Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Ascent has a trailer hitch that's been factory installed and I added the proportional brake controller on the factory wiring harness. It all works well yet the RAB and warning controls could be far better. I hit the RAB button on the dash and the rear sensors are mostly off yet from time to time, the brakes slam on while backing the trailer in reverse. The warning patches on the video screen still work as well. If I turn the features off from the back-up screen, all's well, until I switch out of reverse. Reverse again, I need to disable the RAB from the screen and the warning patches. It works yet is clumsy. Other manufacturers use the brake lead to the seven pole plug on the trailer hitch to sense existence of the trailer. I'm surprised Subaru hasn't included such a feature as well.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Four pin or seven pin harness connected to your trailer? I don't think I've had to turn mine back on, but I don't have to back up often.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Seven pin with brakes through a Curt Triflex controller. The brakes work fine and the controller sees them when connected. The lighting on the trailer is tungsten so there is a load.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
Seven pin with brakes through a Curt Triflex controller. The brakes work fine and the controller sees them when connected. The lighting on the trailer is tungsten so there is a load.
Weird. We've been noting some inconsistencies in how the system has been operating compared to all of each other. Perhaps @Ken Myers and @Kevin Williams can chime in. They've got thousands of miles of towing to my hundreds.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I don't have the RAB as I just have a Premium model without packages.

I do remember reading from others that had problems with having to turn off the RAB a lot. I think you'll just get used to knowing when you have to "shut it off again!"

I agree. Seems a simple oversight to not disable RAB when a trailer is connected.

·
Administrator
10,986 Posts
I agree. Seems a simple oversight to not disable RAB when a trailer is connected
And that's the odd thing. Mine has. But I am not sure if it's because it remembered from the first time, or if there's an "I remember" timeout, or if it just shut it off on its own, and I don't feel like dragging out Eddie's trailer to test it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.