Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been trying to figure out why the music in my 2020 Touring keeps skipping. The dealer referred me to Subaru HQ, as he can’t figure out the problem. When my iPhone 11 is connected via Bluetooth to the car, the music (iTunes) keeps skipping. I can see the timer for the song being held a few seconds (on the screen of the car) and then rushes to catch up to the iPhone. It also seems like the tempo is all wrong with some songs. This happened with my iPhone 8 and also when the phone was attached to the car with proper usb cable. This is our first Subaru, purchased in November and we love it, but not being able to listen to my music is not good! Already brought car in for updates to tech in late December. Any ideas? Thanks Subaru community

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
What version of iOS are you running? What you are describing sounds like a data issue.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don’t know about our Ascent but my Crosstreks have the same issue and it’s been widely known in their forums. It’s like the head unit computer or the phone has a hiccup because it’s doing other things in the background. I don’t notice it when connected by the lightening cord using Apple Play. Music wise, we generally use USBs and don’t have problems skipping for the Ascent/Crosstrek. There is a lawsuit concerning the head unit for the Crosstrek.

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
What year Crosstrek? Also, since it does not happen with any other Bluetooth devices, that would suggest that the issue is iOS related, and not the head unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
iOS 13.3. Is there a link to show me how to perform the update over WiFi? I would think that the update they performed in late December was the latest update, but I’m willing to try again.

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
iOS 13.3. Is there a link to show me how to perform the update over WiFi? I would think that the update they performed in late December was the latest update, but I’m willing to try again.
Please go into settings, General, system information, and let us know what firmware version you are running. Do you have navigation?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
iOS 13.3...
iOS 13 didn’t change anything significant for Bluetooth settings so previous iOS troubleshooting should still be applicable.
If deleting the Bluetooth device and re-pairing doesn’t help, try “reset network settings“ on your phone (settings>General>reset). Warning: you’ll have to reconnect to any WiFi networks and Bluetooth devices if you do that.
Finally if that doesn’t work, “erase all content and settings” on your phone is more time consuming but it gives you a fresh start and you can just restore everything from an iCloud backup or your computer.

·
Registered
163 Posts
What year Crosstrek? Also, since it does not happen with any other Bluetooth devices, that would suggest that the issue is iOS related, and not the head unit.

View attachment 3046
2018. I agree, it is most likely a phone issue. I listen to books via the Overdrive app by bluetooth and I don’t notice a skip. Not saying the head unit doesn’t have the problems though. I think each time I have an iOS update I loose all my presets for the unit. I’ve given up on that function.

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
2018. I agree, it is most likely a phone issue. I listen to books via the Overdrive app by bluetooth and I don’t notice a skip. Not saying the head unit doesn’t have the problems though. I think each time I have an iOS update I loose all my presets for the unit. I’ve given up on that function.
Presets loss was fixed many firmware updates ago. What is the firmware version of your head unit?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will check the firmware version and reply shortly. Yes, there is navigation.
Thanks to all for helping.
And BTW, my nephew had the make a wish foundation send him to snowboard in Colorado when he was a teenager, and had Leukemia. I went with him on that trip. Thanks for repping them. I’m happy to donate.

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
I will check the firmware version and reply shortly. Yes, there is navigation.
Thanks to all for helping.
And BTW, my nephew had the make a wish foundation send him to snowboard in Colorado when he was a teenager, and had Leukemia. I went with him on that trip. Thanks for repping them. I’m happy to donate.
Thanks so much!!! And glad I can do what little I can. Wish I could do more.
Software version Rel_UA.19.36.70
I am pretty sure they installed firmware for a different vehicle. But, since you have Nav, you can check yourself at this link. I suspect you will find that the version you should be on is:
  • Rel_UA.19.42.70 NAFTA
  • Maps: North America_2017.03_7181_28/12545/272294/19719
  • Publication date: 2019-12-17 12:08
You can install it yourself with a 16GB+ USB 3.x thumb drive, by following the instructions on the bottom of this page:
Let me know if you need help. I can walk you through wherever you're stuck.

·
Administrator
7,946 Posts
Check out the version numbers first. If it's wrong, I'd email or call your dealership and let them know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It’s funny because the maps have no numbers at all next to the word MAP
No info at all there besides North America

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh thank you so much. I am going to do this on Saturday. I will post the outcome.
I have been having the same issue with my 2020 Limited. I am on the most up to date ios release and have updated the car's firmware via USB. I went to the dealer and they did not have an answer. It is happening to me in any app over bluetooth. All the media I play is downloaded to my iPhone, not streamed.

I will be eager to hear if you find a fix to the skipping as it is quite annoying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Mac OS Catalina will not let me install the Map update Portal. Is says “Map Downloader Installer” can’t be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software.This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information. Anyone else have this problem?
Versions are:
Rel_UE.19.22.70
NA 2017.03_6401_28/1254/272294/16226
Which are different from the MY Subaru website.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts