear in barrier between dimensions and reality. In alt-verse, Ascent's roof is soda machine cup tray.
I mean, yes, these could be reasons as well... but, I'd hope that your dealership is equipped to deal with such things - aren't they all? 😂🤣😁

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you were driving at highway speed in very heavy rain, the water can be pushed upward and find a windshield leak.
Which area of the windshield would this be evident, along the top? Would the water get pushed through gaps in the window seals? Just curious as I would never even think of that being an issue

·
Administrator
10,206 Posts
Pretty much anywhere the seal may have failed.

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
865 Posts
Which area of the windshield would this be evident, along the top? Would the water get pushed through gaps in the window seals? Just curious as I would never even think of that being an issue
Windshields are structural in that they are glued into the window frame unlike the past where the windshield was set into a channeled gasket. The gaskets had flex, the glue doesn't. while rare, the glue could have been poorly applied, there could have been a depression in the window frame or the bond could have failed. Most likely anywhere along the top edge of the glass if that's where is coming from. Of course as mentioned there are also mounting holes in the roof for the rails.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts