Subaru Ascent Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
695 Posts
I don't use Carplay but had a thought about the skipping problem: Has anyone tried turning off Show Notifications in your Bluetooth>Subaru BT iPhone settings? Could incoming notifications be causing the skipping?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Interesting idea. I do know that incoming notifications on my phone, even if Android Auto doesn't alert for them, causes audio ducking for each notification, regardless of whether AA is going to show a notification or play a sound. .

I don't use Carplay but had a thought about the skipping problem: Has anyone tried turning off Show Notifications in your Bluetooth>Subaru BT settings? Could oncoming notifications be causing the skipping?

View attachment 3179

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't use Carplay but had a thought about the skipping problem: Has anyone tried turning off Show Notifications in your Bluetooth>Subaru BT iPhone settings? Could incoming notifications be causing the skipping?

View attachment 3179
I have notifications and sync contacts off as this was something I thought might fix it but has not. I went to the dealership today and was told the system was working as designed. It is unfortunate that a technology that has been in cars for years is this problematic.

·
Registered
133 Posts
This issue cropped up for me this weekend. 2019 Premium no-nav. It was in for service last week and they did the latest software update. Using Android phones via bluetooth. Downloaded audio files skip every couple seconds. It's like a mini buffer that throws off the tempo. It wouldn't just cut out the audio. I haven't really started troubleshooting it yet. Any ideas?

·
Registered
569 Posts
This happened to me multiple times last week on my ascent, and in our F pace, over the course of about three days, now it's fine again. It also happened once when I was using Bluetooth earbuds.

Maybe it was the asteroid?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Be aware if you do this you risk losing your clock syncing. For some reason the clock only talks to your phone if notifications are enabled on the phone's bluetooth settings.

on the other hand...
I can't remember the last time I played music over BT from my iPhone. Just plug it in and get CarPlay which is much smoother than the factory UI.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Today we brought our car to Liberty and they did a hard reset. We drove the car all day after that and we didn’t hear the skipping once. I think the problem has been solved. Thanks to Robert for sending us to a reliable and experienced service staff.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a new 2020 Ascent Limited with the H&K audio. I have the skipping / speeding up problem. I updated to 19.46.70 using the map downloader and it didn't help.

What's a hard reset? (I could hard reset the car by disconnecting the battery... or is there a way to reset just the head unit?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Since I’ve purchased my 2020 Limited back in September, I’ve noticed the Bluetooth audio coming from my iPhone (on iOS 13.1.2) frequently skips and cuts out completely (for a 1/4 second) as well. If I have it playing via USB and CarPlay, it works perfectly fine. I’ll perform the update for the firmware but judging from the responses here, there seems to be a deeper problem. I’ve never had a Bluetooth streaming issue from my phone to any other speaker or car until now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Well the skipping returned with a vengeance just a few days after my post indicating that the hard reset fixed the skipping. It was going so well. Not anymore.

·
Administrator
7,953 Posts
Well the skipping returned with a vengeance just a few days after my post indicating that the hard reset fixed the skipping. It was going so well. Not anymore.
I've been digging into this, and, apparently, the reset is only a temporary fix, and the issue is an iPhone issue across various cars, with no apparent consistency. For instance, here's 229 people in one single thread who have the issue:
Here's a post that purportedly has a fix, but, as I don't have an iPhone (or skipping issue), I cannot test it:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I have tried some of these fixes but not all. I’m going to try each one, one at a time to see if the problem resolves. I do have an iPhone 11, but when I bought the car I had an iPhone 8, and the issue was happening then as well, also these issues never came up with any of my previous vehicles. Thank you Robert for trying so hard to help solve this. I’m not giving up yet!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have tried some of these fixes but not all. I’m going to try each one, one at a time to see if the problem resolves. I do have an iPhone 11, but when I bought the car I had an iPhone 8, and the issue was happening then as well, also these issues never came up with any of my previous vehicles. Thank you Robert for trying so hard to help solve this. I’m not giving up yet!
I have a 2019 Touring and have an iPhone 11 Pro max with the music skipping issue. I tried all of the fixes and nothing worked. I brought the Ascent to the dealership and they said they are ordering a new head unit and it would take about a month to get in. I haven't gotten the new one installed yet but will let you know if it solves the issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
We thought we heard the skipping also when playing SiriusXM, but today we are sure of it. It was skipping while listening to 70’s on 7. Samsung phone connected to car via Bluetooth but it was NOT in use (no IPhone connected to car at all).
So this is NOT an IPhone issue, this is a car radio issue. Going to call Subaru HQ on Monday. This is unacceptable. Brand new car, top of the line in its model and brand. What’s going on Subaru?????

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been trying to figure out why the music in my 2020 Touring keeps skipping. The dealer referred me to Subaru HQ, as he can’t figure out the problem. When my iPhone 11 is connected via Bluetooth to the car, the music (iTunes) keeps skipping. I can see the timer for the song being held a few seconds (on the screen of the car) and then rushes to catch up to the iPhone. It also seems like the tempo is all wrong with some songs. This happened with my iPhone 8 and also when the phone was attached to the car with proper usb cable. This is our first Subaru, purchased in November and we love it, but not being able to listen to my music is not good! Already brought car in for updates to tech in late December. Any ideas? Thanks Subaru community
I have been troubleshooting a very similar issue between my 2019 Limited Ascent and my iPhone 11 Pro. Same issue you described except it only does in over BT connection. If I reset the BT connection from my phone the problem resolved but comes right back the next time I drive. I took it once to Subaru and they did not find anything wrong because it works with their phones and they say the software is up to date. Somewhere between Apple and Subaru is the answer. It’s very frustrating though...however it works fine with my wife’s iPhone X. I’m taking it back to Subaru this weekend for another round of troubleshooting from the car side because I’ve exhausted troubleshooting from the phone side with Apple. The best answer they gave me is that it’s likely a hardware issue.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yep, you explained the situation perfectly. The problem came back for us as well, about a week after the dealership reset the car audio. I don’t think there will be a fix for this until we get a new phone (this one is already new) or different car. I’m very frustrated because I don’t like to use the iPhone cable because I forget my phone in the car if I do. This situation should not be happening in this age of technology.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The FB group mentions Apple Watches might be causing the issue. If a phone is paired to an Apple Watch and the car via Bluetooth, then the music skips. Perhaps the iPhone doesn’t have enough Bluetooth bandwidth to communicate with both devices- but it works fine with other cars/speakers so what’s different here?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’ve now tried the latest iPhone (11pro max) with the Apple Watch 5 and the problem is there as always. I’m working with Subaru now after nearly a year of trying to fix it through Apple. It’s definitely caused by a combination of simultaneous watch and car pairing but that should not be a problem because as you said, mfrk, it works just fine in other cars and with other devices like speakers.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts