Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have just at 390 miles on the car, or about 1 tank. I know new engines are tight, but so far, I have to say the mileage is not even close to the sticker. I have been following the break in procedures and haven't revved the engine over 4k, no jackrabbit starts....haven't really driven more than 5mph over posted speeds and no extended idling time. About 70% of the driving has been highway, not stop and go. So far, hand calculated, I am averaging 14.9MPG.

Is this a known issue with Subaru that the engines show poor MPG during break in? I get it, but less than 15 seems on the low side. The instant calculator (not accurate I know) seems to range from 17 to mid 20's....with a few high and low spikes. I have 2 friends with Ascents and both are above 25MPG on average.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
There are plenty of threads on fuel economy in the relevant forum discussion areas. There are some folks/some vehicles that for some reason have lower fuel economy performance that most. Some of that is driving style; some is environmental and some is just that particular vehicle. If you live in an area where the weather has turned cold, that's going to affect things, too. Give it some time if you've only put one tank of fuel through. And keep your revs below 2500 as much as possible.

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
3,722 Posts
Only averaging 22.6 on my Ascent. Disappointing since I was averaging 33 on my Forester Sport
Compare the weight and size... These are not comparable vehicles when it comes to fuel economy. We have both an Ascent and a Forester so I know that from experience.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My Ascent has 4,000 miles on it. If I replace the factory filter with a K&N filter which help with mileage will that void the warranty?

·
Registered
15 Posts
My average didn’t start creeping up to over 20 until after (if I’m remembering right) 1000 miles. But like everyone said- you need to mind how you drive it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So I have just at 390 miles on the car, or about 1 tank. I know new engines are tight, but so far, I have to say the mileage is not even close to the sticker. I have been following the break in procedures and haven't revved the engine over 4k, no jackrabbit starts....haven't really driven more than 5mph over posted speeds and no extended idling time. About 70% of the driving has been highway, not stop and go. So far, hand calculated, I am averaging 14.9MPG.

Is this a known issue with Subaru that the engines show poor MPG during break in? I get it, but less than 15 seems on the low side. The instant calculator (not accurate I know) seems to range from 17 to mid 20's....with a few high and low spikes. I have 2 friends with Ascents and both are above 25MPG on average.
Same here … we have been getting 14 mpg in the city. It must go to the service shop. The more of us doing it the better. Maybe Subaru will wake up and understand that Ascent is a big turd when it come to mpg.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts