Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
When I ordered my WRX, it had a few miles on it by the time I picked it up at the dealer. This was expected since it was shipped from overseas and had to be moved around a bit.
What should the mileage be on a vehicle being built here have on it when you go to pick it up? If it has 10 miles on it, then I am going to assume the dealer allowed people to test drive it and will be a bit angry.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I never understood the mileage worry. But given you ordered it and it wont have a chance to be dealer swapped iits likey to have less than 3-5 miles on it. Legitimate dealers do not show or test drive purchased cars.

On the flip side my OB was dealer swapped at least 2 times driven between dealers. Then I shipped it 450 miles in another dealer swap. At the time it was the only blue Limited west of the Mississippi. So it had 200 miles on the odo when we picked it up. No big deal. Our Legacy bought a day after delivery had 8 miles on it all from our test drive.

My prior legacy had 15 miles on it 10 from my test drive.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I would expect 10 miles or less. Carl can probably speak more to how much vehicles are moved around at the IN factory but I'm sure they still travel some from lot to lot and onto and off of trains/trucks etc. Knowing your dealer's practices is key but by me my dealerships would not allow test drives on a "sold order." They come in, get PDI'd and parked until delivery.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I would expect 10 miles or less. Carl can probably speak more to how much vehicles are moved around at the IN factory but I'm sure they still travel some from lot to lot and onto and off of trains/trucks etc. Knowing your dealer's practices is key but by me my dealerships would not allow test drives on a "sold order." They come in, get PDI'd and parked until delivery.
I can understand worrying about miles when you order a new vehicle as if they let someone test drive a new model because someone might have decided to thrash it during the test.

I know my wife's mazda 6 that was ordered was delivered to the wrong dealership and driven 150 miles to our dealership. They relented and gave my wife 5 free oil changes as we waited 4 months for the car to come in.

Saying all of that I expect 10 miles or less. Anymore and I really will question what the dealership is doing since the car was spoken for upon taking delivery.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My dealership said from the time my car arrives to them it is considered sold. That the service department will give it one final quality check but that no one as far as customers will be allowed to even sit in it. He said less than 10 miles on it. We were concerned with other people being allowed to check out our car as well being that for the most part it’s a family car and I didn’t want kids climbing all over the interior and I certainly didn’t want anyone to be able to test drive it.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
I can understand worrying about miles when you order a new vehicle as if they let someone test drive a new model because someone might have decided to thrash it during the test.

I know my wife's mazda 6 that was ordered was delivered to the wrong dealership and driven 150 miles to our dealership. They relented and gave my wife 5 free oil changes as we waited 4 months for the car to come in.

Saying all of that I expect 10 miles or less. Anymore and I really will question what the dealership is doing since the car was spoken for upon taking delivery.

·
Registered
245 Posts
On the flip side my OB was dealer swapped at least 2 times driven between dealers. Then I shipped it 450 miles in another dealer swap. At the time it was the only blue Limited west of the Mississippi. So it had 200 miles on the odo when we picked it up. No big deal. .
I guess if you really wanted the vehicle that bad, then its obviously your choice.

As for me...I'm not accepting a brand new vehicle with 200 miles on it. Just my .02

·
Registered
978 Posts
I guess if you really wanted the vehicle that bad, then its obviously your choice.

As for me...I'm not accepting a brand new vehicle with 200 miles on it. Just my .02
The only OB option to be had within 150 miles at that time were all black interior dark gray exterior. This is CA dark interior and dark exterior cars are last to sell for good reason. It wasn’t about wanting a vehicle that bad it was about simply getting a light interior car. There were only 6 Limited OBs in total within 150 miles of us. When the vehicle choices are essentially zero in a massive state its a very typical thing to do.

·
Registered
965 Posts
When I ordered my WRX, it had a few miles on it by the time I picked it up at the dealer. This was expected since it was shipped from overseas and had to be moved around a bit.
What should the mileage be on a vehicle being built here have on it when you go to pick it up? If it has 10 miles on it, then I am going to assume the dealer allowed people to test drive it and will be a bit angry.
Pretty simple.

The car will get 1 mile put on it before it ever comes off the end of the final inspection line, because they run them on a 4 wheel dyno at about 60 mph for a full minute. Then it's got to go to the accessory building, be driven onto the train, then off the train at the rail head, then onto a truck for delivery, then OFF the truck at the dealership. Then it's got to go to the gas station and if you're having the front roll-ups tinted, off to the tint shop. (We have an off-site location that tints ours.)

Anything under 10 miles on an ordered unit is pretty much normal - we typically see, by the time I'm delivering one without having windows tinted, 6 - 7 miles. If it's got more than that, then it's probably been on a test drive. (BUT - and here's the fun disclaimer - with this being a new engine AND all new cars - they may do one additional test at SIA before the cars get to the accessory building, which will put an additional 2 - 3 miles on the car. Basically once around the test track that's out behind the plant.)

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Pretty simple.

The car will get 1 mile put on it before it ever comes off the end of the final inspection line, because they run them on a 4 wheel dyno at about 60 mph for a full minute. Then it's got to go to the accessory building, be driven onto the train, then off the train at the rail head, then onto a truck for delivery, then OFF the truck at the dealership. Then it's got to go to the gas station and if you're having the front roll-ups tinted, off to the tint shop. (We have an off-site location that tints ours.)

Anything under 10 miles on an ordered unit is pretty much normal - we typically see, by the time I'm delivering one without having windows tinted, 6 - 7 miles. If it's got more than that, then it's probably been on a test drive. (BUT - and here's the fun disclaimer - with this being a new engine AND all new cars - they may do one additional test at SIA before the cars get to the accessory building, which will put an additional 2 - 3 miles on the car. Basically once around the test track that's out behind the plant.)
I've seen "dealer transfers" too, between cooperative dealerships, where the car is driven from one location to another. In some cases, it's the same dealership (there's one in Virginia, for instance, with two locations a decent distance apart, where I'm pretty sure they've had to shuttle a car from one location to another). For instance, Stohlman Subaru has two locations which would add as much as 20 miles to the odometer for a one way trip between dealerships.

·
Registered
965 Posts
I've seen "dealer transfers" too, between cooperative dealerships, where the car is driven from one location to another. In some cases, it's the same dealership (there's one in Virginia, for instance, with two locations a decent distance apart, where I'm pretty sure they've had to shuttle a car from one location to another). For instance, Stohlman Subaru has two locations which would add as much as 20 miles to the odometer for a one way trip between dealerships.
I do dealer trades with other dealerships all the time. There is ONE Subaru dealership within 30 miles of here. Other than that, I'm trading with someone in Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, or Kansas. So you're looking at a minimum of a 200 mile road trip. If I have to get one from Louisiana, we trailer it in - but that's expensive. And we have to pass that cost on - we can't eat a $900 trailer fee.

Keep in mind, too, that if you go on a decent test drive, you're putting 15 miles on the car just on that one test drive. Car sits on the lot for 2 months, but gets a few test drives, it'll quickly build up 200 miles without even trying. That's just part and parcel of living in big, open state.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Pretty simple.

The car will get 1 mile put on it before it ever comes off the end of the final inspection line, because they run them on a 4 wheel dyno at about 60 mph for a full minute. Then it's got to go to the accessory building, be driven onto the train, then off the train at the rail head, then onto a truck for delivery, then OFF the truck at the dealership. Then it's got to go to the gas station
I said roughly the same thing to an overly concerned Type-RA buyer. "blah blah... it shouldn't have more than 4 or 5 miles on it... blah blah" Then the dang things showed up to the dealership with 8 miles on them! I had to show him the odometer on all 3 Tyre-RAs we got just so he'd believe me that we didn't rally his car!

Fun times :)

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I do dealer trades with other dealerships all the time. There is ONE Subaru dealership within 30 miles of here. Other than that, I'm trading with someone in Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, or Kansas. So you're looking at a minimum of a 200 mile road trip. If I have to get one from Louisiana, we trailer it in - but that's expensive. And we have to pass that cost on - we can't eat a $900 trailer fee.

Keep in mind, too, that if you go on a decent test drive, you're putting 15 miles on the car just on that one test drive. Car sits on the lot for 2 months, but gets a few test drives, it'll quickly build up 200 miles without even trying. That's just part and parcel of living in big, open state.
A test drive in SoCal is a trip around the parking lot...yay LOL

I'm going to push for a test drive where i can get this thing up to speed. Might have to try a dealer that's further away

·
Registered
334 Posts
Mine had 3.8 miles on it! Never bought one that just arrived right off the truck. All I've had were at least taken on a test drive or two.

·
Administrator
10,411 Posts
Mine had 9.0 miles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
When I had purchased a NEW Rav4 back in 2007, it also had some mileage on it when I picked it up. Rest assured if it's less than 20 miles, that's expected since it has to move. Test Driving miles. Not likely. Just logistical moving miles.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts