Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for anybody who uses a magnetic-based portable CB antenna, specifically, any advice you can offer on running the coax from the antenna to the CB radio inside. I have absolutely no desire to mount a permanent antenna, whether drilling through the roof or trying to configure some kind of fender mount, as my use of the CB will only be occasional. Matter of fact, I'll probably just place the unit on the front passenger seat using a 12V cigarette plug for power as I will also be using this CB in my travel trailer with a separate Firestick NGP antenna mounted on its roof. My intent is to place the Wilson magnetic-based antenna in the center of the roof for the best ground plane, but options for running the coax inside are limited to either through a slightly open window, which I'm leaning toward, or through a door seal, though feeling these gaskets reveals a pretty tight fit that I'm concerned will pinch the coax and damage it, not to mention creating a place for water to come in (as will a slightly open window). Another concern is slack in the coax at speed rubbing against the car's roof finish. Is their a solution some forum member has found that is not one of these two? Thanks for any responses.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
Looking for anybody who uses a magnetic-based portable CB antenna, specifically, any advice you can offer on running the coax from the antenna to the CB radio inside. I have absolutely no desire to mount a permanent antenna, whether drilling through the roof or trying to configure some kind of fender mount, as my use of the CB will only be occasional. Matter of fact, I'll probably just place the unit on the front passenger seat using a 12V cigarette plug for power as I will also be using this CB in my travel trailer with a separate Firestick NGP antenna mounted on its roof. My intent is to place the Wilson magnetic-based antenna in the center of the roof for the best ground plane, but options for running the coax inside are limited to either through a slightly open window, which I'm leaning toward, or through a door seal, though feeling these gaskets reveals a pretty tight fit that I'm concerned will pinch the coax and damage it, not to mention creating a place for water to come in (as will a slightly open window). Another concern is slack in the coax at speed rubbing against the car's roof finish. Is their a solution some forum member has found that is not one of these two? Thanks for any responses.
I do this. Let me take a quick video for you.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts

Hope it helps.

·
Administrator
11,124 Posts
Thanks Robert, that is very helpful. BTW, just what is "gap tape?"
Gaffer's tape or gaff tape. It's what we use on film sets because it comes off leaving very little residue and is more gentle on paint that duct tape.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Good video. this is almost exactly how I mounted my VHF/UHF mag mount antenna on my 2018 Outback that Im going to transfer to my new 2021 Ascent. My antenna is a real low profile stubby antenna that really doesn't stick up much taller than the side rails. I run that one so I can park in a garage and not worry about banging or folding the antenna.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts