Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked up a 2020 ascent limited on Monday with a panoramic moonroof. Been loving it but all of a sudden today the moonroof wouldn’t close. It was out in the sun for a few hours beforehand. I wisked away some grease/lubricant that seemed to have clumped together and it did the trick (finally closed) but it’s still being testy. Also when it opens, it does so smoothly / no sounds, but when closing it successfully I’m hearing friction type of noises which are alarming. Has anyone had the same problem and can you offer advice? Would love to not have to go back to the dealership and hour away and spend a whole day dealing with this after just getting the car on Monday! Thx in advance.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
We picked up a 2020 ascent limited on Monday with a panoramic moonroof. Been loving it but all of a sudden today the moonroof wouldn’t close. It was out in the sun for a few hours beforehand. I wisked away some grease/lubricant that seemed to have clumped together and it did the trick (finally closed) but it’s still being testy. Also when it opens, it does so smoothly / no sounds, but when closing it successfully I’m hearing friction type of noises which are alarming. Has anyone had the same problem and can you offer advice? Would love to not have to go back to the dealership and hour away and spend a whole day dealing with this after just getting the car on Monday! Thx in advance.
Given you just picked up this new car, I would suggest you call the dealership, explain the situation and ask that they deliver to your home a loaner so they can pick up your Ascent for repair. They can then return your repaired vehicle for the exchange after the repair is complete. Between it being so new and covid I would expect they will be willing to do so. If they are unwilling I suggest you contact Subaru of America and I suspect they will "entice" the dealership to take care of you. Having a video of the experience to share with the dealership and or SOA would help.

Let us know how it all goes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had to go in - they almost sent me home without a loaner with instructions to come back next week, but the owner of the dealership caught me before I was about to pull away, dejected, and gave me a loaner after initially telling me he couldn’t cause of Covid (which makes no sense since rental car agencies are operating and we are in one of 2 states with declining cases and few to begin with). It was a good thing because it’s now day 3 after having been dropped off there and the service guys don’t know what to do. Waiting for Subaru USA to give them instructions. They may need a replacement part which could take at least 7 biz days to get here. Meantime we are stuck with a kind of janky trim older Outback but better than making me sit around the dealership all day and then being told it would take more than a day and more like 2 weeks to fix it. The problem is we have a long distance trip coming up and need to haul a lot of stuff and need the Ascent back! The owner suggested to me that if they couldn’t fix it he could rip the roof off his other limited ascent on the lot and put it on ours, but not the tech guy is saying that “since Subaru USA is involved now they won’t allow us to do that”. I assume the owner of the dealership has the power to make his own calls about stuff like this. There were only 2 on the lot it’s not the most popular model and they clearly aren’t flying off the lots these days.... either way that’s the latest... based on the service guys feedback sounds like he’s never seen this before and has no idea how to fix it. I’m worried they won’t be able to fix it at all!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Jcohen808 whatever happens, don't let that owner rip the roof off
@Jcohen808 whatever happens, don't let that owner rip the roof off
Why not? Sounded like the quickest fix would be to replace it with the sunroof of an identical new car they have on the lot? Is there a reason to avoid that? (I’m not a mechanical person by any means, I just know how to drive the thing and put gas in it!)

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
Sounded like the quickest fix would be to replace it with the sunroof of an identical new car they have on the lot?
It would be highly unusual that any dealer would take parts off of another vehicle on the lot...

Reactions: SA2020

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,256 Posts
Dealers will sometimes do this -- take parts off an unsold car to fix a customer's broken car. SOA may prohibit or discourage that...I don't know about their policies in particular. But it's not unprecedented. Especially when there's a back-order on the part. In my opinion, that shows quite a bit of goodwill by the dealership -- they'll sacrifice inventory they haven't sold yet (and now won't be able to sell, at least in the short term) to make a current customer happy. Good on them, at least for trying!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to agree with Jim. Something really shady it's going on with that dealer. let Subaru of America handle it they usually do a pretty good job.
It would be highly unusual that any dealer would take parts off of another vehicle on the lot...
agree but I think the owner feels guilty cause this happened 6 days into ownership and it was clear that we didn’t do anything unusual with the car only put 150 miles on it

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks SA they aren’t going to do anything though besides tell the guys at the dealership what to do or send replacement parts (which already exist in theory on the other ascent they have - which is identical but in a color my wife doesn’t like)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Thanks SA they aren’t going to do anything though besides tell the guys at the dealership what to do or send replacement parts (which already exist in theory on the other ascent they have - which is identical but in a color my wife doesn’t like)
and what valuable lesson did we learn from this? Don't use you car for it's intended purpose. You should have put it in your garage for display purposes only :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dealers will sometimes do this -- take parts off an unsold car to fix a customer's broken car. SOA may prohibit or discourage that...I don't know about their policies in particular. But it's not unprecedented. Especially when there's a back-order on the part. In my opinion, that shows quite a bit of goodwill by the dealership -- they'll sacrifice inventory they haven't sold yet (and now won't be able to sell, at least in the short term) to make a current customer happy. Good on them, at least for trying!
Well they haven’t done that yet. I’m waiting to hear from the head mechanic. I kind of don’t want to go over him to the owner / don’t want to make enemies with the mechanic need a good long term relationship with that dude! That said I don’t see how subaru can override the guy who owns the franchise. We just laid out good money for a brand new car, not used, and we should be enjoying it instead of this loaner!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and what valuable lesson did we learn from this? Don't use you car for it's intended purpose. You should have put it in your garage for display purposes only :ROFLMAO:
Not sure what you mean? Making fun of Subaru? I’m bummed man they are supposed to be so reliable and it’s our first Subaru (I used to have an Acura and my wife had a Toyota). Was loving it for all of 6 days 🤦🏻‍♂️

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,161 Posts
Any make and model can have issues including something early and difficult like this one, including Subaru. It's really hard when it's "our vehicle", for sure...

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
I had to go in - they almost sent me home without a loaner with instructions to come back next week, but the owner of the dealership caught me before I was about to pull away, dejected, and gave me a loaner after initially telling me he couldn’t cause of Covid (which makes no sense since rental car agencies are operating and we are in one of 2 states with declining cases and few to begin with). It was a good thing because it’s now day 3 after having been dropped off there and the service guys don’t know what to do. Waiting for Subaru USA to give them instructions. They may need a replacement part which could take at least 7 biz days to get here. Meantime we are stuck with a kind of janky trim older Outback but better than making me sit around the dealership all day and then being told it would take more than a day and more like 2 weeks to fix it. The problem is we have a long distance trip coming up and need to haul a lot of stuff and need the Ascent back! The owner suggested to me that if they couldn’t fix it he could rip the roof off his other limited ascent on the lot and put it on ours, but not the tech guy is saying that “since Subaru USA is involved now they won’t allow us to do that”. I assume the owner of the dealership has the power to make his own calls about stuff like this. There were only 2 on the lot it’s not the most popular model and they clearly aren’t flying off the lots these days.... either way that’s the latest... based on the service guys feedback sounds like he’s never seen this before and has no idea how to fix it. I’m worried they won’t be able to fix it at all!
That owner is way off base. If you have that trip planned, I suggest you call SOA and tell them to provide you with an Ascent whether it comes from this dealer or elsewhere. The owner's covid assertion is absurd and has no basis in reality at other dealetships across the nation. Do not let them get away with any of this. Get the loaner you need and drive it wherever you need to and do not give it up until your vehicle is repaired properly. Do not frett about it once you have the proper loaner. I strongly suggest that you get much firmer with those involved. SOA should be told of this owner wanting you to go home with the open roof vehicle and hiss BS involving covid. SOA will take care of you but you need to be an active partner in this demanding that Ascent loaner.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.