Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my Ascent Touring a few days ago and have found 2 issues I will be taking it in to have looked at and wanted to know if anyone else had heard or seen of these problems.

1. Starting misfire/missing from engine. For the past two mornings, after an overnight sitting, I start it up. Starts immediately, but within about 2-3 seconds, there is a misfire in the engine -- you can feel it shake the vehicle -- but it recovers immediately and runs fine thereafter. Successive warm starts are fine, no issue.

2. When initially depressing the brake pedal, there is a small amount of "sticking" in the pedal. It breaks free of this sticking and operates normally. Is not consistent from brake push to push.

Other item:
1. Not a big fan of the auto high beam assist. It is far too sensitive at when it turns off the high beams. I live in a rural area and passing by farms on a dark road with no other cars around, the system will disable the high beams when it detects an exterior barn light of a farm I pass. I thought I had read there was a way to adjust this sensitivity, but I can't seem to find anything about it any of the vehicle or general menu items in the infotainment system. According to the owners manual, p228, only the Subaru dealer can disable this feature. I would rather just have the high beams operate traditionally -- you turn it on, they come on, you turn it off, they go off.

Otherwise, this vehicle is absolutely incredible. Quiet, powerful, comfortable, awesome looking. I made an excellent choice, but definitely want to get the above issues resolved. The engine start problem really worries me because it happens so briefly and no warning lights are thrown that I am expecting a "we didn't find anything wrong" type of response from the dealer. I know other Ascents I test drove that were cold did NOT display that problem, so I am certainly concerned.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Limited
801 Posts
Regarding the headlights, if you switch them from the "auto" setting they will work with the high/low beam switch but you will have to turn the lights on manually.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regarding the headlights, if you switch them from the "auto" setting they will work with the high/low beam switch but you will have to turn the lights on manually.
I want the auto headlight on/off feature enabled, but the auto high beam feature doesn't work very well. This should be a user-selectable option, but isn't for some strange reason. Page 228 of the owner's manual specifically states it must be disabled by a dealer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I bet you have a bad coil pack. I’d take her I’m for a check.
Trying to get it scheduled for that and the brake pedal issue at the same time. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem or not. I was able to capture a video of the start up issue and have sent it to the dealer.

With only 300 miles on it, this is a very rocky start for Subaru with me.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Trying to get it scheduled for that and the brake pedal issue at the same time. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar problem or not. I was able to capture a video of the start up issue and have sent it to the dealer.

With only 300 miles on it, this is a very rocky start for Subaru with me.
Don't be too concerned, Subaru will take care of you. I had a rocky start with my 2010 Forester too including a bad driveshaft bearing. However nearly nine years later it's still running well and looks great. Any new car can have a few bugs to be worked out.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Can you upload the video here so we can see it, too?

Also regarding the Auto setting - I think the poster was trying to say if you want manual control of the high beams, you need to keep it in a manual low beam mode too - or if you're bringing it in for service, have the service department deactivate the auto high beams.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had the rocky start up happen once. I immediately turned off the ignition, waited a bit and started again. I have yet to experience that again. I'm only at about 1,080 miles and getting about 21 mpg combined gas mileage. If anyone can chime in with technical advice it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you upload the video here so we can see it, too?

Also regarding the Auto setting - I think the poster was trying to say if you want manual control of the high beams, you need to keep it in a manual low beam mode too - or if you're bringing it in for service, have the service department deactivate the auto high beams.
Here's the video link:

The issue happens at the 3-4 second mark. Look at the tachometer dip 100-200 RPM and also the sound dips at the same time. At this same moment, the vehicle shudders as well (you can feel the engine stumble). This only happens after the car has sat for at least 6 hours from what I can determine; if it is hot, it hasn't done this.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I just got my Ascent Touring a few days ago and have found 2 issues I will be taking it in to have looked at and wanted to know if anyone else had heard or seen of these problems.

1. Starting misfire/missing from engine. For the past two mornings, after an overnight sitting, I start it up. Starts immediately, but within about 2-3 seconds, there is a misfire in the engine -- you can feel it shake the vehicle -- but it recovers immediately and runs fine thereafter. Successive warm starts are fine, no issue.

2. When initially depressing the brake pedal, there is a small amount of "sticking" in the pedal. It breaks free of this sticking and operates normally. Is not consistent from brake push to push.

Other item:
1. Not a big fan of the auto high beam assist. It is far too sensitive at when it turns off the high beams. I live in a rural area and passing by farms on a dark road with no other cars around, the system will disable the high beams when it detects an exterior barn light of a farm I pass. I thought I had read there was a way to adjust this sensitivity, but I can't seem to find anything about it any of the vehicle or general menu items in the infotainment system. According to the owners manual, p228, only the Subaru dealer can disable this feature. I would rather just have the high beams operate traditionally -- you turn it on, they come on, you turn it off, they go off.

Otherwise, this vehicle is absolutely incredible. Quiet, powerful, comfortable, awesome looking. I made an excellent choice, but definitely want to get the above issues resolved. The engine start problem really worries me because it happens so briefly and no warning lights are thrown that I am expecting a "we didn't find anything wrong" type of response from the dealer. I know other Ascents I test drove that were cold did NOT display that problem, so I am certainly concerned.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
First of all through my experience you need at a couple of thousand miles before all the parts and pieces settle in. Both my new Impreza and Ascent had the sticky brake pedal feel. Both went away after about 3k miles(Remember a lot of shared parts on the new SGP). Same with the engine stumble. Had it once or twice but not it is fine and I only have 1,200 miles on my Ascent. Drive it and don't baby it!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First of all through my experience you need at a couple of thousand miles before all the parts and pieces settle in. Both my new Impreza and Ascent had the sticky brake pedal feel. Both went away after about 3k miles(Remember a lot of shared parts on the new SGP). Same with the engine stumble. Had it once or twice but not it is fine and I only have 1,200 miles on my Ascent. Drive it and don't baby it!
The brake pedal sticking you experienced: did it happen at the very top of the downward stroke when you first apply foot pressure?

The engine stumble was not shared by any of the 4 Ascents I had test driven. I don't buy into the "drive it and it will go away" thing. If that's the response I get from the Subaru dealership, I will seek Subaru corporate's help. If that fails, I guess I am stuck with a defect and a hope it will self-correct. I expect better from a $47k vehicle.

·
Registered
646 Posts
The brake pedal sticking you experienced: did it happen at the very top of the downward stroke when you first apply foot pressure?

The engine stumble was not shared by any of the 4 Ascents I had test driven. I don't buy into the "drive it and it will go away" thing. If that's the response I get from the Subaru dealership, I will seek Subaru corporate's help. If that fails, I guess I am stuck with a defect and a hope it will self-correct. I expect better from a $47k vehicle.
Downward stroke -yes. Does it stumble with every start? After you drive and shut it down does it stumble again after start up? If this issues is not consistent you will get a no problem found from the dealership

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Downward stroke -yes. Does it stumble with every start? After you drive and shut it down does it stumble again after start up? If this issues is not consistent you will get a no problem found from the dealership
So I just got back from the dealer. They said the startup issue is known and intended; it's a deliberate misfire through timing retardation in order to warm the catalytic converters up faster -- it is common to the boxer engine, apparently. To prove it, they had 5 new Ascents lined up and allowed me to test start any or all of them; all of them were cold from an overnight sitting. I started 4 of them (all various trims) and they all had the same startup misfire. 3 of those 4 also had the same brake pedal issue. Personally, I think the startup issue should be resolved in a different way by Subaru because it certainly gave me the impression there was a problem. The brake pedal issue, I don't know what to say. The 1 of the 4 I tested didn't seem to have it, so I don't know what to think. It's annoying as **** to me, frankly, and should also be fixed by Subaru. I asked them to contact the company to see if they know anything about the problem or a fix. Perhaps one of the Subaru Ambassadors on this forum might be able to relay these experiences to corporate?

I have a 2018 Forester (don't know what trim level it is, however) on loan at the moment and will see if behaves the same way on startup when cold. The brake pedal feels completely normal on this one, but it does have 5500 miles on it so it could have been "broken in". I guess time will tell.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I have had several new Subaru's in the past 8 years and I don't recall that happening. This could be a Ascent trait.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have had several new Subaru's in the past 8 years and I don't recall that happening. This could be a Ascent trait.
Apparently it has something to do with the new 2.4L turbo engine they used in the Ascent. Frankly, it's crappy and should be eliminated through another strategy. Not impressed by the boxer engine design so far. Perhaps this is but another reason why almost all other manufacturers don't use it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts