Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just assuming and just realize, can anyone confirm that if I didn't get a touring or add the panoramic moon roof I won't getting any moon roof? even the regular moon roofs found on other cars?

·
Registered
253 Posts
I was just assuming and just realize, can anyone confirm that if I didn't get a touring or add the panoramic moon roof I won't getting any moon roof? even the regular moon roofs found on other cars?
Pretty sure it's the big one or nothing.

Reactions: zhingket

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Those Panoramic sunroofs look great, but I just cannot let myself pull the trigger on something that is designed to fail right after the warranty expires. I don't like water on the inside of my vehicle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Those Panoramic sunroofs look great, but I just cannot let myself pull the trigger on something that is designed to fail right after the warranty expires. I don't like water on the inside of my vehicle.

I've had sunroofs for my entire adult life and have never had one leak.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've had sunroofs for my entire adult life and have never had one leak.
I have the same experience with sunroofs, but I do know the GMC Acadia had issues with their sunroofs in their first year models...'08 I believe. They would leak and water ran down the inside of the panels ruining the electrical components. Still, I'm not too worried about our Ascent. **** happens and hopefully that's why you have a warranty.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Same here, have had several of them, and never a failure, even after 10 years and high mileage.

Mine have been a Mazda, Acura, Toyota all well over 150K and 13 plus years. One Chevy...the sunroof didn't break, but everything else did.

·
Registered
965 Posts
All moon/sun roofs will leak a little bit, but they are now designed to direct that water flow through channels out of the car. They no longer allow water to get in and ruin things.
Just a quick addendum to that. In the corners of the open sunroof, there are little tubes that go down through the A and C pillars, so the water that DOES get around the edges can drain away. If you do a lot of driving is a dusty environment, or have your roof open in the fall to enjoy the leaves changing colors and then those leaves fall in there ... clean the tubes out every two or three years. You know, one of those ten minutes of preventative maintenance instead of a putting in a new headliner later. (And if I have to tell you how to use a pipe cleaner or air compressor to blow debris out of a channel ... take it in to someone who DOES.)

·
Registered
1,136 Posts

I've had sunroofs for my entire adult life and

have never had one leak.
I’m talking of panoramic full length glass roofs. Normal sunroofs don’t leak because people rarely use them. Time will tell on these large pieces of glass. KIA discontinued them because of problems. I hope no one has a problem.

Just like all these complicated electrical systems. Instead of the money light going on, it will be the mega money light.

·
Registered
120 Posts

I've had sunroofs for my entire adult life and

have never had one leak.
I’m talking of panoramic full length glass roofs. Normal sunroofs don’t leak because people rarely use them. Time will tell on these large pieces of glass. KIA discontinued them because of problems. I hope no one has a problem.

Just like all these complicated electrical systems. Instead of the money light going on, it will be the mega money light.
KIA still offers panoramic moonroofs and we’ve never had an issue with ours

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Regularly clean the drain channels and tubes, or take it some place that can do it.

When the drain channels and/or tubes get clogged, they leak and/or rust.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is the moonroof supposed to open its entire length to open air, or only the front half?
Just the front half. There's no room in the roof for the entire thing to retract so they double up over the rear section.

Reactions: calimomofboys
1 - 20 of 27 Posts