Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love everything but these two things: the pleather on the dash is taupe and the door is ivory- definitely not the same color. And the heated seats get to luke warm at best. Local dealer says they cant see the difference and that the seats are testing at 90 degrees. Taking it an hour away to the dealer I bought it at to see what they can do. So disappointed.
Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

·
Registered
2021 Ascent Limited Black/Black
370 Posts
Yeah, definitely looks like 2 different colors to my eyes. Hopefully the dealer you bought it from is more helpful.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Really hoping the interior gets a good redesign next year. Even without the problem you mention I'm no fan of the design. Very weird to use ivory leather one place and brown or black another.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Really hoping the interior gets a good redesign next year. Even without the problem you mention I'm no fan of the design. Very weird to use ivory leather one place and brown or black another.
Exactly! I have a light gray roof liner and side arms- whyever you call them. So I have light gray, ivory, beige and black. I wouldnt have bought it had I noticed the difference. It was dusk when we got there.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also- if you’re going to design a continuous trim from dash to door - make sure you can make the materials match.

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
396 Posts
Also- if you’re going to design a continuous trim from dash to door - make sure you can make the materials match.
I don't recall seeing any other threads about this type of issue, I think you have a one-off. Give them the chance to fix it. Sounds like the first dealer is not so great, if you're striking out with multiple dealers call SOA and get them involved.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
WARNING: DISSENTING OPINION AHEAD

I'm with you, the color looks a little off, but let me suggest an alternative: Lower your standards.

If the vehicle were sold as a luxury SUV, then ".. psshh, yeah hello." But it's a Subaru. And you get Subaru quality, Subaru Luxury, and Subaru tolerances in color matching.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WARNING: DISSENTING OPINION AHEAD

I'm with you, the color looks a little off, but let me suggest an alternative: Lower your standards.

If the vehicle were sold as a luxury SUV, then ".. psshh, yeah hello." But it's a Subaru. And you get Subaru quality, Subaru Luxury, and Subaru tolerances in color matching.
Eh… no, I wont lower my standards actually. Every other suv in this price range Ive owned has managed to match their interior styling. Bad answer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't recall seeing any other threads about this type of issue, I think you have a one-off. Give them the chance to fix it. Sounds like the first dealer is not so great, if you're striking out with multiple dealers call SOA and get them involved.
SOA is involved. We will see what the dealer I bought it from says. This may have been a short venture into Subarus.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Honestly I can't see a color difference either. There's lots of light on the left panel. Comparing the color right at the split though, they appear the same. Could be my monitor. IDK.

They're probably just from different batches that had some tolerance difference. They may still be in spec though. How hard you push for resolution and what SOA decides to do are up to you and them. They'll probably have to change all three parts at the same time to have a better chance of matching.

As far as the heated seats, mine always got nice and toasty. No idea what temperature they got to. There should be a test and pass-fail criteria. If it's passing they probably won't do much.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I love everything but these two things: the pleather on the dash is taupe and the door is ivory- definitely not the same color. And the heated seats get to luke warm at best. Local dealer says they cant see the difference and that the seats are testing at 90 degrees. Taking it an hour away to the dealer I bought it at to see what they can do. So disappointed. View attachment 14125
based solely on the photos, it is clearly a different color. Assuming the lighting is not impacting the perspective, I would not accept this difference. I am not clear how this got by your initial inspection when picking up the vehicle. SOA should have this swapped out. Which color is the one that exists elsewhere on the vehicle? Are these the only two "ivory/white" colors installed int he vehicle or is there a third?

As far as the heated seats go. I have never had a problem with my 2019 heated seat or steering wheel. They heat up quickly and effectively. I have no idea what the temp is supposed to be, but it has worked well in Colorado.

·
Super Moderator
2,429 Posts
when picking up the vehicle. SOA should have this swapped out. Which color is the one that exists elsewhere on the vehicle? Are these the only two "ivory/white" colors installed int he vehicle
packout brings up a good point. the trim on the driver side should be the same.
does the dash trim match the door trim on the driver side or is it just mismatched on the passenger side?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
packout brings up a good point. the trim on the driver side should be the same.
does the dash trim match the door trim on the driver side or is it just mismatched on the passenger side?
Both the passenger and driver doors are ivory, but it is more noticeable on the passenger side. I cant tell which is the right color honestly. The passenger door is a very bright ivory and the dash is a more muted beige.

·
Registered
2020 CWP Touring
1,164 Posts
I agree that the color difference is clear, but I've sat in and have driven several Ascents and I have not seen the same from them. Our 2020 Touring's colors are all consistent. I think your issue here is not systemic, but one of an individual sample. My best guess is there was an unusual variance in the color tinting and the panels on your car may have been sourced from two very different production runs. This may be especially true in this current manufacturing environment, where the supply chain is particularly disrupted (and has been off and on since March 2020). Subaru doesn't make these parts, they just assemble them into cars. To be frank, they're probably produced by Johnson Controls in Michigan (or similar).

This seems like a fairly simple fix. Of course, you'd want the new panel to match what's there, but it may not be a perfect consistency given the time duration between production runs of your originals and a replacement.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree that the color difference is clear, but I've sat in and have driven several Ascents and I have not seen the same from them. Our 2020 Touring's colors are all consistent. I think your issue here is not systemic, but one of an individual sample. My best guess is there was an unusual variance in the color tinting and the panels on your car may have been sourced from two very different production runs. This may be especially true in this current manufacturing environment, where the supply chain is particularly disrupted (and has been off and on since March 2020). Subaru doesn't make these parts, they just assemble them into cars. To be frank, they're probably produced by Johnson Controls in Michigan (or similar).

This seems like a fairly simple fix. Of course, you'd want the new panel to match what's there, but it may not be a perfect consistency given the time duration between production runs of your originals and a replacement.
That makes sense. First world problems!

·
Registered
21 Ascent Premium, 18 Outback Ltd 2.5
396 Posts
What did the other dealer have to say?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts