Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been an active ”lurker” on this forum since I bought my 2019 Ascent Limited in November of 2018. I’ve read many posts, and found a lot of helpful information over this time. This last Wednesday, I was t-boned by another vehicle after the driver lost control on an icy road. They crossed the center line coming towards me and I managed to turn towards the shoulder as they hit my driver‘s side traveling at over 50 miles per hour. I walked away with nothing more than some bruising and a lot of soreness. I bought a Subaru because I have a family, the safety of which is my number one priority when shopping for a vehicle. We all read the safety ratings and consumer reports, and we all hope that we never have to experience those safety features first hand. My Ascent was put to a real life test, and the results speak for themselves. I’ve attached a couple of photos to show the impact to my poor Ascent. I’d be happy to answer any questions about the experience. As a side note, I’m wading through the murky waters of an underinsured at-fault driver in Indiana, so now my insurance has to get involved, but I absolutely will be replacing my Ascent with another one!!

·
Super Moderator
2,428 Posts
Wow. Glad you’re ok! That’s looks like a hefty impact.
Good luck with the insurance but at least that’s just money not health
What kind of vehicle was the other and how did that driver fare?

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
This of course was the primary reason I purchased the Ascent. Happy to see you walked away from the accident. The primary purpose of our vehicle is to get us from point A to point B safely. Cup holders do not matter. Not even a blip.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
So glad you are going to be ok. Your Ascent did the job it was supposed to do!

And your comments about the drive being underinsured is an important reminder to all...uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is really important to protect you. Don't skimp on that coverage. It's not all that expensive to cover yourself for the same level of liability that you cover others if roles were reversed. While insurance is state specific, here in PA, coverage for both at $500K only runs me $66 a year for each vehicle on my particular policy with my particular carrier.

·
Registered
171 Posts
So glad you are going to be ok. Your Ascent did the job it was supposed to do!

And your comments about the drive being underinsured is an important reminder to all...uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is really important to protect you. Don't skimp on that coverage. It's not all that expensive to cover yourself for the same level of liability that you cover others if roles were reversed. While insurance is state specific, here in PA, coverage for both at $500K only runs me $66 a year for each vehicle on my particular policy with my particular carrier.
Gotta have it, especially in NH where there is no compulsory insurance. Most, if not all, auto insurance written in NH requires uninsured/ under insurance coverage.... if you are uninsured and involved in an accident, you are automatically deemed at fault......then, you are required to get insurance from the state-mandated high-risk [email protected]$5k plus/yr.

the ascent did its job fortunately for the OP

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,851 Posts
NH', yes, ti's important to have uninsured/underinsured coverage. The bigger point I was making was to set the limits to the same as you insure others for if you wack them. For example, if you have $300K limits on your own liability, set your UI/UI to $300K, too. There are a lot of folks who take the lowest limits for UI/UI by default and a lot of agents who don't bother to mention it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
NH', yes, ti's important to have uninsured/underinsured coverage. The bigger point I was making was to set the limits to the same as you insure others for if you wack them. For example, if you have $300K limits on your own liability, set your UI/UI to $300K, too. There are a lot of folks who take the lowest limits for UI/UI by default and a lot of agents who don't bother to mention it.
yep.... understood. I max all coverage

·
Registered
918 Posts
Since my first Subaru back in 2009 people would always ask my what that big knob looking thing sticking out of my door is. I'd show them where the integrated door bars slide into the door jamb to provide a solid side impact protection area. It's really quite a simple solution but very effective.

If I'm not mistaken, I can see 2 of those door bars in your 2nd picture. Looks like they were ripped loose, but all the energy kept the other car from coming farther into yours.

So glad you're safe!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Glad you're ok. Be careful of soft tissue damage, shoulder, elbows etc... if you have some pains, don't ignore them. Soft tissue damage can be actually harder to treat than breaks! (A family member had a career ending soft tissue injury in a car crash that did less than $2,000 to the car!)

·
Registered
965 Posts
I was right. Subaru makes tanks, although I am not sure if an Abrams would have fared as well.
I might have ...
:p

My pickup got totaled last fall when an uninsured motorist ran a red light and broadsided me. It was all paid for, too ...
Thank goodness I work at a car dealership, so I got a good preowned Impreza. Which makes Subaru number 7 for us, with the wife in her Fozzie.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Glad you were able to walk away from this. Another reason why I'm happy I went with the Ascent.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
This is at least the 2nd thread started by somebody after getting saved by their Ascent. I got my Ascent as a replacement for my RX350 that was totaled when I got t-boned by a F350 running a red light. I figure the Ascent is at least as safe and don't expect to see many posts by anybody who got killed in one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts