Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the primary driver of our Ascent. My husband and I both have our phones and profiles set up in Pearl. When we are riding together, how does the system decide which phone to connect to? My phone was physically connected and running AA. It was also connected via BT, but the head unit kept dropping my phone and connecting with my husband's and vice versa. Obviously, when it dropped my BT connection, AA would start to act up. Any suggestions? I know the real answer is to never let my husband drive my car...but for now, I'll need a compromise.

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
Cumbersome...

I am the primary driver of our Ascent. My husband and I both have our phones and profiles set up in Pearl. When we are riding together, how does the system decide which phone to connect to? My phone was physically connected and running AA. It was also connected via BT, but the head unit kept dropping my phone and connecting with my husband's and vice versa. Obviously, when it dropped my BT connection, AA would start to act up. Any suggestions? I know the real answer is to never let my husband drive my car...but for now, I'll need a compromise.
I'm guessing buying him a bus pass isn't a valid compromise? Hmmm...

AFAIK, whichever bluetooth system is the most aggressive will connect. There's not much you can do about that. The phones will repeatedly see the head unit and try to connect, which, as you noticed, messes with AA. :sad:

There is a crazy workaround for two Android phones, but it's cumbersome to set up and requires third party software, which would monitor that

1. he's in the car
  2. his phone can see your phone
    • his phone doesn't try to connect via bluetooth
  3. his phone doesn't see your phone
    • his phone does try to connect via bluetooth
It's doable using something like AutoMagic or Tasker, but a PITA.

But, what I am sure of is that CarPlay gets priority, so, if he's got an iPhone, have him use one of the 2nd row USB ports, to prevent AA from being stopped.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I thought that the profile was chosen in priority order (the order in which they are configured within the radio settings). If this is not true, then what would be the point of being able to re-arrange the sequence of the BT profiles?

Out of curiosity, are you both using Android phones, or is there a mix of Android and Apple?

·
Administrator
11,959 Posts
I thought that the profile was chosen in priority order (the order in which they are configured within the radio settings). If this is not true, then what would be the point of being able to re-arrange the sequence of the BT profiles?

Out of curiosity, are you both using Android phones, or is there a mix of Android and Apple?
I figured something like the Driver Profile would do that... just assumed it wasn't working based on the post. Hmmm...

@SaffronRouge, I can test this, if you can't.

·
Registered
313 Posts

I thought the same thing and in practice so far the priority order in the Bluetooth paired phone list has been the preference when both our phones are present, even if mine is the one connected with AA. So for instance my wife's phone is the higher Bluetooth priority but my phone was connected to AA and her's still took the Bluetooth connection.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.