Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My Ascent has 1300 miles on it. When i purchased the vehicle, I was getting 13mpg, now I’m getting little over in city and on highways 18-19. Is this normal? Just wondering comparing to promised mpg.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Yes. Mpg will continue to improve if you continue to learn the throttle and turbo response and idle less (most people sit with the car on idling a lot when they first get it and are setting it up).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had mine since Friday and have put 250 miles on it so far. My typical commute is about 50 miles round drip per day with about 30% city/70% highway. I'm getting 22.8 mpg, but using ACC set to "comfort" (the one just above eco) as often as possible. I'm still getting used to trusting it to slow me down in traffic, so I turned it off for the last 1/2 of my highway travel this morning and still saw it go up by .1, but I really do attribute it to the ACC and the fact that it likes highway speeds. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hello,

My Ascent has 1300 miles on it. When i purchased the vehicle, I was getting 13mpg, now I’m getting little over in city and on highways 18-19. Is this normal? Just wondering comparing to promised mpg.
A little over 2800 miles, mix driving, MPG around 17.5, not very ideal, hopefully after first oil change, it will improve

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hello,

This is my initial post on gas milage in our Ascent -- we received our Ascent Limited early in April, so we have had it now for about 10 weeks and 3300 miles (about 40% city driving and 60% on highway). As noted above, the mpg (using the vehicle's computer reading) was poor (16 to 18 mpg in city driving) for the first two fill-ups, but there was quite a bit of idling while dealer and I were working to get Apple Car Play set up. Also first long trip, we only averaged 23 to 24 mpg.

Just returned from a 700 mile trip (interstate driving with ACC set usually between 75 and 78 mph) and got 27.4 mpg on the first fill-up and 29.4 mpg on the second fill-up which included a fair amount of bumper-to-bumper traffic congestion in Chicago. So it is good to report that our mileage seems to be improving now that we have several thousand miles on our Ascent. The overall mileage shows as 21.4 mpg for the 3300 miles. (Of course, driving style, number of passengers, temperature, summer or winter gasoline blends, the amount of ethanol in each fill-up of gasoline, etc. can have significant effects on mileage.)

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Just returned from another 180 mile round trip to pick up my wife from the airport in fairly heavy Sunday evening traffic on I94. The tires are not over inflated, just still hot from the highway?

Reactions: HeyChris

·
Registered
494 Posts
28.7!!! That's awesome! I got 25.x mpg on my last fill up and was already pretty happy. Been playing around with the cruise control on eco mode, and it definitely does a better job saving gas than me trying to control the throttle.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
28.7!!! That's awesome! I got 25.x mpg on my last fill up and was already pretty happy. Been playing around with the cruise control on eco mode, and it definitely does a better job saving gas than me trying to control the throttle.
I've been using Comfort mode most of the time, Eco is a bit too slow to accelerate for me when in traffic. This trip was all on ACC set to 73 MPH except for a few miles in heavy rain when Eyesight shut down and while in the pick-up line at the airport which took a bite out of the mileage.

25ish is really good, I've been getting in the 24-25 range also in mostly Urban driving.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hello,

28 MPG on 2500 mile roundtrip from Fayetteville, PA to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. 2020 Ascent with 6500 miles on it. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

With the OEM 20” wheels on the 2020 Ascent we bought in March- the MPG sucks. Period. And is nowhere near what Subaru rates it. Avg overall mpg is between 18/20 99% of the time. At worst, all city your looking at about 19 if you drive it easy. On purely HWY your looking at 25/26 maybe IF you stay at less the 70 mph and that’s a reach. At 60, you might maintain 27 with near zero stop and go. We have 9K on our vehicle. I complained to Subaru 2 mos after we bought and said what the hell? Had them evaluate, check the computers etc (because computer was staying 2 mpg over actual measurements of tank fill/versus actual mileage) They came up with BS of a break in period. What newer car has to be broken in achieve rated mpg? Right. None that I’ve owned which includes our 2019 Toyota Highlander that gets the exact mileage approx since we opened the box. Avg 27mpg since day 1 with best being 30 mpg. Here’s what we did: got rid of the 20” wheels which ride like s$&t and make the thing feel likes it’s going to bounce of the road and drift on long trips requiring steering correct, etc) The 18” wheels with 245/60/R18s rides smooth and has increase mpg to 2-3 miles/gal. It is now running on avg at 23mpg without a lot of stop and goes and no heavy accelerations. Switch out your wheels.

2ND ISSUE: for anyone interested- The eyesight system is NOT an all weather system, and contrary to what Subaru or a dealer tells you, it WILL cut out on you when you need it most: RAIN at NIGHT or heavy rain in the DAY. Why? Because the engineers did not create a redundant system shooting radar that continues to operate when the 2 binocular “EYE” cameras inside your windshield become blinded- and they will. This can also occur at times if driving directly into a setting sun— again, exactly when you need it .

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
2ND ISSUE: for anyone interested- The eyesight system is NOT an all weather system, and contrary to what Subaru or a dealer tells you, it WILL cut out on you when you need it most: RAIN at NIGHT or heavy rain in the DAY
That it shuts off is exactly what Subaru tells you. Repeatedly. I know there's a lot of them, but I suggest you familiarize yourself with the manual.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That it shuts off is exactly what Subaru tells you. Repeatedly. I know there's a lot of them, but I suggest you familiarize yourself with the manual.

View attachment 5328
Inferior design Robert. As we all know, Factually the dealer underpresented this when asked exactly what does this mean. Believe me, I’ve read the entire manual as well as researched this vehicle before we bought. They stated “rarely” but that Subaru must declare to cover themselves as it could fail and then reset itself.

Bottom line, decent vehicle but Subaru has downplayed its deficits. We will most likely sell at end of year.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Inferior design Robert.
I disagree, and I'm crossing 64,000 miles on next weekend's road trip. I'm baffled that you've had the experiences you've had. Regardless, Eyesight is the system to beat, and it does extremely well in IIHS testing against everyone else.

Believe me, I’ve read the entire manual as well as researched this vehicle before we bought
As you've read the entire manual, I am not sure why you previously stated that:
  • The eyesight system is NOT an all weather system, and contrary to what Subaru or a dealer tells you,
It's exactly what Subaru tells you. If the dealer told you otherwise, I'd write or call Subaru.

I am hoping you enjoy your next car more than you're enjoying the Ascent.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I disagree, and I'm crossing 64,000 miles on next weekend's road trip. I'm baffled that you've had the experiences you've had. Regardless, Eyesight is the system to beat, and it does extremely well in IIHS testing against everyone else.

As you've read the entire manual, I am not sure why you previously stated that:
  • The eyesight system is NOT an all weather system, and contrary to what Subaru or a dealer tells you,
It's exactly what Subaru tells you. If the dealer told you otherwise, I'd write or call Subaru.

I am hoping you enjoy your next car more than you're enjoying the Ascent.
It’s ok to disagree Robert. I’m glad you’re happy with the system as it is. Let me clarify: we saw that information and ASKED the dealer and Subaru aand that’s exactlt what they told us. Factual answer wound have been- if there is water, on that windshield, especially heavy rain AND it’s nighttime, there is a very good chance it will turn off and remain inoperable thru the entire weather event. it is an inferior system compared to direct ranging radar. That’s the point I’m making.

Also for anyone following the same issue can occur with the back up camera system during rain events. We have never had either occur with our Highlander no matter how hard the rain, degree of darkness or field of view variable.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Direct ranging radar systems have problems with even figuring out what things are. Heavy downpours confuse the heck out of them as well, as does thick fog (like here in the fall, or in Seattle). Tesla is going with cameras for primary detection because of that. Heck, it can't even keep up in regular driving.

Lidar will change things considerably - when the costs go down.

This isn't disagreement. If Subaru told you that, please, show us where, since, they have the opposite in writing. If the dealer told you that, report them.

I've driven through blizzards with it, I've driven in downpours with it. I don't use Rain-X, and I didn't get my windshield coated, and it works well. It rarely shuts off.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Also for anyone following the same issue can occur with the back up camera system during rain events. We have never had either occur with our Highlander no matter how hard the rain, degree of darkness or field of view variable.
The back up (driving in reverse) system is sonar and radar.
  • Reverse Automatic Braking: SONAR
  • Blind Spot/Cross Traffic Detection: RADAR
The Camera is for the human. The car does not use it for any reverse function.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.