Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need brake controller mounting ideas or photos of where you guys mounted yours. Thank you for the assist. I have a Primus IQ from Tekonsha.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
357 Posts
I mounted my Tekonsha Prodigy 3 on the fuse compartment cover by my left knee. The dealership sold me an extra one for a little less than $5, which is the one I mounted the controller's bracket on, then when I tow I swap out the stock one with the one with the bracket mounted on it, pop in the brake controller, hook up the harness I keep coiled about three inches away behind the lower edge of the dash, and I'm ready to tow. Worked fine for over 5,000 towing miles last year.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also used the fuse panel cover for our Prodigy 3 (similar form factor to your Primus IQ). I was a little worried it'd be too heavy for the fuse panel cover, but it has held up fine over a couple thousand miles of mountain and some dirt road towing. Easy access to the manual trailer brake lever, although haven't needed it.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your suggestions. I am going to the dealer in the morning and getting a fuse cover. 2 more questions. Did your factory installed hitch come with the Tongue? Also since we cannot use a Weight Distribution Hitch, has sway been an issue. I have a KZ Classic 180BH. It does have trailer brakes of course.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
357 Posts
I tow a Jayco Jayflight SLX7 154BH Baja Edition. The ball hitch that comes with the OEM hitch has a 6" drop, perfect for many trailers that need a ball at around 18", but my trailer sits too high for that so I bought one with a 2" drop and a 7.5" long shank to ensure the tailgate would clear the jack handle when opening and closing. With a 2" drop the trailer sits with just a slight nose-down attitude and pulls great with sway never being an issue, but I load as much as I can behind the single axle and keep the tongue weight to around 365lbs.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,858 Posts
Previous discussion in the Towing forum area will also be helpful to you

Reactions: xydadx3

·
Registered
30 Posts
I mounted my Tekonsha Prodigy 3 on the fuse compartment cover by my left knee. The dealership sold me an extra one for a little less than $5, which is the one I mounted the controller's bracket on, then when I tow I swap out the stock one with the one with the bracket mounted on it, pop in the brake controller, hook up the harness I keep coiled about three inches away behind the lower edge of the dash, and I'm ready to tow. Worked fine for over 5,000 towing miles last year.
PHOTOS please?

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
357 Posts
PHOTOS please?
Here are two photos. The first is with the brake controller mounted on the fuse compartment cover and ready for use. I place an eight inch or so piece of blue painter's tape across the top edge of the cover as added insurance that should the car hit a significant bump in the road that the cover, with the brake controller mounted, doesn't accidentally pop open, something it's never done, but it makes me feel better. The second photo merely shows my two covers side by side.

Attachments

·
Registered
793 Posts
Yeah. The controller has accelerometers and senses deceleration so if it comes loose and changed orientation or falls off it can actuate the brakes or otherwise mess up braking.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts