Subaru Ascent Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have created a Webpage that contains more information about our 2020 Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB couple’s travel trailer than was presented in the YouTube video that I had previously posted.

The Webpage contains new information and photos, or extends information, that was not in the video.

The new Webpage is titled:
“More Information On “Issues”, “Fixes”, Notes, Modifications and Additions to the 2020 Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB”

A lot more useful information about this unit, and towing it with our Ascent, can be found on that Webpage.

I must add that despite the “project” this unit has become, we absolutely love it.

It worked well for us this summer and has proved to be a excellent choice of a couple’s coach for us, and it is easily pulled by our 2019 Ascent premium trim.

Other related Webpages Include:

My Actual RV Essential Weights in Our Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB

2019 Subaru Ascent Premium Miles Per Gallon

My Thoughts and Research On Towing with the 2019 Ascent

·
Registered
911 Posts
Ken,
You keep excellent notes.

Once you have repainted the rusty areas on your chassis, consider rustproofing them with Cosmoline RP-342 "HEAVY" Military-Grade Rust Preventive Spray. I rustproofed my Ascent with this product. This is used by the military and is modeled after Military Specifications: MIL-PRF-16173, Grade 4 and MIL-C-83933. It's the best rustproofing product I could find after much research. Once you use this, you'll have no more problems with rust.

When I purchase my travel trailer, I'm going to rustproof the entire chassis right away, just as I did with my Ascent.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so very much for the tips.
Still trying to get all of the frame clean under the trailer, so that I can identify all the areas of rust, but it is raining here today. :(

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning, I added more information to my Webpage about my Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB as well as a new version of the 187RB that Haylett RV recently received.

Like my trailer, the Off Grid version has the Summit package, with the windshield in the front, but it also has Coachmen’s Off Grid package with a solar panel installed and a 50 gallon fresh water tank.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Ken, I’ve followed your posts about your camper. After having owned it for awhile now, can you still recommend it or if faced with purchasing again would you consider another. Reason I ask is I’m considering this as a less expensive alternative to a Geo Pro 19 FBS.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi huntingskeetman,

It is perfect for us and a grandchild. It has some "issues", most of which I fixed or came up with a workaround.
I'd recommend watching my video, even though it is long.

They have already changed some of the things that I mentioned and I have links to the latest version in the comments on the video page.

I'd also recommending the followup Web page.

I would buy another, if something happened to this one. The Ascent pulls it well, and it fits our lifestyle.

I do wish they'd used the 4400 lb. axle instead of the 3500 lb.

Hope this helps,
Ken

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I could not find the edit button to add this.

To see my comments on YouTube, once you start the video, select YouTube to open up the whole page with comments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi Ken, thanks for the update, I’d love to talk to you more about the trailer but didn’t see a way to connect with you. I’m currently talking to sales manager from Haylett on a new one they have in stock, but this Coronavirus thing has us in Ohio and Michigan self quarantined at home. The best I can probably do is to leave a deposit and pick it up who knows when.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I do wish they'd used the 4400 lb. axle instead of the 3500 lb.
This is quickly becoming my pet peeves for trailers light enough to be tow with a CUV. It is awesome you've got the weight between 3,000- 3,500 lbs but having a max weight for just 250-400 pounds of stuff is just unrealistic for most outdoor enthusiasts. Many trailers eat that weight allowance with options plus water and propane tanks. Leaving the buyer with asking is this light enough for backpacking for gear choices.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I meant to post this link as it has a lot more information after the video was made.

It includes a link, near the bottom of the page to some changes made to the most recent 2020 production versions.
Most trailering guides state that tongue weight ought to be between 10% - 15% of the total trailer weight. It looks like that's what you had.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Most of the time, right around 11%.
I have no idea why the Ascent manual notes 8% to 11%. The norm for North America is as you've stated. It is much, much lower in Europe, where the allowable speeds for pulling a trailer are much lower.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts