Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll have to stick to the honor system here, but what is the highest number of miles we've been able to drive between fill ups?

I've personally gone 15 miles after the 20 till empty indicator goes to "--" and ended up at 427 between fill ups. Combo of city/highway

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'd like to get 375 miles with two gallons left in the tank (21.7mpg). Hopefully I can achieve that. I run the A/C constantly though. I'll try shutting off the rear AC when nobody is back there. I'm still at 1300 miles but I've been getting 20MPG more or less (hand calculated). My commute is stop and go and I do Kindergarten pick up and drop off most days. Plus everything is uphill (both ways!) around my neck of the woods. I wish the tank was a little bigger because it's not so much the lower MPG, but I'd like to be able to get a full week+ from one tank. Right now it's cutting it close where I probably want to fill up every 6 days.

I looked into my previous Outback's Fuelly history and it got consistent mileage from day one. There was no significant increase after 5-10k miles like everybody says to expect. I'd like to be hopeful, but 20mpg might be where I'm stuck at with the Ascent. I did get it to 25+mpg on a one-way trip (MPG display), but that same tank is now reading 20.0 after 120 or so more miles. My hilly neighborhood kills my mileage. Even a lot of our freeways are uphill. It's why I don't bike to work with any regularity (only done it twice - it's more for fun than any kind of 'convenience').

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine is around 200-250 but like Jason I always fill up with a quarter of a tank left. I was taught that at an early age because in the winter any less and your fuel might freeze in the tank.

My car only has about 450 miles on it so far though so I'm not getting good MPG. Just did my 2nd fill up yesterday.

·
Registered
92 Posts
401 miles at the first fill up. The ascent calculated "miles to 0" was saying i could go about another 50 miles. Normal commuting, about 30% highway.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only way I will ever be able to get close to 500 miles on a tank is if I carry an extra 5 gallons in the back.

At a bit over 1500 miles, I'm getting 22 highway and 17 city, if I'm careful. I keep waiting for the break-in period to increase my mileage, but I'm not holding my breath.

I can get 24 highway if I measure it between two gas stations on the interstate without stops in between, but who ever sees those driving conditions?

Also, the vehicle AVG MPG meter is optimistic. My calculations show it is about 1 mpg too high.

My previous car was an Expedition that got 14 city and 17 highway so I'm still happy with the Ascent even though it's published MPG is higher than realistic. That is a disappoointment because my wife's 2014 Forester has consistently beat the published figures. Albeit, she has no turbocharger.

·
Registered
680 Posts
i'm in Dallas, Texas too and getting 22 highway and 17 city is very normal for me , i can get it to 24-20 but its just too-much effort ..

·
Registered
210 Posts
i'm in Dallas, Texas too and getting 22 highway and 17 city is very normal for me , i can get it to 24-20 but its just too-much effort ..

All these Dallas people and I STILL haven't seen an Ascent in the wild!! I was on the Route Safety Crew for the Komen 3Day weekend before last and I thought I would definitely see one because I would literally be standing in the streets for 20ish hours over the course of the weekend....but no, not one in sight. Although, had I seen one, I may have scared the driver in my tutu and cowgirl hat!

·
Registered
334 Posts
My overall average is 22mpg over 21k miles calculated by Fuelio. I have a typical commute of 405 miles with freeway speeds of mostly 80mph. If I fill up when the light comes on, I won't make it to my destination. But I'm always close. Now if I pushed it, I think I could make it to my destination of 405 miles but it's easier to just fill up within about 20 miles. If I encounter construction where the speed limit is lowered, I actually have a better chance of making it on one tank. 70 mph gives better gas mileage than 80 mph.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts