Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So similar to many other posters fighting tongue weight I am looking at purchasing an Intech Sol Horizon that has a GVWR of 4000lbs, a dry weight of 3200lbs but interestingly a tongue weight of about 450 lbs dry. The storage areas as well as the fresh water tank all reside behind the axle. With this in mind I feel like I can easily control the loaded tongue weight for travel. This would be our 3rd camper so I am pretty skilled at this point in light loading and adjusting as needed.
It runs a single propane tank which I was going to switch out for a composite tank to save on weight.

I guess what I am looking for is either confirmation in my thought process or reason that I should look elsewhere.
I am not a fan of the traditional stick built campers as we just sold our 16' Scamp to upgrade to something a bit bigger. The run of the mill brands do not appeal to us.

Any input or thoughts are greatly appreciated from this great forum.

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
1,108 Posts
Nice trailer. Looks like the massive panoramic windshield is a major factor in the tongue weight. The spec sheets say it's 465-495 which is going to make keeping it under 500 a challenge. Do they offer a rear receiver hitch? I'd start there if you plan on bringing bicycles that could cut 70-80 off the tongue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice trailer. Looks like the massive panoramic windshield is a major factor in the tongue weight. The spec sheets say it's 465-495 which is going to make keeping it under 500 a challenge. Do they offer a rear receiver hitch? I'd start there if you plan on bringing bicycles that could cut 70-80 off the tongue.
Titanrx8
It does come with a receiver hitch which we would regularly use for 2 bikes. It would easily add about 85lbs to the back of the trailer.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What's the hold tank size (Fresh, Gray, Black). At 8.6lbs per gallon, that's going to eat up a lot of weight quickly. It will help to balance, but also cut into your total weight. 50 gallons of water in a clean tank is 430lbs. That adds 13% to your total weight right there. I'm sure grey and black tanks would be empty when traveling, so not much of a concern. Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What's the hold tank size (Fresh, Gray, Black). At 8.6lbs per gallon, that's going to eat up a lot of weight quickly. It will help to balance, but also cut into your total weight. 50 gallons of water in a clean tank is 430lbs. That adds 13% to your total weight right there. I'm sure grey and black tanks would be empty when traveling, so not much of a concern. Good luck.
The fresh water tank is 28 gallons and the black/grey is 32. The black/grey is located above the axle but would be empty while traveling.
My thought is with the bike rack on back and even a few gallons in the fresh water tank I can reduce the tongue weight enough.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
With the typical trailers it's too easy to add to tongue weight than to subtract from it based on where the tanks, accessories and storage is, but it sounds to me like you have loading distribution vs tongue weight figured out. There's no reason not to go for it if you're confident you can get and keep the tongue weight within appropriate limits.

·
Registered
88 Posts
This was their response when I asked about the tongue weight of the Discover being 525 lbs.

“Thank you for reaching out! 525Lbs is the weight before loading. We design our toy haulers with a heavy tongue weight because once you load equipment you will end up with a lot of weight behind the axle and it will often lighten the overall tongue weight.”

Seems reasonable, but wouldn’t the idea of having too much weight in the back to lessen the tongue weight also be a hazard?

The Discover has a dry weight of 2460-2750. Say you add 750 lbs of cargo. Your looking at 3500 lbs max. Tongue weight should be 350 lbs for 10%. How would you lessen the tongue weight 175 lbs without putting too much weight in the back? I only ask because this model seems like the perfect camper/hailer for the Ascent, except the tongue weight.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This was their response when I asked about the tongue weight of the Discover being 525 lbs.

“Thank you for reaching out! 525Lbs is the weight before loading. We design our toy haulers with a heavy tongue weight because once you load equipment you will end up with a lot of weight behind the axle and it will often lighten the overall tongue weight.”

Seems reasonable, but wouldn’t the idea of having too much weight in the back to lessen the tongue weight also be a hazard?

The Discover has a dry weight of 2460-2750. Say you add 750 lbs of cargo. Your looking at 3500 lbs max. Tongue weight should be 350 lbs for 10%. How would you lessen the tongue weight 175 lbs without putting too much weight in the back? I only ask because this model seems like the perfect camper/hailer for the Ascent, except the tongue weight.
I think their thought is if they start with a heavy tongue weight the chances of a large sway issue would be minimized. Since that camper is a toy hauler I think they plan for people putting quads or motorcycles etc. in there. I think you could lessen the tongue weight pretty quickly with a load such as that.
Its the same idea with the Sol Horizon. All the storage and water tanks live behind the axle. There is no real storage up front so they know people will be adding weight quickly to the back offsetting the TW. Actually is good planning on their part.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think their thought is if they start with a heavy tongue weight the chances of a large sway issue would be minimized. Since that camper is a toy hauler I think they plan for people putting quads or motorcycles etc. in there. I think you could lessen the tongue weight pretty quickly with a load such as that.
Its the same idea with the Sol Horizon. All the storage and water tanks live behind the axle. There is no real storage up front so they know people will be adding weight quickly to the back offsetting the TW. Actually is good planning on their part.
I just wish I had a toy to haul to alleviate this issue and add that weight. For our family, the Discover is perfect as a camper. Especially with the dual tip out sleep areas. It’s plenty big. Kitchen is inside on this one and it’s still fairly light. Plus, I was thinking of adding a ‘dining table’ in it as well. Maybe I’ll just put my weight set in the back. 😆

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just wish I had a toy to haul to alleviate this issue and add that weight. For our family, the Discover is perfect as a camper. Especially with the dual tip out sleep areas. It’s plenty big. Kitchen is inside on this one and it’s still fairly light. Plus, I was thinking of adding a ‘dining table’ in it as well. Maybe I’ll just put my weight set in the back. 😆
Perfect! A rolling gym.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I think too many people see removing tongue weight as evil and dangerous. It's not, so long as you are within the safe ranges for a trailer. The more we load our trailer the lighter the tongue gets, going from just under 500 lbs at 4400lbs loaded to right at 440 lbs at 4960 lbs loaded. And its just as stable at freeway speeds.

·
Administrator
10,947 Posts
Those rims are ugly. 🤣

On a serious note though, do you use anything on them? I've used tire shine, like once, mostly by accident.

(for those who don't know, I run those rims too, and I think they're gorgeous)

Nice setup... I may go back to roof mount for my spare for my next long adventure. Have you towed that off road yet?

I’d say go for it. Load it and check tongue weight before travel . Intech makes beautiful trailers - I have a flyer pursue - I highly recommend them .

View attachment 6227

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think too many people see removing tongue weight as evil and dangerous. It's not, so long as you are within the safe ranges for a trailer. The more we load our trailer the lighter the tongue gets, going from just under 500 lbs at 4400lbs loaded to right at 440 lbs at 4960 lbs loaded. And its just as stable at freeway speeds.
Or saying removing tongue weight is dangerous. Putting too much weight in the back end is dangerous because of sway.

also, isn’t it dangerous to have 3500 lbs of trailer/cargo and 500 lbs of tongue weight? That would be my issue with this particular trailer I’m considering. I would need to remove 175 lbs of tongue weight to operate safely.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Or saying removing tongue weight is dangerous. Putting too much weight in the back end is dangerous because of sway.

also, isn’t it dangerous to have 3500 lbs of trailer/cargo and 500 lbs of tongue weight? That would be my issue with this particular trailer I’m considering. I would need to remove 175 lbs of tongue weight to operate safely.
The point of a trailer is too carry your excess stuff and weight, so having the tongue weight unnecessarily heavy is not dangerous unless the tow vehicle is overloaded. I would aim for 10 to 15 % of gross weight and adjust depending on your how your setup feels when towing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts