Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loved the ascent when I first took it home. Brakes started squeaking after a couple hundred miles. At about 3000 miles the rotors were shot. Dealership said it was because the brake pads were on recall for all ascents because the pads were not made properly to accommodate for the weight of the vehicle. They replaced my pads and rotors and squeaking and grinding stopped. Said I would be notified when new pads were in and was told they had to put the “old” version of the pads in for now. This was all coming from the service manager.
A couple months later when I inquired about the new pads, I was told there was no recall or pad issue and they had no idea what I was talking about. Ok, first messup Subaru.
Another month later my radio power button broke. Radio kept powering on and off, even when car was turned off. First dealership said they couldn’t get me in for a month, second dealership looked at the car and said I need a new radio. Asked if they could manually power it off while I wait the 2 weeks for them to get the new one. I was told it couldn’t be turned off. Well, a few days later my car completely died, no doubt from the battery dying because they couldn’t power down the radio. Won’t jump start, waiting over 3 hours for their tow service to get it.
Needless to say I am so far completely disappointed in Subaru. Car is junk and their service is terrible.
Anyone else have similar issues??

·
Registered
419 Posts
A few questions:
  • What did your bill show? If the dealership did recall work, they certainly should state it on the bill. Did they charge you? If they did it under warranty, they would say it on the bill.
  • Do you have the service manager's name? Have you held him accountable, had a conversation with him?
  • On the radio, I'm having trouble understanding how a power button would cause the radio to turn on when the car is off. No key, no accessories mode? There should be no power to the radio under if the car is off. Yes, I can see a faulty button causing on/off with power supplied, and also resetting the console. But only with power supplied.

Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to understand what's happening.

F.S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The radio power button literally broke when I went to push it in to turn it on, like disconnected from the board. After that the radio was turning on and off by itself non stop, every few seconds. Dealership said they couldn’t manually power it down because it connects to too many other things, so I had to leave it the way it was until a new radio came in. When the car is off, the radio isn’t turning on but you can hear something else behind it shutting on and off every few seconds. No doubt this drained the battery. Now you would think a service technician would know this would happen but apparently not.
Bottom line is the car is poorly made, service is poor, and my experience has been poor.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Loved the ascent when I first took it home. Brakes started squeaking after a couple hundred miles. At about 3000 miles the rotors were shot. Dealership said it was because the brake pads were on recall for all ascents because the pads were not made properly to accommodate for the weight of the vehicle. They replaced my pads and rotors and squeaking and grinding stopped. Said I would be notified when new pads were in and was told they had to put the “old” version of the pads in for now. This was all coming from the service manager.
A couple months later when I inquired about the new pads, I was told there was no recall or pad issue and they had no idea what I was talking about. Ok, first messup Subaru.
Another month later my radio power button broke. Radio kept powering on and off, even when car was turned off. First dealership said they couldn’t get me in for a month, second dealership looked at the car and said I need a new radio. Asked if they could manually power it off while I wait the 2 weeks for them to get the new one. I was told it couldn’t be turned off. Well, a few days later my car completely died, no doubt from the battery dying because they couldn’t power down the radio. Won’t jump start, waiting over 3 hours for their tow service to get it.
Needless to say I am so far completely disappointed in Subaru. Car is junk and their service is terrible.
Statistically, all vehicle models will have some issues and some customers will be disappointed and upset. But to state the car is "junk" and "poorly made" is hyperbole and incorrect. To state that Subaru service is "terrible" based upon your own single experience is unfair. I understand that you're upset, but give them a fair chance to fix these problems and you may end up really liking it.

If you find your dealer is incompetent, take it to another dealer.

·
Registered
419 Posts
So what did the bill show (and the other questions above)? Radio issue is a puzzle, don't know what the additional on/off sound could be.
F.S.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Statistically, all vehicle models will have some issues and some customers will be disappointed and upset. But to state the car is "junk" and "poorly made" is hyperbole and incorrect. To state that Subaru service is "terrible" based upon your own single experience is unfair. I understand that you're upset, but give them a fair chance to fix these problems and you may end up really liking it.

If you find your dealer is incompetent, take it to another dealer.
No this is not an incorrect statement. I’ve been to different dealers already and I shouldn’t have too. The lack of incompetence and poor communication is unacceptable. And I think your comments would be different if you were stuck with a sick infant waiting for a tow truck for 5 hours from Subaru roadside after experience the former.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No this is not an incorrect statement. I’ve been to different dealers already and I shouldn’t have to. The lack of incompetence and poor communication is unacceptable. And I think your comments would be different if you were stuck with a sick infant waiting for a tow truck for 5 hours from Subaru roadside after experience the former.
You have your opinion but that doesn’t change my experience. Thanks for your useless input.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I always find posts like yours interesting, you come onto a forum with guns blazing. Most forums, you are going to find people that defend their product to their death and there are some threads on here like that. So far, you have been asked a few questions from folks taking time out of their day to help you and you have not yet taken time to answer these questions in order to try and get some assistance.

You have a right to your opinion and I will respect that, however I do agree with @pro10is that to state the vehicle is "junk" over a few issues is quite harsh. There are many companies that have had varies issues over time, what separates them is how they take care of it. Keep in mind that although you are having frustrations with the dealer service, to state that Subaru is messing up is not accurate. The dealerships are all independent businesses and there are good and bad.

Also try to understand that Subaru (and most manufacturers) source their components from other suppliers and manufacturers. Yes, they spec and choose the components. Your radio for instance is not a Subaru component. I am not overly familiar with the Ascent as I don't own one (yet), but on most vehicles there is a fuse dedicated to the radio. I believe simply pulling that fuse may have solved some issue until your new radio came in, granted you would not have a radio. That is one nice thing with the Ascent, that Subaru is going away from at least on the 2020 OB - is that your HVAC and other controls are all knobs and buttons. With radio challenges, you would just be without Stereo/Nav.

I can understand your frustration, especially with having to deal with this and an ill child at the same time. Sometimes life is unfair and throws challenges at us. But much like the dealership is rated on how they take care of you, you need to rate yourself on how you deal with the challenges. They can make you stronger or cause you to simply lose your ?. Coming on here as a new member, it is clear that you simply have just lost your :poop: and if you can take a step back and allow people to try and help you, you may find that this is not nearly as large of an issue, get your car fixed and fall in love with it all over again.

I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
418 Posts
It's unfortunate that your Subaru Ascent is having problems like this. Mine has been dang near perfect so far, and is definitely not junk. Radio button still attached and working fine (and doesn't seem like it will be breaking off any time in the ear future). Brake rotors and brake pads all working perfectly and seem to be the absolutely correct size and materials to stop my car with very little drama and so far no issues. My dealership is fantastic. You totally should have bought your Subaru Ascent from the same place I did. Mine is the exact opposite of junk.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's unfortunate that your Subaru Ascent is having problems like this. Mine has been dang near perfect so far, and is definitely not junk. Radio button still attached and working fine (and doesn't seem like it will be breaking off any time in the ear future). Brake rotors and brake pads all working perfectly and seem to be the absolutely correct size and materials to stop my car with very little drama and so far no issues. My dealership is fantastic. You totally should have bought your Subaru Ascent from the same place I did. Mine is the exact opposite of junk.
it is very unfortunate. Loved it when I first got it. Seems like I have one that was poorly made. Wish I had the same experience as you. So far though my experience with the vehicle and Subaru service has been unsatisfactory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
it is very unfortunate. Loved it when I first got it. Seems like I have one that was poorly made. Wish I had the same experience as you. So far though my experience with the vehicle and Subaru service has been unsatisfactory. Brakes that are completely shot after a couple thousand miles, a radio system that is completely broken on its own and then a car that won’t power on at all very disappointing. Then waiting literally 5 hours for roadside is unacceptable. Again wish my experience was better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I always find posts like yours interesting, you come onto a forum with guns blazing. Most forums, you are going to find people that defend their product to their death and there are some threads on here like that. So far, you have been asked a few questions from folks taking time out of their day to help you and you have not yet taken time to answer these questions in order to try and get some assistance.

You have a right to your opinion and I will respect that, however I do agree with @pro10is that to state the vehicle is "junk" over a few issues is quite harsh. There are many companies that have had varies issues over time, what separates them is how they take care of it. Keep in mind that although you are having frustrations with the dealer service, to state that Subaru is messing up is not accurate. The dealerships are all independent businesses and there are good and bad.

Also try to understand that Subaru (and most manufacturers) source their components from other suppliers and manufacturers. Yes, they spec and choose the components. Your radio for instance is not a Subaru component. I am not overly familiar with the Ascent as I don't own one (yet), but on most vehicles there is a fuse dedicated to the radio. I believe simply pulling that fuse may have solved some issue until your new radio came in, granted you would not have a radio. That is one nice thing with the Ascent, that Subaru is going away from at least on the 2020 OB - is that your HVAC and other controls are all knobs and buttons. With radio challenges, you would just be without Stereo/Nav.

I can understand your frustration, especially with having to deal with this and an ill child at the same time. Sometimes life is unfair and throws challenges at us. But much like the dealership is rated on how they take care of you, you need to rate yourself on how you deal with the challenges. They can make you stronger or cause you to simply lose your ?. Coming on here as a new member, it is clear that you simply have just lost your :poop: and if you can take a step back and allow people to try and help you, you may find that this is not nearly as large of an issue, get your car fixed and fall in love with it all over again.

I wish you the best of luck.
While I appreciate your comments on life lessons, I dont believe that folks taking time out of their days to comment should be spent criticizing mine. I’m glad that others have had a better experience, wish I could say the same. If I want to call my vehicle “junk” because it is, it’s my right to do so.
I am certainly open to helpful comments, but I don’t want to waste my time reading criticizing or useless input.
You may have a different view if you were in my shoes. I doubt you would find any of this acceptable if it happens to you.
Thank you and good day to you as well.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hey I'm just trying to understand your situation and failure modes (of car and service). Did you see the questions above?

Did the dealership deal with your drained battery, and determine how the power button was causing clicking / battery drain with the car off? That one has me very concerned if it's truly related to the radio console; and maybe equally concerned if it was not related and something else, but from your brief description you seem sure that it was related.

Please understand the others' perspectives. For someone new to come in with problems, drop a bomb on Junk, and answer only partially, it can sound like competitor trolling.

F.S.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I think if you can detail a little more clearly some of your issues people here would be more than happy to help out. You have to understand this is a Subaru forum, and there are a lot of loyale-ists ( pun intended) to the brand, many would never consider another brand, and therefore take some of your terminology personally.

And feel free to check any of my postings to see the issues I've had. I'm definitely not defending the car, but junk is a bit extreme. From trim pieces randomly falling off to dealership incompetence, I joke that my car was a Friday afternoon build.

My only suggestion regarding the dealership experience is to try to document everything with them, whether you have them correspond with you via email, or text messages, that way you have a record of everything. And make sure they summarized any issue that you've had on any receipts you get from them before you sign or accept anything. You have to be persistent but fair to the dealer (after all they're not clairvoyant), and if that doesn't work you need to bring it to the regional level.

Good luck with your issues and I hope things get resolved. I am thankful that none of my issues have left me stranded.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ascent_owner: The dealership I bought my Subaru Ascent really messed up and my cooling issue with my Ascent wasn't fixed like it should have been. I told them it was most likely the pressure valve switch on the Air-conditioning the guy looked at me like I was crazy, but my experience and out come has been just the opposite. The Dealer and Subaru had my back and finally fixed the air-conditioning problem by replacing the pressure valve switch and they appologized several times over and offered me a 100,000 and or 7 year Warranty on my vehicle. I was pleasantly surprised, and very happy to see they are standing behind their product. If you bought this new from the dealer and have had all of these issues, I would ask for a new car and or a extended Warranty. Frankly I think the new Ascent is built very well, but I have had my issues resolved quickly. To put it bluntly depending how many miles you have on your car, I would call Subaru of America and tell them you have had horrible experience with your dealer and ask them to fork over a Warranty or a new car or something to cover your cost & time because of the car issues! Who knows, you might have gotten a lemon, even good car companies get lemons sometimes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think the car is junk too. Bought a 2019 in January. Over the winter a few times it would have trouble starting, like turning over when I pushed on the start button. I figured it was the cold but it happened in the warmer weather. In May the car got stuck in Aux mode and would not turn on or turn off. Lights battery radio etc all on. Took it to the dealer and they couldn’t figure it out after having my car for 4 days. Even had Subaru of America on them. They thought I was nuts telling them i don’t feel safe driving that car. Nothing they can do apparently. I would like to crash it into a wall or set it on fire and get another car, not a Subaru. My first and last time dealing with them. Anyone have any of those issues?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sorry to hear you having problem. I’m new to Subaru and mine has closer to 3k miles. So far I have few issues.

1) radio reset it self, but it won’t do that again( I guess some sort of magic)
2) From coolant reservoir I can some spill on top.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have had some issues with the car, have had it since September 2018. Had to get SOA involved and since then, all is well. Should have waited until the 2020 came out but we didn’t. Had a manufacturing issue, fixed. Tranny issue, replaced. Car is sitting in the Oregon Lemon Law window now, based on issues and time spent in shop. SOA stepped up and we have maintenance free for 3 years and 45000 miles. Most of the delearships I feel didn’t get enough of the shop personnel trained up on the Ascent before it was released, just my Opinion.

·
Registered
59 Posts
My biggest issue with the 2019 Ascent is that the battery will die if you leave the hatch open for more than 4 hours. The parasitic drain on battery is 4 Ah! And there is no auto-shut down on it. The mothership stays live all the time waiting for your command! Once the battery dies, the hatch cannot be opened. I know this b/c my 2 dogs were locked in the back when I had just finished hunting training on a remote property and was alone. Subaru refuses to admit that this is a major engineering design flaw. How can one camp or tailgate or dog train if the battery dies after the hatch is open for a few hours??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts