Subaru Ascent Forum banner

Which do you prefer, hand washing or automatic washing your vehicle?

• Hand washing

Votes: 12 54.5%
  • Automatic washing

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • It looks better covered in mud

Votes: 3 13.6%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so we know factory paint isn't the best, and we want to get our babies some coats of wax on them as quickly and easily as possible. Well, I have found Mod Wash here in SC, I don't know if they're available every where but, it is so amazing, especially if you're not the type to get out and wash a vehicle. I've found the wash to be pretty thorough, and my Ascent looks better and better each time I go through. I also bought some leather 3-in-1, how often do you all apply leather/dash protection? I'm definitely ordering the sunshield next month

Super Moderator
Handwashing with only the softest MF towels is the only way to go. Maybe I'm biased after this happened. Over the last few years especially I've learned a lot about washing and protecting the paint. Swirls on other vehicles stand out too much to me to ever subject my vehicles to an automatic wash again. Touchless washes are ok in a pinch, but they're practically nonexistent around here.

Reactions: viola4lfe

Registered
2022 Ascent Touring
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Handwashing with only the softest MF towels is the only way to go. Maybe I'm biased after this happened. Over the last few years especially I've learned a lot about washing and protecting the paint. Swirls on other vehicles stand out too much to me to ever subject my vehicles to an automatic wash again. Touchless washes are ok in a pinch, but they're practically nonexistent around here.
Oh wow! :oops::cry: and you said those pictures don't even really show the extent.. Sorry that happened to you, definitely gonna think twice now when it comes to selecting the appropriate type of wash given the condition of road salts..I'm from NOVA, and we salt heavily there as well, go VDOT, lol.

Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
It's been several decades since the last time I "hand washed" a vehicle. I don't apply wax or coatings either. I do not feel the need nor have I ever had any issues. But then again, I don't really look that close at the finish since it's not important to me. The $6 wash does the job I expect. :)

Super Moderator
I don't apply wax or coatings either. I do not feel the need nor have I ever had any issues. But then again, I don't really look that close at the finish since it's not important to me. The $6 wash does the job I expect. :)
@Jim_in_PA come down here so we can compare our paints side-by-side :sneaky2:

Reactions: viola4lfe

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
Swirls are the reason I went with CWP. Never owned a white car in my life but I've gotten too old to constantly do swirl removal on dark finishes to keep them looking up to my standards.

Super Moderator
鈥ut I've gotten too old to constantly do swirl removal on dark finishes to keep them looking up to my standards.
Those lighter colors do hide the swirls better. The key is never allow the swirls to form. I don鈥檛 have time to wash as much as I鈥檇 like so I end up with a dirty Ascent more often than a clean one, but I still won鈥檛 take it back to the auto washes! 馃槀

Premium Member
2022 Ascent Touring, 7 Passenger - AWD

Super Moderator
I found this mitt great for hand washing my cars.
I have one of those! But I鈥檒l only use it on my wife鈥檚 Kia. It holds too much dirt. Each panel of my Subaru gets washed with a separate mf towel then that towel is set aside. My towels get washed and dried separate from other laundry as well鈥es I鈥檓 aware I鈥檓 borderline insane.

Premium Member
2021 Ascent Touring
I have one of those! But I鈥檒l only use it on my wife鈥檚 Kia. It holds too much dirt. Each panel of my Subaru gets washed with a separate mf towel then that towel is set aside. My towels get washed and dried separate from other laundry as well鈥es I鈥檓 aware I鈥檓 borderline insane.
There is no border.

Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
I wash my MF towels separate from other wash, the reasin being so no fabric softener gets used on them.

Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
Do you also use separate buckets for suds and rinse water? If you do, welcome to my club for OCD car washers.

PS: I use fresh microfiber cloths for 1 wash and then they're tossed or demoted to more proletariat uses like cleaning tires.

Registered
2021 Subaru Ascent, 2015 Kia K900
You spent tens of thousands on your Ascent. Treat it the way you want. What I find insane is people who don't take care of their vehicles. I see vehicles that obviously have never seen a wash, let alone wax. It's a shame, IMO.

Many years ago, my neighbor would see my washing my car often. Then he'd see me using my leaf blower to get most of the water off. He told me he thought I was a bit crazy until he tried it for himself and now he does the same thing.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts