Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone give me the quick version of what each mode does and if there is a way to quickly change them? We are granny drivers usually and ECO should be great for us. I'm assuming that is the gas mileage saver. But, there are a few cases (i.e. one freeway entrance by my home that goes quickly) where I need quick pick up. Is there a way to quickly change or do you need to navigate through buttons? I think I only see the xmode as the quickly navigate button. I suppose we can shift to manual and paddle shift but that will take some learning on my end as I only use my shifters on my other car for steep downhills. I have no idea of other modes. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If you are thinking of modes like sport and eco like some cars have there are not other "modes" except the X Mode which is just for off road. There are modes on the ACC.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,883 Posts
Robert is correct...you can adjust behavior of the Eyesight ACC from very aggressive to very "granny", but it doesn't take your ability to step on the skinny pedal away for acceleration when needed. The only "ECO" mode there is for regular, non-cruise control, driving is how you use your accelerator and brake pedals. Some folks are natural "hyper-milers" and some folks like to "drive it like they stole it". The former will get better fuel economy than the latter. ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,434 Posts
But, there are a few cases (i.e. one freeway entrance by my home that goes quickly) where I need quick pick up. Is there a way to quickly change or do you need to navigate through buttons?
X mode won’t do any good on the freeway. It’ll deactivate immediately.
There’s also no real need to downshift with the paddles as the CVT will handle that on its own, unless you prefer to do so. If you find yourself entering a highway on ACC (not recommended) just press the gas to accelerate more quickly and ACC will take over when you let go.
I keep mine on ECO because I’m in traffic a lot and it results in smoother acceleration for me. When traffic clears or I need to pass someone I press the accelerator more aggressively. Also be aware of what ACC is set to. If it’s set too low it’ll apply the brakes as soon as you let go of the accelerator!
So unlike ‘eco’ systems like in some Chryslers that activate/deactivate cylinders or change throttle response/shift points while driving, ours only affects ACC and all 4 cylinders are always firing.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So when you say you keep yours on ECO, this isn't a setting but you just don't put it on cruise? Sounds like Jim is saying that ECO is maybe just lit up by the way you drive but not on cruise. But, xydad sounds like you're saying there is actually an ECO mode that you keep on.
Sorry, this one is confusing me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ahh that makes more sense. I like to give myself plenty of room between cars with full bars on cruise. Is that better or worse?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ahh that makes more sense. I like to give myself plenty of room between cars with full bars on cruise. Is that better or worse?
Neither better nor worse. It depends on the use case. I tend to set the following distance farther when I'm truly cruising at highway speeds and don't want to tailgate anybody. If I'm in heavy traffic and decide to use ACC, I keep the distance set to minimum (one bar). If I didn't, cars will cut me off to fill in those gaps very quickly.

...and just for clarification, the ECO mode for ACC turns down the agressiveness of the acceleration while using ACC. i.e when the target vehicle in front of you speeds up, you car will catch up to it slowly as opposed to briskly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts