Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The car has 1700 miles on it. In town MPG has been right at 18. Highway (70mph) has shown a high point of 23.5. I was driving yesterday and set the cruise on 75 and literally watched the MPG gauge drop from 23.5 to 21.5 in about 5 miles (130 miles into the tank, so it was established). I'm referring to the tank mpg, not instant. That only reads above 20 on a downhill. So far, the DTE has shown 400 miles once when full, but to be honest, we haven't been able to get past 360 miles on a tank, in mostly highway driving. No drivers in the household have driven aggressively--to my knowledge, the engine has rarely been above 3,000 rpms as there are only 2 adult drivers and both are knowledgeable about the break-in period. I know new engines are tight, but I would have expected to see the mileage start to creep up by now. In fairness, I have seen the mileage go up maybe 1mpg overall.

I was looking at the RPM's at 70mph the other day and they were at 2300. I thought this was high so I hit the paddle shifter and the rpm's dropped to 18-1900 for a second then bounced back up... This is unloaded on a flat road with 2 people in the car and 1/2 tank.

At what point did you see the mpg increase? At this point, I can't imagine seeing 26-27 as is reported here sometimes.

·
Administrator
11,133 Posts
At maybe 6,000 miles... The pedal is really sensitive. NOWADAYS, I don't have any of the problems anyone else has of dead zones in the pedal, it surging forward, or gas mileage, but, I had the benefit of reading literally every post in the forums when the Ascent came out (nowadays, the forum is too big for me to do that), so, I learned what was working and what wasn't, and played around until I learned how to make my Ascent comfortable and fuel efficient to drive.

Now, I drive for fun, and eat gas. But, every now and then, even with my very heavy BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 Light Truck tires, I decide to do a run of good gas mileage, just to prove it can be done, even at my higher mileage on my overdue-for-a-change spark plugs.

Here's my most recent test (attempt at EPA ratings):

·
Registered
791 Posts
This has been discussed often in the forum. I ( and others, you are not necessarily an outlier with your mpg) had it worse than you for about 8-9k, it was frustrating. Now at ~14k I'm at about 20.3mpg overall in a 50/50 hwy/city driving split. I was in the mid teens for the first year, and like you, struggled to get low 20's on the hwy. Hopefully, like happened with me, it will just start to get better as you put more miles on the car.

Also, when I switched from the OE tires to an aftermarket tire, my mileage improved ( as did Wet and dry traction, and handling)

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
I’m around 3000kms and getting 20mpg in almost completely city driving now that it’s winter. But as it gets colder that number will worsen as warm up time increases.
Coming from my ‘07 Ridgeline this is about a 4-5mpg increase for a similarly powered and weight vehicle so I’m happy with that.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I'm at 15k and my mileage still sucks. Sigh. We drove to california from colorado, and I maxed out at 25mpg. City it just suckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkks.
That's basically it in a nutshell. The Ascent is capable of pretty dang good MPG on the open road but anything that resembles stop and go driving wll get you well below 20 MPG. The image above showing 29.5mpg with 420 miles of range is definitley possible, but not the norm for the majority (This is not a knock on Ey31 - congrats on that MPG!). I can achieve that temporarily but it's hard to keep up for a full tank as a lot of stop and go gets averaged in over a few hundred miles. I'm off for the Holidays and I'm currently at 18.8 with suburban driving in sunny weather. The Ascent simply has a fairly wide range of fuel efficiency. This is what small displacement turbo engines yield in in the real world when pulling around 5000lbs +/-. I think a normally aspirated 6 cylinder probably does better in "city" driving. But you don't get the same kind of shove as the 2.4T. That comes at a cost. Physics is physics.

That being said, I got 23.7 once driving from Los Angeles to San Diego. That included pre-COVID horrible traffic on The 405 (or it could have been The 5). That's I-405 and I-5 respectively to non Californians. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
927 Posts
It's a trade off.

It's over a 2 ton vehicle.

It has great low end torque which is awesome for towing and for daily driving (getting off the line, passing/etc). You don't have to rev it to hell to get the power.

The turbo kicks in so quickly that you don't even know it's a turbo car. My 2009 WRX would kick you in the ass when you hit 4k RPM. Before that it was closer to a standard Impreza. To get the fastest start from a full stop, you had to rev up and dump the clutch at 4k rpm to get up into turbo range ASAP. The Ascent is nothing like that. But because of that, the turbo is "ON" in normal driving conditions. If I babied my Impreza and stayed under 3k rpm, I could get gas mileage close to a standard Impreza. Of course I rarely did that :D

The Ascent is different too as it drives like a car, not a truck. It's a really big "car", but with the handling it doesn't feel like it. I can carve up mountain roads. Heck I almost took it on the race track when I had a problem with my race prepped Mustang. If I hadn't just put on the Nitto off road tires, I would have!

When I rented a Suburban it felt like driving my GMC 2500 truck. I also was getting 13mpg too.

Others in the class get slightly better gas mileage. I'd counter that you also give up some of the drivability too. To me it's well worth the minimal cost.

If you really want the most efficient 7 passenger vehicle, get a Tesla Model Y!

Reactions: Andrei Ukraine

·
Registered
2020 Ascent, 2011 WRX, 2009 Outback
667 Posts
Yea, it's hard to accept given all the other Subaru's out there with much better MPG. On the flip side, tons of features, safety and AWD for a very reasonable price.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Did a 210 mile R/T today (about 195 miles Interstate; 15 miles city surface roads). Sunny and low 40s at start; reached upper 40s on return. Dry pavement throughout. No wind. Traffic flowed well most of the way except on the return when a 3-vehicle crash on I-95 led to a dead stop that lasted 45 minutes. Kept my speed between 60 and 65 MPH on all highway segments.

Overall MPG? Right at 32.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I'm at 30K miles and i've been averaging 19-20mpg. The MPG is a bit annoying since my 300K miles 2000 4runner was averaging 18-19mpg for the 16yrs I had it (bought it used).

I think a H6 direct injected N/A motor would've done better for many people.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That's basically it in a nutshell. The Ascent is capable of pretty dang good MPG on the open road but anything that resembles stop and go driving wll get you well below 20 MPG. The image above showing 29.5mpg with 420 miles of range is definitley possible, but not the norm for the majority (This is not a knock on Ey31 - congrats on that MPG!). I can achieve that temporarily but it's hard to keep up for a full tank as a lot of stop and go gets averaged in over a few hundred miles. I'm off for the Holidays and I'm currently at 18.8 with suburban driving in sunny weather. The Ascent simply has a fairly wide range of fuel efficiency. This is what small displacement turbo engines yield in in the real world when pulling around 5000lbs +/-. I think a normally aspirated 6 cylinder probably does better in "city" driving. But you don't get the same kind of shove as the 2.4T. That comes at a cost. Physics is physics.

That being said, I got 23.7 once driving from Los Angeles to San Diego. That included pre-COVID horrible traffic on The 405 (or it could have been The 5). That's I-405 and I-5 respectively to non Californians. :ROFLMAO:
Or the 405 parking lot. I'm very familiar! 😂

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
429 Posts
We're at about 4800 miles on our Ascent (bought in Sept) and it seems to be a pretty consistent 17mpg for us in around town driving. I'm definitely disappointed in that, for my old '82 GL wagon and my old '95 Outback both got at least 20 in the city. I know it's a much bigger, heavier vehicle, but I would think that 25+ years of leaps and bounds in technology and knowledge could balance that out enough to where the Ascent could at least match their 20mpg. Oh well, it's one of my only real complaints about this absolutely wonderful vehicle, so I guess I can learn to live with it. (don't really have a good idea yet re: highway mileage as we've been pretty much city bound the past few months. Can't wait to really get out on the open road and finally cruise in this thing!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did a 210 mile R/T today (about 195 miles Interstate; 15 miles city surface roads). Sunny and low 40s at start; reached upper 40s on return. Dry pavement throughout. No wind. Traffic flowed well most of the way except on the return when a 3-vehicle crash on I-95 led to a dead stop that lasted 45 minutes. Kept my speed between 60 and 65 MPH on all highway segments.

Overall MPG? Right at 32.
That's some discipline. No way I could drive 60-65 on an interstate setting. I'll take my 20mpg I guess to keep from losing my mind!

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,231 Posts
I drive the limit, too, and get good fuel economy. Here in the east, that's either 65 or 70, depending on where you are.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Well, I'm happier with my mileage now, but it's still a mixed bag. Seems like due to the size of the vehicle (and maybe other factors?) this beast really hates stop and go traffic and definitely seems to need a nice hearty gulp of gas to get back up to speed from a stop. And since I live in downtown, there's a LOT of stop and go driving in my day to day. So mileage there is just poor. But in more mixed driving, I'm finally getting better numbers, usually in the 20 - 23mpg range, depending on how "mixed" the driving, and I think resetting the acc to eco has helped, as I've been using it a lot more in around town driving, like a 15 min stretch of driving 45mph out to the suburbs, etc. Anyway, very pleased to be getting better numbers now. But the even better news is that we just had one of our first decent bits of pure highway driving (only 80 miles or so, but still nice to get out of town for a bit. Anyway, we averaged 29mpg for that little trip! I was expecting somewhere in the 25-27 range at best, so I'm super happy about this!

·
Registered
2020 Ascent
196 Posts
Now that it’s been winter here for a while now, (although a mild one so far) I’ve definitely noticed a mileage drop but that’s to be expected.
Between warming up a bit and she likes to stay in higher rpm range for most of my short drive, it’s still better than the similarly weight and powered Ridgeline, (which was not a gas pig) I traded in so I’m happy.
I just keep thinking about when I bought the Ridgeline, all the folks on the forum were up in arms over the “poor” mileage. But these folks were mostly coming from Accords and could not understand why the “same” 3.5l engine got so much lower mpg! These are large and fairly heavy vehicles, that means more fuel. There’s no way around that. Sure you can go hybrid to burn less gas with some brands but it’s still more energy required to move the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
We just spent some time in Joshua Tree. Here is further evidence on the wide range of MPG outcome for the Ascent:

After fill-up 1: Trip up to JT from San Diego - as high as 24, but settled on 22 when we arrived
After fill-up 2: Same speeds coming back down to sea level from approx 2700' - 27
currenty: same tank of gas but visited my parents, picked up food, etc - 24

Lifetime average: 20.2
Suburban driving: 13-18 (this is what people seem to complain about)
One-way commute in light traffic (no high speeds) to work after fillup: 28 (witnessed multiple times)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yeah, mine varies a lot too. Now that I've had it long enough to really notice and keep track of the trends, it seems like if I'm in town with a lot of stop and go driving, then about 17mpg or so, sometimes even worse, strictly highway driving I've gotten about 29mpg, at least on one drive, and for a long road I drive a couple of times a week, 26miles round trip w/ occasional lights and a few ups and downs, speed limit 40-45, I get anywhere from 22-25mpg depending on traffic and how many lights I do or don't hit. I feel like my old Outback was a lot more consistent, 20ish mpg around town, and about 27-30mpg on the highway. I am assuming it being such a heavy car is what makes the stop and go mpg so dang low, but I'm definitely happy with the cruising along mileage.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts