Subaru Ascent Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
^^^ make sure you'll be able to insert it far enough for that new pin hole to line up. There's not a lot of depth behind the receiver. You might have your guy lop 3" off the ball mount shank too while he's at it.

·
Registered
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
1,985 Posts
^^ True dat!!

Reactions: Schwalbster

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I needed a 2" drop and bought a Curt fixed drop. It extends further than the stock Subaru 6" drop but I'm going to have a machine shop drill another pin hole 3" closer to the ball end. This will pull the ball forward to the same as the stock ball mount. My old Draw-tite 0" drop actually had 2 pin holes as purchased but raised the coupler too high.
Interesting didn't even cross my mind to do that! Are there any concerns at all with that? Just measured the clearance on the Subaru hitch and its only 2"
This thing would have room for example:

·
Registered
2020 Ascent Touring
207 Posts
Interesting didn't even cross my mind to do that! Are there any concerns at all with that? Just measured the clearance on the Subaru hitch and its only 2"
This thing would have room for example:
View attachment 4666
I put masking tape on the side of the bar, put it into the receiver until it stopped and backed it off 1/4" to provide some rattle room and marked the tape with a sharpie through the pin hole. Now I've just got to get to a machine shop.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's a nice looking piece! I'm surprised the adjustment is only held with a pin instead of bolting together. Maybe it fits snug enough but it seems you get two sources of rattle to contend with. I use one of the square U bolt anti-rattle devices with the Subaru part, and it completely eliminates hitch noise. We tow a 2500 pound 17' Casita and luckily the Subaru drop is about right.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts