Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading at some reviews, looks like we lose 1 mpg by going to 20" low profile tires.
While I prefer the 18" wheels for the xtra rubber to give comfort, it is difficult to find such cars in 8 seats.
Also, if I want sunroof, I will have to take 20" wheels.

Is the mpg and 0-60 ( 6.9 vs 7.3 sec) difference only due to tires or trim levels also play a role?

==
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/suba...t-test-review/

In our acceleration testing, the Premium hit 60 mph in 6.9 seconds and ran the quarter mile in 15.5 seconds at 90.9 mph. The Touring, however, posted a 0-60 mph time of 7.3 seconds and a quarter-mile time of 15.8 seconds at 89.2 mph

·
Registered
411 Posts
It has something to with the wheels but also the weight:

Base: 4430
Premium: 4451
Limited: 4515
Touring: 4603
It's all down to the weight as Jason mentioned. Heavier car = worse MPG. Also with the 20's have more mass/weight and will take more to roll them compared to the 18's.
I bet that OP could find someone who wants the 20's and swap them! Or just go for a 7.5x5.114.3 50mm offset and be done with it.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Or the 4,608 pound Limited Package.

It has something to with the wheels but also the weight:

Base: 4430
Premium: 4451
Limited: 4515
Touring: 4603
It's all down to the weight as Jason mentioned. Heavier car = worse MPG. Also with the 20's have more mass/weight and will take more to roll them compared to the 18's.
I bet that OP could find someone who wants the 20's and swap them! Or just go for a 7.5x5.114.3 50mm offset and be done with it.
And, FYI for some of you Limited owners. The heaviest "stock" trim is not the Touring. It's one of the Limited Packages at 4,608 pounds. :tango_face_wink: Short version is, the Limited and Touring are pretty heavy.

But yeah, that added rolling resistance from the bigger chunk of aluminum (instead of the bigger air volume) also hurts.

For those into minutia, it's the 8 passenger Package 23 Limited that's the heaviest Subaru Ascent at 4,608 pounds, followed by the Touring at 4,603 pounds, followed by the 7 passenger Package 23 Limited at 4,592.

I think I need a better hobby, lol!

·
Registered
411 Posts
And, FYI for some of you Limited owners. The heaviest "stock" trim is not the Touring. It's one of the Limited Packages at 4,608 pounds. :tango_face_wink: Short version is, the Limited and Touring are pretty heavy.

But yeah, that added rolling resistance from the bigger chunk of aluminum (instead of the bigger air volume) also hurts.

For those into minutia, it's the 8 passenger Package 23 Limited that's the heaviest Subaru Ascent at 4,608 pounds, followed by the Touring at 4,603 pounds, followed by the 7 passenger Package 23 Limited at 4,592.

I think I need a better hobby, lol!
Ah, a numbers guy lol.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
913 Posts
Back when I had a little pocket rocket type car I had an in-car dyno. Enter the weight, do a few acceleration runs and it would give you both hp and torque curves for the "to the wheels" numbers. I put 120lbs in the trunk and then did another run. The numbers were 5hp lower (as I didn't adjust the weight).

Put 8 people in it and see how slow it feels compared to just you!

Heavy wheels are even worse as it's a lot of mass to get rotating every time you start (and conversely more mass to slow down when you stop, so harder on the brakes). The only reason for 20" wheels on the Ascent is for the looks. Less sidewall is mainly good for sports cars where the decreased lateral flex translates into higher cornering grip. But the past 10-15 years the style has changed so people like the look alone.

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
8 Posts
i stopped into a dealership today and test drove one. Im getting one once they get more on the lot and the buyers have a little more power on price negotiation. theyve really done a nice job on this car. the Gm was pretty good and said this car was right on the cusp of 26 or 27 mpg hwy. the premium with the 20" wheels still gets 27 hwy on the sticker. he said EPA rounds to the nearest full mpg and the base and premium with just over 26.5 while the limited & touring were just above it. he said the epa just tests base trims without options so the premium with 20" wheels probably does get closed to 26 hwy, but the sticker doesnt reflect that. other option..seat heaters, power liftgate, etc would all come into play by adding weight on the higher trims.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I suspect the MPG difference is mostly due to weight, not tire/wheel size. I'll find out sometime during the next few months since I just ordered 18" wheels and snow tires for my Touring. Then again, how you drive and driving conditions can make more than 1 MPG difference. I'll let you know how it worked out next spring!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Yup, as we've established in the other threads, it's more about how you drive.

Someone that's using cruise control on a flat highway at 55-60 mph driving alone is going to have considerably better fuel economy than someone that's got 6 people + cargo in the car, at 75 mph on that same highway.

·
Banned
71 Posts
I’m confused about tire size and odometer when the tire size changes is that entered into the vehicles computer to adjust for the distance of travel per revolution difference?

·
Registered
932 Posts
It has everything to do with the circumference... of the tire. This is why with an AWD car, if you lose a tire, you need to either have it shaved to the length of the other three (if they're more than I think 2/32nds different) or, you have to replace all the tires.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I’m confused about tire size and odometer when the tire size changes is that entered into the vehicles computer to adjust for the distance of travel per revolution difference?
The total circumference of the outside of the tire is same for all models. Its the actual rim that is 18" vs 20". With the Limited you have more metal and less rubber when compared to the base and premium that have more rubber and less metal than the Limited and Touring.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I feel like they designed the wheels for aero too. Large surface area to smooth airflow.

On the Prius forums many reported seeing a 1-2 mpg drop when they removed the hubcaps because the oem wheels (2012-up) were black and it was an easy free way to change up the look.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm looking suspiciously at the wheels on my Touring. I didn't notice the MPG difference when I ordered the car. I just clicked the options I wanted and the Touring had the best price for the package combination.

I find it difficult to beleive that 200# extra weight in a ~4400# car can make a 5%-10% difference in MPG.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm looking suspiciously at the wheels on my Touring. I didn't notice the MPG difference when I ordered the car. I just clicked the options I wanted and the Touring had the best price for the package combination.

I find it difficult to beleive that 200# extra weight in a ~4400# car can make a 5%-10% difference in MPG.
It's different than adding a 200# passenger, where it might not be noticed. Adding 200# to the wheels is a lot rotational inertia to overcome.

Roughly speaking, put a 200# man on a skateboard and push - easy. Put that man on a rotisserrie and give him a spin - probably takes more work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts