Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Which do you prefer, hand washing or automatic washing your vehicle?

• Hand washing

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Automatic washing

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • It looks better covered in mud

Votes: 3 13.6%
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have to park outside in Pacific Northwest weather so it get's washed about 1-2 times a month. I know hand washing is the way to go but other life priorities get my time and energy.

So far I've managed to avoid significant noticeable swirls on my MGM by using the local auto wash chain with cloth based 'parts' that touch the car. And I splurge for the extra shine/carnuba(whatever) rinse, followed by a full MF wipe down to prevent spotting and such. Then once a year at a minimum, I take it for a full inside / outside detail including polish at a local detail shop.

Also, I always decline the dealer offer for car wash just in case they have some plastic 'thing' they want to use. ;-)

fwiw

·
Registered
12 Posts
Adding my $0.02 here. I also line in the PNW and occasionally park outside but in most cases park in the garage. Love the tress but this time of year makes me hate them. The yellow pollen gets in every nook and cranny. Like @ntotrr said, we paid big buck for this car. I intend on keeping for many years to come and do my best to keep it in tip top shape including the paint job. I prefer hand washing. I too use MF towels with seamed edges. I don’t use buckets. I use an electric pressure washer with foam cannon. Foam once let sit. Spray of with pressure then foam again and let sit. Wash top half with wash flip over them wash bottom half. Re foam as needed. Blow off with electric DeWalt 60v blower and any remaining water get handle with a MF towel on painted surfaces and regular towel on glass. We’ve had our Ascent since December of 2020 and not a single swirl mark on the paint. In a pinch I use a touch less car wash. Once I get around to adding a new coat of wax I will stick to only hand washing. The wax a plan on use works wonders when it comes to hydrophobic properties. Sampled it on our Passat and the water beading was amazing. Should make washing and drying way easier. All MF towels get washed separately. Drying towels with drying towels and washing towels with washing towels. I also only use MF towels on interior surfaces. One thing I do regret not getting is a clear bra on the entire front of the car including A pillar and mirrors.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts