Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

Finally got around to testing the trailer harness wiring on our Ascent Premium (the Subaru OEM hitch/wiring). Haven't had an opportunity to tow with it yet. Found the Brake controller plug, got the custom wiring harness that etrailer now offers, that was all easy.

Tested the 7-pin with multiple trailer emulators and found:

12 volt center pin- works great
Brakes - works great

Left turn signal/brake light - works great
Right turn signal/brake light - does not work
Running lights - none work

The 4-pin connector behaves the same, only the left turn signal works.

I'll double check hooking up to our actual travel trailer this weekend, but these trailer emulator testers worked great on our Forester for checking the wiring.

Looking at the installation directions, it looks like the trailer wiring harness plugs in underneath the cargo area. Any tricks for lifting the cargo tray up to take a look? I couldn't immediately figure it out last night, or I wasn't pulling on it hard enough.

Any other tips for what to check? I scheduled an appointment with our dealer, but they are booked out to the 24th and we have a trip planned shortly after that. A little worried they'll need to order a potentially hard to find trailer wiring harness...or worse.

Thanks!

·
Registered
978 Posts
As for trailer I have simply added a ground all the way around to each light. The grounds at each light fixture are a constant issue.

·
Administrator
11,401 Posts
One other owner had a similar problem. It turned out a wire in one of the harnesses wasn't connected properly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
One other owner had a similar problem. It turned out a wire in one of the harnesses wasn't connected properly.

Ah, hoping that is the problem (and seems likely) since any easy fix once tracked down. Since it is under warranty I'll let the dealer the handle it.

I did hook it up to my travel trailer today, behaved exactly the same as the trailer emulators. Will report back once sorted out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just to close this out, the dealer found the trailer module was bad (underneath the cargo area). Voltage was coming into it, but not out of it for the non-working lights. They special ordered the part, had it shipped overnight, and we're now up and running with all trailer lights + brake controller working. All set for our first trip of the season (and first in the Ascent) with our travel trailer next weekend!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just to close this out, the dealer found the trailer module was bad (underneath the cargo area). Voltage was coming into it, but not out of it for the non-working lights. They special ordered the part, had it shipped overnight, and we're now up and running with all trailer lights + brake controller working. All set for our first trip of the season (and first in the Ascent) with our travel trailer next weekend!
Very ticked at my dealership. After reading other owners experiences; I am convinced my issues are related to the harness or Trailer module. I stated this when I called to set an appointment. I take it in today and the tech makes a video of him testing the connector and tells me all is well and working. The man did not know how to read his meter and that set me off. Neither the 7 or 4 pin is working and I have to pull a trailer this Sunday. Not cool when the tech knows less than the customer. I asked them to pull a module of a new car off the lot and put it mind, let the new car wait on a replacement. Oh no, they have to have the car over the weekend and contact tech support. I am not a happy customer tonight!!! :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts