Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all of the posts here and on FB regarding new wheels and tires. Collective wisdom is the best thing about the net IMO and thanks to all for sharing yours here. I've settled on:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-wheels/vision-cross-ii/p/61285

Seems like 40 offset with 2100 load rating ought to be good. Am I missing any reason that these will not work well? Outfitted with Geolandar A/T-S if I can get them, or Continental Terrain Contact A/T.

As we're going with the same size as the stock 18-inchers that come on Ascents can we use the OEM spare with the new wheels? Or does Subaru use a different spare for the 18s and 20s? We can get a 5th wheel and tire to roof mount in a basket, but if we can get by using the spare we already have that would be simpler.

Regarding TPMS, we are planning to keep the 20" wheels and tires to replace at the end of our lease, so will we be better off with new sensors or does having them switched out and back make more sense? Sounds like they just attach to the bottom of the stem inside the rim. If we go with a new spare and put it into the tire rotation for sizing maintenance, it would need its own of course and that would mean having the TPMS reset by the dealer every time the tires are rotated, correct? I have read that the Subie can only register 4 at any one time.

Thanks.

·
Registered
914 Posts
As we're going with the same size as the stock 18-inchers that come on Ascents can we use the OEM spare with the new wheels? Or does Subaru use a different spare for the 18s and 20s? We can get a 5th wheel and tire to roof mount in a basket, but if we can get by using the spare we already have that would be simpler.

Thanks.
Yes, you can use the OEM spare. BUT, you will have to keep a set of the original lugnuts for use with the spare as the new rims will probably require a different lugnut. The angle of the bevel that sets into the rim is different for different kinds of rims. Unless you are lucky and the bevels are the same angle your new rims will require a new set of lugnuts. Check with your installer to be sure.

I have 2 sets of wheels for my 88 Mustang. They were bought at different times and so I also have 2 sets of lugnuts!

Reactions: dgc1962
1 - 5 of 5 Posts