Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently noticed the windshield of my Ascent Limited has thousands of millions of glaring specks/dots when facing the sunlight in early morning or late afternoon. The windshield becomes so blurry and extremely annoying. This happens only in early morning when facing the sun or late afternoon. Or some bright oncoming vehicle's head lights. At other times, it just looks completely normal when you sit inside and see directly to the road, but if you see from angles your sharp eyes may catch it. Do you guys have this issue, or can you please check. I tried to clean using multiple glass cleaner no improvements, and I took to dealer and they spent some time and cleaned using steel wool, still there, and I requested for if they can replace my windshield, and as of now they are in touch with Subaru America. I made NHTSA complain as well and I feel this is quality control issue. It would be great if you guys can check your cleaned windshield and make sure you do not have any problem, if so I might get it replaced may be I got bad one :). Thoughts comments appreciated.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I believe the laminated safety windshields have two layers of glass laminated together between a thin layer of strong plastic. Stress areas in the laminating process can easily be seen when wearing polarized sunglasses. They become more visible if you take off the sunglasses and rotate them while looking through them. I suspect that those "specks" are in the plastic laminating later and cannot be cleaned off from the surface of the glass. I have no idea if those spots are on every windshield or not.

In the optical eyeglass field, we can get those types of distortion in coatings if a lens is overheated during the manufacturing process.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I feel this is a quality issue.. may be it is better to file a complaint https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ under Visibility/Wiper section, so they might ask Subaru to recall and have the it replaced for everyone with better quality, my previous car after 12 years I did not have this problem, once you clean the window it is striking clean on that car :).

·
Registered
965 Posts
So I feel this is a quality issue.. may be it is better to file a complaint https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/ under Visibility/Wiper section, so they might ask Subaru to recall and have the it replaced for everyone with better quality, my previous car after 12 years I did not have this problem, once you clean the window it is striking clean on that car :).
That's because 12 years ago they didn't make windshields the way they do now. Since, you know, eyesight didn't exist in cars then.

You now have two layers of glass with special laminate in between designed to help with the eyesight system. This is still safety glass like we've had for years, but it's also now designed for sound reduction AND to make it easier for the cameras to see.

·
Registered
646 Posts
That's because 12 years ago they didn't make windshields the way they do now. Since, you know, eyesight didn't exist in cars then.

You now have two layers of glass with special laminate in between designed to help with the eyesight system. This is still safety glass like we've had for years, but it's also now designed for sound reduction AND to make it easier for the cameras to see.
Your point Carl? I would think they would be of high quality and not chip so easy. Remember the recent Outback issues with windshields?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Subaru is replacing the driver's side front door window in my Ascent (when the glass is available) due to waviness/distortions (it was considered a defect). They should definitely be willing to replace the windshield for this defect.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I am working hard on it get it replaced, however I feel this issue might come back if this is widespread issue on the new one. So may be other Ascent owners out check this so it might be quality issue and real safety concern.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
To all reading this thread, you can check to see if your windshield is affected simply by driving toward the sun when it's low such as early morning or early evening. When the sun shines directly through the windshield, you will see thousands of spots if you have this.

Unless I miss my guess, I believe most, if not all will see this issue. I had this problem on my 2016 MX-5 and now on my Ascent.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I got caught in a dust storm in the Arizona desert a week or so after I got my Ascent. The windshield is so terribly pock-marked now that it's very difficult to see out facing into the sun. The winds were about 50+ MPH, and although the windshield looks terrible, the paint survived rather nicely. Insurance is replacing it (IF dealer ever gets the one they ordered). I waited until monsoon season was over in Arizona (end of September or so) to file a claim. I have full $0-deductible on glass, so it's not a horrible thing, but the estimated delivery date is about 6-8 weeks from when I filed.

Reactions: sharp859

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Premium
365 Posts
Not a New Issue

My 2015 Forester had the same issue when purchased in November of 2014, and when pointed out to the dealership they admitted it was an issue for many of their cars. When I took a razor scraper to the windshield it removed these spots, so I can only assume they were the result of some type of overspray from something Subaru applied to the vehicle. I was reluctant to “scrape” the entire windshield, so I assumed that over time they would come off from routine cleaning of the glass and from car washing, and they did, but it took awhile. I did not notice this on my 2016 Crosstrek, but see it again on our new Ascent, so I’m prepared to give it some time like I did for our 2015 Forester.

·
Registered
2019 SUBARU ASCENT PREMIUM
11 Posts
I recently noticed the windshield of my Ascent Limited has thousands of millions of glaring specks/dots when facing the sunlight in early morning or late afternoon. The windshield becomes so blurry and extremely annoying. This happens only in early morning when facing the sun or late afternoon. Or some bright oncoming vehicle's head lights. At other times, it just looks completely normal when you sit inside and see directly to the road, but if you see from angles your sharp eyes may catch it. Do you guys have this issue, or can you please check. I tried to clean using multiple glass cleaner no improvements, and I took to dealer and they spent some time and cleaned using steel wool, still there, and I requested for if they can replace my windshield, and as of now they are in touch with Subaru America. I made NHTSA complain as well and I feel this is quality control issue. It would be great if you guys can check your cleaned windshield and make sure you do not have any problem, if so I might get it replaced may be I got bad one :). Thoughts comments appreciated.
I agree that the windshield has poor visibility with oncoming headlights and is not clear even in daytime. I thought it was only my windshield. I've washed it in and out with no inprovement.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My '22 has a speckled windshield.

I suspect that the glass that is being used is very susceptible to injury.

My '20 Outback developed a mystery crack that required replacement.

I demanded OEM Subaru glass.

That was a decision I soon regretted.

Each of four new replacement windshields had spider cracks that lit up with the sun at the right angle.

I worked with S.O.A. on the issue and they finally authorized reimbursement for a different brand of windshield.

I sold the car and did not get the last windshield installed.

I hope history does not repeat itself with my new Ascent!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts