Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found aftermarket mirror extensions (towing mirrors) that work well with the Ascent? I recently took my travel trailer out for its first test drive with the Ascent. Everything went great except for visibility behind me. My trailer is 85" wide, which is just about the same width as the outside edges of the standard mirrors on the Ascent, resulting in little visibility of what's behind me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
mirrors

Has anyone found aftermarket mirror extensions (towing mirrors) that work well with the Ascent? I recently took my travel trailer out for its first test drive with the Ascent. Everything went great except for visibility behind me. My trailer is 85" wide, which is just about the same width as the outside edges of the standard mirrors on the Ascent, resulting in little visibility of what's behind me.
I bought a pair of K-Source towing mirrors, they fit well and hold tight due the ratchet system they use to fasten to the oem mirror edges. I thought I would need them but as it turns out my boat trailer is narrow enough I've found I don't need them.
https://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Towing-Mirrors/K-Source/KS3891.html

·
Registered
421 Posts
A couple of folks in one of the other towing threads recommended this one so I bought two (they come as singles):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AJH1HK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just drove back from a lake trip this morning, 185 miles with an 85" wide rental trailer. Mirrors did great, didn't budge or slide at all. The arms are thick and I don't notice any vibration more than the OEM (so quite minimal). The mounting tabs and arms restrict the OEM mirror from moving to extremes, but I'm able to get them close (plus I am looking primarily at the mirror extensions anyway). Here are pics of the views.

F.S.

Attachments

·
Registered
920 Posts
A couple of folks in one of the other towing threads recommended this one so I bought two (they come as singles):

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AJH1HK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just drove back from a lake trip this morning, 185 miles with an 85" wide rental trailer. Mirrors did great, didn't budge or slide at all. The arms are thick and I don't notice any vibration more than the OEM (so quite minimal). The mounting tabs and arms restrict the OEM mirror from moving to extremes, but I'm able to get them close (plus I am looking primarily at the mirror extensions anyway). Here are pics of the views.

F.S.
These are the ones I got and I am very happy with them. Secure even at speed. Just make sure you fit them properly and then once tightened you shake it a bit and then tighten out any slack.

Used my yesterday for towing stuff on my flatbed to storage!

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
I use those as well. Works for me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
With Robert, Kevin and FirstSubie recommending the Amazon units, I ordered a pair yesterday. They are supposed to be here tomorrow, Monday.

I'll be using them on Thursday when I go down to Haylett Auto and RV Supercenter in Coldwater, MI, 102.7 miles away, to pick up our new Forest River/Coachmen Apex Nano 187RB.

We are pretty excited here. :)

https://www.haylettautoandrv.com/rv...+traveltrailer/12955/coachmen+apex+nano+187rb

·
Registered
294 Posts
The mirrors arrived here at 1:25 p.m. EST.

I flipped mine vertically, as shown on the box, but I just noticed now that FirstSubie has his horizontally as they were delivered.

I won't know which way will work better until Thursday.

They took a bit of fiddling to get them on, but once I figured them out, it wasn't too bad, but just a tiny bit more difficult than I thought might be. Don't get me wrong, they weren't that difficult. I have a tendency to over analyze, and I probably made it more complicated for myself than it needed to be.

Just got off the phone with my insurance agent, and the insurance is ready to go.

Starting to get anxious, in all meanings, now.

Chris won't be going with me on Thursday. It will be a solo trip for the the 102 mile trip down to Coldwater, MI, through Michigan's Irish Hills, and then 102 mile return trip.

We take care of our five-year-old granddaughter every day. She has cystic fibrosis (CF) and needs her breathing treatments no later than mid-afternoon, as well as eating at regular intervals. CF affects both the lungs and digestion.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Make sure those thin tabs grip in between the Ascent's mirror frame and glass! If you tighten before you've got them inserted, they'll wind up sitting on the outside of the Ascent mirror body and not hold right.

I illustrated one of the four tabs in the photo.

Have fun!

F.S.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
Yeah and then don't try to move your Ascent mirrors much after the install. My passenger side is pinched in by the thickness of the tabs, while the drivers side has a little wiggle room. Depends where you had them set, I think.

I envy you! Can't wait for my next trailer trip.

F.S.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I did pull my new travel trailer home yesterday with mirrors vertically mounted, but I'm sure mounting them horizontally will be much better. I just switched them back to the way they were in the box. I'm not sure why they show them vertically on the box.

·
Administrator
10,987 Posts
What do you shoot? I've been photographing for most of 50 years. Spent 15 running specialty camera stores and 20 as a Fuji Pro Rep.
Currently, I use a Nikon D850 and two Sigma ART lenses and one Nikon, and one Samyang (fisheye), with a D7100 as backup.

Primarily, I like photog'ing landscapes, buildings & architecture, cars, nature... I also do event photography, and photos like this...

·
Registered
418 Posts
Jealous about the Star Trek set. Just a tidbit, I used to work with Margaret Jeffries, the niece of the set designer after whom the "Jeffries Tubes" were named. She had some great stories about being able to visit the set when the show was actively being filmed.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,900 Posts
Nikon AND Star Trek. I knew there were more reasons to appreciate you, Robert! :) (D750 and a bunch of lenses myself, but I haven't been shooting much since we sold our horses)

We now return you to your regularly scheduled towing mirror thread. :) :D

Reactions: Robert.Mauro
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.