Subaru Ascent Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,284 Posts
Perhaps the best solution when Apple Watch is involved is to simply use CarPlay for music playback...

·
Registered
11 Posts
CarPlay works great, but I paid a lot for the Ascent and it would be nice if I could just leave my phone in my pocket and play music like my 2004 Crosstrek can...

I do have an Apple Watch, though. I'll have to do some tests to see if it only happens with the watch.

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
I’ve now tried the latest iPhone (11pro max) with the Apple Watch 5 and the problem is there as always. I’m working with Subaru now after nearly a year of trying to fix it through Apple. It’s definitely caused by a combination of simultaneous watch and car pairing but that should not be a problem because as you said, mfrk, it works just fine in other cars and with other devices like speakers.
You misunderstood. This is a long running iPhone bug that affects Carplay on various cars. It sometimes seems to disappear, and then resurface in a new Apple release.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
2,284 Posts
For sure, that works but it does not solve the basic problem...
I agree...but given the circumstances, it IS a viable solution.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You misunderstood. This is a long running iPhone bug that affects Carplay on various cars. It sometimes seems to disappear, and then resurface in a new Apple release.

View attachment 5353
My only problem with your logic is that I have had several iPhones over the years and have used bluetooth to multiple devices, speakers, headphones on all types, multiple vehicles, etc and this is the first time I have experienced stuttering. From that experience it points me back to Subaru. I would go along with it could be a combination of both systems but to say it is the iPhone when its worked for me for several years and iOS versions and iPhones seems a little far fetched. Please explain to me how it works with everything else but Subaru.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have been trying to figure out why the music in my 2020 Touring keeps skipping. The dealer referred me to Subaru HQ, as he can’t figure out the problem. When my iPhone 11 is connected via Bluetooth to the car, the music (iTunes) keeps skipping. I can see the timer for the song being held a few seconds (on the screen of the car) and then rushes to catch up to the iPhone. It also seems like the tempo is all wrong with some songs. This happened with my iPhone 8 and also when the phone was attached to the car with proper usb cable. This is our first Subaru, purchased in November and we love it, but not being able to listen to my music is not good! Already brought car in for updates to tech in late December. Any ideas? Thanks Subaru community
So I did a little more research and I'm fairly positive I have a solution for my situation. I can't speak for anyone else. I have a 2021 Crosstrek Sport edition with the standard HU (I think). I do have the 8" screen but do not have the Harman Kardon version. I tried multiple things mentioned and that are normal when troubleshooting bluetooth issues. Re-pairing, etc. I wondered if if it might be an interference problem since WIFI and Bluetooth can share 2.4Ghz frequencies. I turned off the Wifi and drove around for 1/2 hr or so and no stuttering using a Bluetooth connection for audio. I turned it back on and within a couple of minutes the stuttering returned. Turned Wfi back off and it went away. I have no idea if this is what others are experiencing with Subaru HU's but I "think" it is resolved for me. I never heard a stutter once in my 30 minute drive when Wifi was turned off.

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
My only problem with your logic is that I have had several iPhones over the years and have used bluetooth to multiple devices, speakers, headphones on all types, multiple vehicles, etc and this is the first time I have experienced stuttering. From that experience it points me back to Subaru. I would go along with it could be a combination of both systems but to say it is the iPhone when its worked for me for several years and iOS versions and iPhones seems a little far fetched. Please explain to me how it works with everything else but Subaru.
It's not my logic. It's numerous end user reports. That's why I screen shotted the search results page. It's sporadic. It shows up in various iPhone software configs but not others, when paired to certain head units (not just Subaru's).

And it's not happening on Android, which also uses Bluetooth for music.
😉😞

So I did a little more research and I'm fairly positive I have a solution for my situation. I can't speak for anyone else. I have a 2021 Crosstrek Sport edition with the standard HU (I think). I do have the 8" screen but do not have the Harman Kardon version. I tried multiple things mentioned and that are normal when troubleshooting bluetooth issues. Re-pairing, etc. I wondered if if it might be an interference problem since WIFI and Bluetooth can share 2.4Ghz frequencies. I turned off the Wifi and drove around for 1/2 hr or so and no stuttering using a Bluetooth connection for audio. I turned it back on and within a couple of minutes the stuttering returned. Turned Wfi back off and it went away. I have no idea if this is what others are experiencing with Subaru HU's but I "think" it is resolved for me. I never heard a stutter once in my 30 minute drive when Wifi was turned off.

Possibly because the Apple Watch uses bluetooth and Wifi. It's perhaps trying to renegotiate via wifi when Bluetooth gets really busy talking to the head unit. Regardless, that seems to be an issue with the iPhone managing the connections, since this is an Apple/iPhone specific issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The FB group mentions Apple Watches might be causing the issue. If a phone is paired to an Apple Watch and the car via Bluetooth, then the music skips. Perhaps the iPhone doesn’t have enough Bluetooth bandwidth to communicate with both devices- but it works fine with other cars/speakers so what’s different here?
I just bought a 2020 WRX Premium w/ 7" HU -- my apologies if this is a wildly different HU -- and I experience Bluetooth skipping with an iPhone 11 and Apple Watch Series 2. I haven't experimented enough to confirm, but the only times I've been completely irritated with the skipping, I've been wearing the watch. Putting the watch in airplane mode did not totally alleviate the issue. With no fiddling, music is unlistenabl

I'm not sure I've noticed any skipping on days I've left the watch at home, but those have been very seldom days. Not enough testing to weigh in any more than that.

No skipping at all via Apple USB cable (CarPlay) and all music is downloaded to the iPhone.

I haven't tried updating the HU firmware yet, but I will!

61 - 69 of 69 Posts