Subaru Ascent Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
Solid rumor has it that it will be 2021. I have an idea of what's coming next for the brand, but, that information isn't yet finalized, or public - and I am not sure how many of whatever features will be included in the Ascent (some don't make sense to see on the Ascent).

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Solid rumor has it that it will be 2021. I have an idea of what's coming next for the brand, but, that information isn't yet finalized, or public - and I am not sure how many of whatever features will be included in the Ascent (some don't make sense to see on the Ascent).
Do you see this more as breaking tradition or more like an expedited "emergency refresh" like the 2013 Civic?

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
Rock', if I'm not mistaken, the "refresh" term is generally going to be "minor but noticeable" updates (tech, maybe some visuals, etc.) and if it's at third model year in for the Ascent (2021 model year - one year earlier than expected), that's not too big a deviation from the normal target for Subaru if they have some special sauce suddenly available. Given Robert's response, there may be a few interesting things as technology marches on just because they can. But I doubt there will be any major redesign at only three years on a normal 5 or so year platform cycle. Despite appearances from early issues, I personally think Ascent is pretty solid overall.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Has Subaru ever actually said how long the Ascent cycle is?
The Forester is only 4 years. Most others are 5 and 6.
I have no doubt we could easily see minor refreshes for MY21.
In fact I expect it. This is one of the most competitive segments there is and Subaru knows it.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I don't think any manufacturer divulges that kind of information. My guesses were based on recent Outback refresh cycles. If the updates come even sooner that's good! I hope some good stuff comes out that might bolt on to the older models, such as updated tail lights, etc. LED light tubes would be nice. The red dots are starting to look dated. First world problems...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Based on what you’ve heard and speculation...would it be worth waiting for the 2021? Been looking at the Limited or Touring and was hoping to purchase within the next couple months, but if anything major will be changed or exciting features are coming, I’d consider holding off.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R, 2003 Honda Pilot EX
74 Posts
One change i expect to see in the refresh whenever it comes, is the Outback/Legacy head unit.
I really liked it when i sat in a 2020 Outback, but the more i think about having to click into the screen to get the heated/ventilated seat settings or other climate controls other than temperature*, the more i like the physical button layout of the 2020 Ascent. Have gotten used to just clicking buttons/turning the knobs on our 2018 Outback.
*frivolous first world problems...sorry.

Reactions: rockthebeef

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I like the way the giant Outback screen looks (when it's off). I don't like how it just consildates everything into a crowded mix of stuff. The full-screen built-in GPS looks pretty good, but if you're an AA/CarPlay user, it just looks bad and ends up much smaller than the 8" screeen we have now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would bet they will incorporate start/stop technology since the Outback now has it. After reading all of the negativity regarding this controversial feature, 2020 appears to be a great year to buy an Ascent. Big discounts, 0% financing. Pretty darn good buy.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I would bet they will incorporate start/stop technology since the Outback now has it. After reading all of the negativity regarding this controversial feature, 2020 appears to be a great year to buy an Ascent. Big discounts, 0% financing. Pretty darn good buy.
I had a 2020 Forester loaner with stop-start. It was horrible. The car shook every time it started back up. Luckily I found a way to come to a stop and not let the engine cut off. I don't remember what I did but I was able to do it at will for the most part. I had a Chevy Cruze rental once and its stop-start was actually decent compared to the Forester. It could take off quickly where the Forester take a second to fully wake up.

...another prediction for the mid-cycle refresh is a "Sport" or "Onyx" trim à la the Forester and Outback, respectively.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Subaru remodels cars (excluding WRX / STi / BRZ) on a 5 year basis.

Forester was 09, 14 and 19
Outback was 10, 15 and 20
Ascent will be 19 and 24.
I would expect a refresh in 21 or 22 as Subaru tends to do a mid-cycle refresh in years 3 or 4. Subaru is releasing the 2021 Ascent test on Thursday which will list any changes, so I should know pretty soon.

·
Registered
120 Posts
i wish they would adopt the 2019 forester center console the chiclet buttons on the bottom of the stack for defrost, ac, recirc seat warming etc too hard to pull eyes off road to find them have my wife do it the ergonomics suck otherwise top notch love it

·
Registered
74 Posts
Subaru remodels cars (excluding WRX / STi / BRZ) on a 5 year basis.

Forester was 09, 14 and 19
Outback was 10, 15 and 20
Ascent will be 19 and 24.
I would expect a refresh in 21 or 22 as Subaru tends to do a mid-cycle refresh in years 3 or 4. Subaru is releasing the 2021 Ascent test on Thursday which will list any changes, so I should know pretty soon.
2021 to be "released on Thursday" ?
Do you have a link to some news about this or is this a hunch based on some previous years introduction/release?

Does anyone know when the pre-orders were actually opened for the 2019 and 2020 model years? I am researching this now...

·
Super Moderator
2019 Ascent Touring (CWP)
4,180 Posts
2021 to be "released on Thursday" ?
Do you have a link to some news about this or is this a hunch based on some previous years introduction/release?
He said "test" which is likely mules with new features to be thoroughly vetted, not the actual product release.

·
Administrator
11,108 Posts
He said "test" which is likely mules with new features to be thoroughly vetted, not the actual product release.
Yep, until those test mules beat my mileage, those changes won't hit the production vehicles.

·
Registered
74 Posts
ah yes... i did see the word "test" but it didnt make sense then... but it does now...
so now we wait for those photos of the mules... hoping to see whats changed soon.
So i wonder if this is why the dealers in TX seem to be happy to reduce the sales price by 4-5K without even asking...?

Reactions: Robert.Mauro

·
Registered
6 Posts
ah yes... i did see the word "test" but it didnt make sense then... but it does now...
so now we wait for those photos of the mules... hoping to see whats changed soon.
So i wonder if this is why the dealers in TX seem to be happy to reduce the sales price by 4-5K without even asking...?
Yea sorry. I'm a salesman. The certification test for the 2021 listing all changes for the new model to be released later this year will be listed on the test. So I can update later. Sorry if it was not clear.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts